DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   DVC30 vs Sony TRV950 - Which is better value? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/24290-dvc30-vs-sony-trv950-better-value.html)

Don Leung April 8th, 2004 07:46 AM

DVC30 vs Sony TRV950 - Which is better value?

Due to Sony Canada's ridiculous pricing (and apparently not allowing retailers to sell below MSRP) I can get the Panasonic DVC30 for the same price as the Sony TRV950.

I want a somewhat portable higher end 3CCD camcorder that is flexible in typical operation except that I don't care about still shot capability (as I have film and digital cameras).

Good 16:9 might be something I want as I currently have an HDTV and don't ever see myself buying another aspect ratio TV ever.

The GS400 might be a lower priced alternative depending on what it's specifications and capabilities turn out to be.

Anybody have any experience or opinions in the matter?

Thanks
Don

Joe Garnero April 8th, 2004 08:40 AM

Well, I myself am waiting for the DVC30. I've tried the PDX10 for its form-factor and excelent 16x9 but found the ergonomics to be detrimental to hand-held use (pulls forward and left). I also found it's susceptibility to smear to be the killer.

So I tried the GL2 from Canon. Good video, rather large, poor ergonomics (my fat fingers couldn't find the tiny buttons), OK LCD but terrible viewfinder.

I was ready to by the DVC80 but it lacks a few features I would like to see like focus and zoom reference displays.

Then the DVC30 was announced and it looks like a winner, on paper.

Since the TRV950 doesn't have the same true 16x9 as the PDX10 I would say the DVC30 is in the running. The DVC30's bigger CCD (1/4 vs 1/6) is also a plus. I suspect the DVC30 will have better unassisted low-light perofrmance. Add the 16x zoom and you have a pretty good package.

I also like the reconfigurability of the DVC30 so I can set it up for pro-look with xlr etc, or just a handle for carrynig, or the compact just grab the cam and go.

What it's really going to boil down to is what type of shooting you plan on doing and what price you are willing to pay. Hopefully you'll be able to go to a store and at least handle both cams. I know that's what I'm waiting to do here in the states.

Frank Granovski April 8th, 2004 06:23 PM

Although I haven't seen or tried the DVC30, my guess would be that the DVC30 is the better cam, unless you needed widescreen; and then the PDX10 would be the way to go. An even better route, with regards to less cost, is the GS100. You'd just have to deal with the Japanese menus and buy an XLR adaptor, if you wanted XLRs. And if low light isn't a concern, the PV-DV953 still looks sweet in my eyes.

Shawn Mielke April 9th, 2004 12:54 AM

Between the 950 and the dvc30, I'm inclined to head for the dvc, though I'm curious to see what people have to say about it. If 16:9 is what matters as much as anything else, the PDX10 is great, though I don't know what that goes for in Canada.

Frank Granovski April 9th, 2004 01:32 AM

As Joe mentioned about the TRV950/PDX10 ergonomics, you'd need a DV Caddie for hand-hold shooting.

Shawn Mielke April 9th, 2004 02:42 AM

There are better balanced cameras, it's true, but the PDX is by no means impossible, or even more trouble than it's worth, given the brilliant imagery. This goes for the 950 as well, although the dvc reads as very well balanced.

Frank Granovski April 9th, 2004 03:11 AM

I've found a lot of Sony hand-helds difficult to hand-hold, but that doesn't mean that they are bad cams. There's always the pro's and the cons.

Still no GS400 specs available.

Boyd Ostroff April 9th, 2004 06:38 PM

For me personally the main attraction of the PDX-10 is the high quality 16:9, but the other features like XLR's, DVCAM and the BW viewfinder are also plusses. Unfortunately the TRV-950 has none of these. From reading the brochure and specs, the DVC-30 looks really nice, and it sure sounds like it would be nicer than the 950. The only thing it's lacking is sufficient pixels for good 16:9. But personally, I wouldn't want to be the first kid on the block to buy a camcorder that just started shipping. Looking at a Panasonic ad I noted that the XLR block for the DVC-30 is listed as an optional accessory. How much does that add to the overall price?

Don Leung April 9th, 2004 07:21 PM

Boyd:

I think the Sony PDX10 is about $500 CDN more than the DVC30.

If I buy the XLR and mic from Panasonic accessories then the total cost for the standard PDX10 will be equal to the cost of the DVC30 plus XLR and microphone (so both will be similarly equipped).

I just wish that I had a better handle on the DVC30 16:9 capability before I make my decision on whether either of these two is right for me.

I do like the handle adapter on the DVC30 for carrying and shooting ease in certain situations though.

Don

Boyd Ostroff April 9th, 2004 08:38 PM

Well I think the DVC-30 has around 400,000 pixels on its CCD's and the PDX-10 has about 1,000,000. That should give you an idea of which will deliver a better 16:9 image. One would expect the DVC-30 to have 16:9 quality similar to the VX-2000. I did a comparison of these two cameras awhile ago: http://www.greenmist.com/pdx10/chart

Of course there are a number of other ways in which the DVC-30 sounds like it would be nicer than the PDX-10, such as low light performance and control functions.

Frank Granovski April 12th, 2004 04:03 AM

Don, have you considered buying from the USA, like from B&H? Big savings! For the price of the DVC30 in Canada, you can probably buy a PDX10 or a DVC80 from the USA. Just a suggestion.

Justin Boyle April 14th, 2004 04:40 AM

heh all
can anyone tell me
is the pd100 the same as the pdx10 or is it just the pro model of the 900.
thanks

Frank Granovski April 14th, 2004 04:53 AM

I know that you know but I'm sure not everyone knows, so: The PDX10 is the professional black version of the TRV950 and the PD100/a is the professional black version of the older TRV900. Furthermore, the PD170 is the pro black version of the VX21000 and the PD150 is the pro black version of the older VX2000---which isn't all that older than the VX2100 when one compares their specs. I hope I got that right. Perhaps Fred can correct me. :-))

I forgot to mention that the VX2100 is darker than the older VX2000 but not as dark as the PD170.

Justin Boyle April 14th, 2004 04:56 AM

heh frank thanks for that. i actually found that out as i decided not to be lazy and did a search to find out for myself. i would say that you got it alright but it appears that there is a new model out. well judging by your post anyway. so tell me a little more about the vx-21000..................
Justin

Frank Granovski April 14th, 2004 05:03 AM

There you have it! Another model. Go figure. It's sleep time now, but tomorrow's another day.