DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   PVDV953 frame mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/23879-pvdv953-frame-mode.html)

Riley Harmon March 31st, 2004 11:17 PM

PVDV953 frame mode

should i use frame mode or shoot regular and de-interlace in post for a better film look? post ur opinions/ideas/techniques.
I have a fast machine so magic bullet renders dont bother.

Tavis Shaver April 1st, 2004 01:35 AM

I beleive the general concensus is that you should de-interlace as close to the camera as possible...meaning, you should shoot in frame mode.

Frank Granovski April 1st, 2004 01:36 AM

Ahh, I don't think it matters which way you go. They both pretty much do the same thing. I assume if the cam actually had progressive scan, that would be better than frame mode or de-interlacing. (So progressively captured frames would be better (sharper) than interpolating fields.)

For the film look? Maybe implementing good shooting techniques, including lighting techniques and the use of creative filters, would give you the best film look/s.

To answer your question I would shoot in frame mode instead of interlaced to de-interlace via NLE.

Justin Boyle April 1st, 2004 04:38 PM

Look the way i see it. if the camera has a setting you may as well use it and save ur time instead of doing it in post. I have used frame mode and on my camera tends to be a little jerky and not as smooth as the other footage because it is only 25 instead of 50 interlaced but i think playing it back on tv looks great. probably use normal mode for every day shooting but if you want to do a feature film frame mode can just give it that professional look that you might not necessarily want on ur home videos. Just a thought. I must check all this out for myself a little more. Heh frank does this cam deinterlace or does it just sample one frame instead of two frames. I just thought that instead of taking two frames and interlacing it just took one frame instead.
Justin

Guy Bruner April 1st, 2004 06:49 PM

Shoot some video in frame mode and in interlaced and see how they look to you. Frame mode can look very good especially if your deinterlacing method reduces resolution (and most do). However, be aware that frame mode is a max of 720x340 due to the interpolation used. Compare this to normal DV at 720x360 (again due to interpolation). Also, the chroma sampling is reduced in frame mode so you won't get as good a color reproduction.

AFAIK, all CCDs are progressive scan devices. In interlaced mode, the CCD samples at 60 frames per second and outputs 1/2 the total scan lines (a field) to a buffer which then writes to tape, samples again and outputs the other 1/2 scan lines (second field)to buffer which writes to tape. In frame mode, the CCD samples once each 1/30 second and 1/2 the scan lines (fields) are output from buffer each 1/60 second. Since frame mode captures both fields at the same time, motion blur is reduced.

Riley Harmon April 2nd, 2004 08:27 PM

amazing discovery....

if you shoot frame mode, capture using vegas, it thinks it captured a progressive scan clip, NO JOKE, i didnt have to change any settings, and get this: once i captured, i placed in a "24p" project setting, and it looked amazing, i also set deinterlacing method to none, i dunno how it turned out good, but it did, and i couldnt see any resolution loss, although im sure there was a bit

Justin Boyle April 4th, 2004 01:00 AM

can anyone else comment on this. sounds like i might have to get a copy of vegas to try this out.

Justin

Riley Harmon April 4th, 2004 01:15 AM

i think vegas is invaluable, b/c it has SO MANY options, especially if you get the dvd package, although i do like adobe encore a lot more, but i think the vegas 5.1 mixing is worth getting the dvd package along with ( gives 5.1 plugin to vegas)

Guy Bruner April 4th, 2004 06:24 AM

Yep, Vegas is dabomb!! Riley, don't forget to get Satish Kumar's WAX plugin. Does 3D text, rotoscoping, etc. You can download it from www.debugmode.com.

John Gaspain April 5th, 2004 11:29 AM

tagged