PVGS70 or PVGS120? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 21st, 2004, 08:50 PM   #1
New Boot

PVGS70 or PVGS120?

Say, there are some new low-end 3-chip panasonic models out now that I see advertise, the PVVS70 and 120. In fact, they're selling for within $20 of one another and look the same, and I haven't seen any reviews. Which one is better, or are they both terrible, or ?????

My needs are not extreme, will mostly use it for dubbing, but wouldn't mind having a 3CCD camcorder if I can get it for around 600 bucks.

Anyone out there have any thoughts?

thanks

- a clueless guy with lots of video
Don White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:31 AM   #2
Outer Circle

The GS120 replaces the GS70, but the GS200 seems to be more like the GS70. How's that? I think it was Allan who mentioned that you get more bang for the buck with the GS70. Maybe he can chime in.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but I am eyeing both, trying to make a decision.

The 120 has a higher pixel count.....I wonder if it's noticably so.
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:31 PM   #4
Major Player

The PQ of all 3 are about the same. The electronic image stabilizer of the GS200 is reportedly better than the other two.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:36 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm seeing in some of the old threads that the Effective video pixel count on the 70 is around 290k, where the 120 is over 400k........

I'm also having trouble determining the amount of manual control on the 70 and 120. I see the 200 has full manual. Doubt that they have zebra patterns........

EDIT: Found the manual info...downloaded the instructions. It looks like the Shutter mode is more of a shutter priority mode than full manual, fine for my needs though.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Don't know about the GS70 but the GS120 has full manual control (well the same as the GS200). The 200 has a manual focus ring that the 120 does not have. But, the 120 will manually focus using a slider switch.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:42 PM   #7
Major Player

The 70 and 120 use exactly the same CCDs
Video: 460K gross/290K effective
Stills: 460K gross/280K effective

They have the same interpolated still resolution (1280 x 960)

Their lenses have the same ratings:
F1.8 f=2.45-24.5mm, 42-420mm (35mm equivalent), 37mm thread

Advantages of the 70 over the 120

Manual focus ring
Built-in flash (guide #6)
MPEG4 recording
Air-soft grip (To die for!!! :-))
Better looking LCD with AI (but no power LCD)
More convenient and faster manual operation (using the thumbwheel)

Advantages of the 120 over the 70

Crystal Engine (the previous one)
Power LCD
Simultaneous recording to tape and still
Full speed USB2.0
Higher resolution EVF (123K against 110K)
Smaller and lighter by 40 grams
Very easy to use dial mode (universal design) under full auto mode
Longer battery life (by 15 mins using the 1360mAh batt)

The 70 is claimed to be better than the 100 in terms of smearing. The 120 and 200 are reported to be even cleaner than the 70 in low-light (probably because of the Crystal Engine).

If you want (relatively) soft focus with nice color saturation, the 70 or 120 should fit.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Outside of family vacation usage, the camera will mostly be used in a housing and locked down on a tripod, and as a capture devide for big brothers. The manual shutter speed control was my major concern, but I won't be running and gunning, so the thumb wheel, though handy, may not be a huge concern.

GS-70's can be had below $400 for the intrepid. May or may not have a valid warranty.

120's.....Under 600 from a reputable dealer. Definate warranty, plus an extended that covers head replacement.

Could you elaborate on a couple of points?

"Air-soft grip (To die for!!! :-))
Better looking LCD with AI (but no power LCD)

If you want (relatively) soft focus......"

EDIT: And what the devil is a black mamba?!?!?
Old September 5th, 2004, 11:40 PM   #9
Tourist

Only know of the GS70, but what a value!

Gentlemen,

I'm very new to these threads. I can't speak first hand to the 120's or 200's, but after 7 months of working with the GS70 for my role as company trainer and videographer, I just bought one from Costco.com for $479 right after returning with the company's two from a trip to China.

The GS70 provides a picture quality we paid tens of thousands for in broadcasting 15 years ago, my background until this gig. I'm sure there are features the GS70 doesn't have, but in my exploits, I haven't encountered them yet. For home videos, I've now migrated from VHS to HI8 to miniDV. I can't believe I spent $1k on my goofy VHS RCA camcorder, just 15 years ago. Like computers, the longer you wait, the more you'll get for your money. I assume it's Panasonics replacement of the 70 that has made it so incredibly affordable. I may buy a second for redundancy. That's why I have two for work. I can be in the factory shooting while capturing my previous work to the Mac G5 I now edit with. Now, that's an editor's computer!

Bob
Bob Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #10
New Boot

I AGREE WITH BOB LITTLE!!!

For the money, this is a remarkable little camera. Outside, it shoots a comperable picture to my VX-2000!
As far as low light goes: IMPORT SOME and be happy!
I also through on a cheap Sony wide angle adapter and can't believe what I can get.

Jay

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant