GS100K Video Capture problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GS100K Video Capture problem

Whenever I capture video from my GS100K to my PC, I lose a lot of detail in the picture. In particular, bright objects like snow lose a lot of the detail that I can see in the LCD and just show up as a big block of white. I use Premiere Pro to capture video by the way. Is this likely a setting in Premiere, my camera or perhaps something to do with the video card in my comptuer? I've tried modifiying ever setting I can think of but have had no improvement in picture quality. Any thoughts?
Jamie Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Major Player

i use Vegas to capture and i find the opposite, generally my lcd is brighter than the actual captured video. I don't have any advice on your query tho unfortunately.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Allan Rejoso once posted that there have been complaints (I think he meant in Japan) because the lcd screen on the gs100 actually shows you a much better picture than you are getting on tape. That could be a contributary factor. Possibly one way to test the end result (as opposed to what might be happening on your computer screen, in your NLE or with your video card) is to play your footage back on your television - assuming that that is where you will eventually be showing it to others. Of course your television could also give you a false result, but it may help you determine where the problem is. (Better yet, of course, if you have the kind of monitors the pros on this board recommend, but that's another story.)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #4
Major Player

sorry but i disagree with all of you. if the video footage can look great on the lcd then it can certainly look great on computer and tv. Jamie ur problem is that ur monitor is set wrong. try playing with ur brightness and contrasts and you will find that it will be fixed instantly. get some color charts from premiere. just search help to find them. make a loop of them and put them to ur tape and then play them on the tv and set them right. do a search for smpte color bars on the net too and find some instructions on how to use them. you will find setting the contrast and birhgtness quite easy and with color, just set it to ur liking when watching footage. it can be a little hard with the color bars. I hope that will fix ur problem. try this on ur computer monitor too. you will find that you wont have enough control through ur monitor so change the settings in ur graphics card and you should be set. good luck. The reason the lcd may look brighter and better is because the brightness and contast ratio may be somewhat brighter then ur computer or tv.

Justin
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #5
Major Player

it could be that the gamma level on your video card is cranked up too high. Does black displayed on your monitor look quite dark or does it appear grey-ish, if it does then that could be your problem. By the way your site's great.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
sorry but i disagree with all of you. if the video footage can look great on the lcd then it can certainly look great on computer and tv.
I don't know about that one. The GS100 LCD can be very deceiving as it tends to show little or no noise that is easily detected on my 17" LCD monitor and HDTV. I also calibrate all of my video monitors.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll give it all a try and let you know what happens.
Jamie Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:19 AM   #8
Major Player

yes I guess that that is true tommy but i think that one of the issues here is that the footage on the gs-100 lcd is a lot brighter so makes it look better saturated and better quality. what i was refering to is the fact that the same info going to ur lcd is also going to tape so you are not going to lose quality by putting it to tape. I think by memory pal has something like 625 lines and ntsc was about 525 or something and given this i don't think there should be problem. also since the footage is stored in digital, it shouldn't matter what tape you use because it is just 1's and 0's. I know with analog that when my dad used different tapes the saturation might be better on one then the other. i am suggesting that you wont have this problem with digital. the only problem you might get is artifacts which comes down to the quality of the tape. Anyways guys stop being such hard critics on ur footage just sit back and enjoy it. believe me they are good cameras and if the gs-100 is better then mx500 then you should all be happy. Best of luck

Justin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant