Warrantee service for a dv852 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Warrantee service for a dv852

Is there anything I need to know before sending it in for repair?
i Bought from B&H
ii It's just a few days before the Panasonic 90-day labor warrantee ends
iii I have a 4-year warrantee from Mack

The problem is with the Firewire output. After 2 1394 cards and time with tech support for the both cards and video software, a call to B&H put the problable cause with the camera.
I understand that service with consumer cams can be a headache.

Should I attempt to rush it over to Panasonic before the 90th day ( that's the 10th..), or send it to Mack?

If it can't be repaired, is there a comparable model? It sounds like all the new models stress miniaturization and gadgetry, and need more light. The 852 works in fairly dim conditions which is essential for me.

thanks folks,

Larry
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I would send it to Pana right away. If they can't fix it, tell them you want a replacement: another PV-DV852. If that's not possible, tell them you take one of their new PV-GS400's off their hands, or maybe a JVC GR-DV900U---because you need the low light. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Wrangler

Laurence, did you try different firewire cables and other computers?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've only got 1 computer <I reccomend that everyone have a backup machine... and will follow my advice when $ allows...>. FWIW, the cards looked OK in XP's device manager.
I have tried 2 cables and 2 cards. The cam is the last item I'd suspect; it was B&H's suggestion.

I hope I'm hitting the right target and not just sending the cam on a vacation. Panny says they still have parts. They also said that I have 2 extra weeks until they receive it to allow for shipping (Purchase date was 1/11, it shipped out from B&H on the 12th).

- Larry
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

laurence,
I don't know if you read my thread, but I recently purchased an 852 and had my own problems. I'm not sure what yours are, but I was getting random colored blocks flash on the video every few seconds. I also tried two cards and cables and contacted Panasonic via email. I finally ruled the camera out after installing one of my cards in my parents computer (they have xp so windows movie maker was already installed) and capturing a couple minutes- no blocks.

If you are having a similar problem I would highly suggest finding someone who will let you mess with their computer and give that a shot.

Adam
Adam VanScoyoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks...
My invoice is from 1/11, so with the extra time allowed by Panny I need to ship it out by the 14th to be safe. A little extra time but not much. I'd feel better sending it by this Saturday.
I can check if anyone I know has an appropriate machine, I'm doubtful that I can work that out in the time available.

My problem is that video has never been imported at all. Once, the cam was recognized and it began rewinding, but subsequently the cam was not detected with either card.

What sort of computer gave you the issue? Sounds like a video card or perhaps speed issue. This Thinkpad is new, has ATI Fire GL 9000 for video and there's 768 for ram so it should be adaquate in spec. There could still be some odd hardware or software problem with this machine. I might try Best Buy or Micro Center, see if they'll allow a test with their hardware.

If it is the cam, I need to ship it out pretty soon.

Adam - I searched with your name, but found only your "azden 990 or A.T. ATR55 for dv953?" post.

- Larry
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I think my thread is now on the second page of this forum. I have an amd athlon 1ghz with via133 chipset, which someone mentioned on a webpage that they had problems with the same setup. They managed to straighten it out by flashing the bios? that is out of my league, I'll probably screw my computer up for good if I tried that!

That is a great Idea about trying a computer at best buy or something. most computers have firewire ports now days anyhow. They might just let you hook it up. it's worth a try.

I still haven't used the camera a whole lot yet but I am impressed with the low light capability, even on auto there is usually very little noise.

Good luck with that thing, I hope you get this mess straightened out.
Adam VanScoyoc is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant