PVDV953 frame mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 31st, 2004, 11:17 PM   #1
Major Player

PVDV953 frame mode

should i use frame mode or shoot regular and de-interlace in post for a better film look? post ur opinions/ideas/techniques.
I have a fast machine so magic bullet renders dont bother.
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:35 AM   #2
Major Player

I beleive the general concensus is that you should de-interlace as close to the camera as possible...meaning, you should shoot in frame mode.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:36 AM   #3
Outer Circle

Ahh, I don't think it matters which way you go. They both pretty much do the same thing. I assume if the cam actually had progressive scan, that would be better than frame mode or de-interlacing. (So progressively captured frames would be better (sharper) than interpolating fields.)

For the film look? Maybe implementing good shooting techniques, including lighting techniques and the use of creative filters, would give you the best film look/s.

To answer your question I would shoot in frame mode instead of interlaced to de-interlace via NLE.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Look the way i see it. if the camera has a setting you may as well use it and save ur time instead of doing it in post. I have used frame mode and on my camera tends to be a little jerky and not as smooth as the other footage because it is only 25 instead of 50 interlaced but i think playing it back on tv looks great. probably use normal mode for every day shooting but if you want to do a feature film frame mode can just give it that professional look that you might not necessarily want on ur home videos. Just a thought. I must check all this out for myself a little more. Heh frank does this cam deinterlace or does it just sample one frame instead of two frames. I just thought that instead of taking two frames and interlacing it just took one frame instead.
Justin
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Shoot some video in frame mode and in interlaced and see how they look to you. Frame mode can look very good especially if your deinterlacing method reduces resolution (and most do). However, be aware that frame mode is a max of 720x340 due to the interpolation used. Compare this to normal DV at 720x360 (again due to interpolation). Also, the chroma sampling is reduced in frame mode so you won't get as good a color reproduction.

AFAIK, all CCDs are progressive scan devices. In interlaced mode, the CCD samples at 60 frames per second and outputs 1/2 the total scan lines (a field) to a buffer which then writes to tape, samples again and outputs the other 1/2 scan lines (second field)to buffer which writes to tape. In frame mode, the CCD samples once each 1/30 second and 1/2 the scan lines (fields) are output from buffer each 1/60 second. Since frame mode captures both fields at the same time, motion blur is reduced.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:27 PM   #6
Major Player

amazing discovery....

if you shoot frame mode, capture using vegas, it thinks it captured a progressive scan clip, NO JOKE, i didnt have to change any settings, and get this: once i captured, i placed in a "24p" project setting, and it looked amazing, i also set deinterlacing method to none, i dunno how it turned out good, but it did, and i couldnt see any resolution loss, although im sure there was a bit
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:00 AM   #7
Major Player

can anyone else comment on this. sounds like i might have to get a copy of vegas to try this out.

Justin
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #8
Major Player

i think vegas is invaluable, b/c it has SO MANY options, especially if you get the dvd package, although i do like adobe encore a lot more, but i think the vegas 5.1 mixing is worth getting the dvd package along with ( gives 5.1 plugin to vegas)
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #9
Major Player

Yep, Vegas is dabomb!! Riley, don't forget to get Satish Kumar's WAX plugin. Does 3D text, rotoscoping, etc. You can download it from www.debugmode.com.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #10
Major Player

tagged

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant