GS400 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #61
Major Player

YYEEAAHHHHHH !!!!

we got em' ! =)

finally looks like Pana-Canada gave up!
(or someone will actually inport those units, if imported there may be a problem with warranty, but.. WHO CARES!? =) )

---------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. The PV GS400 will be available around mid JUNE, the price will be available around end of May.

Thank you for your interest in ****.CA
---------------------------------------------

****.CA is a very reputable company... and so are their prices =/ but they sell usually mostly to pros.
you can buy or lease equipment. there's a store in Toronto so.... =) i feel lucky today!
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:18 AM   #62
Major Player

http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/produc....do?pg=14&np=2

The above link lists all new products of Pany Japan consumer electronics. The latest one to be out on 21 June 2004. July 2004 releases should be added soon.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #63
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear :
I think 720p/1080i is great for right now. -->>>

have to remember tommy that all the LCoS devices upscale the image to 1080p, so whether it be 480i/p 576i/p 720i/p or 1080i, it will upscale it to a much nicer 1080p, which i think will be worth it, even if it does cost me an arm and a leg, but then i'd be getting these displays for a hometheater system, not as an editing monitor, sony had a nice widescreen 24" CRT monitor out at one stage, but i can't seem to find it any more, it used an FW tube which was never available in australia. we only got the crappy ones, now all there seems to be is the low end CRT's and lousy LCD monitors =/
Kamal Tailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #64
Regular Crew

i just want to confirm something, will all the GS400's that come out be PAL versions?? even the ones sold in Japan and the US??

cos Pana australia is being pretty tight lipped about it, they didn't have a announcement date, or a estimated price, just a few of the specs that have been posted on all the other pana sites.
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #65
Wrangler

Quote:
have to remember tommy that all the LCoS devices upscale the image to 1080p
I use a 50" LCD rear projection (for home theater) that upconverts everything to 788p but trust me when I say its not all its cracked up to be. You cannot take SD and make it look like HD and all of these up-conversions can take a toll on how your video looks. I don't see a 1080p TV useful right now unless its for corporate videos running from a PC (or you're Bill Gates).

Marketing hype confuses a lot of folks when they think there video is being upconverted soley to benefit the viewer. The truth is that your TV is performing this upconversion soley because its a fixed pixel device with a native resolution. It'll vary from set to set but you'll often have video that is inundated with artifacts.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #66
Regular Crew

thanx tommy, i am aware of the artifacting involved when upscaling, as i've seen it, nasty nasty stuff that..... but apparently the farduja(or how ever you spell it) company in the US has the best upscaling and conversion methods at a big price, they make line doublers for CRT projectors, and have adapted their knowledge to the digital projection market, i know this is probably a whole lot of marketing spiel, but hey we're all a sucker for it at one time or another, and with all products that you choose to buy, always take a look at it with your own eyes, first, as only the viewer can tell what is medocre and what is fan-damn-tastic in his eyes.

i for one would like to see what the JVC D-ILA projector can do when it is released. i want to see some upscaled PAL dvd's and some upscaled 1080i images, currently in australia no one is broadcasting in 720p, even though it is specified in the Digital broadcast charter in australia. some guy in an electronics store said they will never broadcast in 720p i should have suggested he look at the charter.

i would like to find a CRT tv that displays 720p, but there's only the sony one at the moment that claims to be able to show it, but i've seen it and think that artifacting present in 'HD' res that they are broadcasting is horrible
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #67
Wrangler

Native 720p CRT? That would be nice.

As for 1080p TVs.. I wouldn't mind having one for my home theater PC (HTPC). 1920x1080 for PC gaming sounds fun.

Now we must sit back with our high resolution TVs and wait for camcorders to play catch-up.
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #68
Wrangler

George, those Sony CRTs are HEAVY. I parted with my 34" widescreen HD Wega last year for my current 50" Wega LCD projection. The 50" projection weighs in at 86 lbs. compared to the 200 lbs. of the KV-34XBR800.

Still, its hard to beat the black levels of a CRT based TV. LCoS, DLP, LCD, and Plasma just can't hang.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #69
Outer Circle

Kamal. it's for sure that the GS400 will be coming out of Pana head office, Sydney Australia.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

Tried "shopping around" and of course, some dealers are honest enough to say the PV-GS400 will be available in several week's time, but nothing beats this place:

http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=7127&section=

they not only list the pv-gs400 as "in stock" and available on their website, but if you try calling them, they say that "they sold everything and are out of stock!

I don't believe them (that they even had one unit available) but if you don't believe me, try giving them a call. hehe! Although I do wish they had it in stock, so we can see the specs. :)
Joby Arandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:09 PM   #71
Outer Circle

Is that link a US dealer? If it is, you can check them out here:

Foto is German isn't it?

http://www.resellerratings.com
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:31 AM   #72
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Kamal. it's for sure that the GS400 will be coming out of Pana head office, Sydney Australia. -->>>

i certainly hope so, cos i e-mailed the website asking about a replacement for the MX500 the first e-mail i got was from one guy said he didn't know anything about it
after i found out about the GS400, i sent another e-mail asking about a release date etc etc, and they gave me basic specs that everyone already knows about and price: TBA release date TBA
TBA = To Be Announced for those of you that didn't know. ;) hehehe

i'm hoping it will be released here, but i will ultimately opt for getting it when i arrive in Japan on the 13th of July, so i can get the sexy black version =)
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:54 AM   #73
Outer Circle

Quote:
i'm hoping it will be released here
It will be released in Australia, just in time for a Down_Under Winter.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:44 AM   #74
Major Player

Kamal, PAL cams are more expensive in Tokyo than Singapore or Malaysia but supposed to be cheaper compared to Europe (according to some of my previous guests from the UK and Germany - because of the high rate of sales taxes there).

Just for reference, the last few units of the MX500A still sell at JPY190,000. It was JPY198,000 when it first came out. The GS200 sells for JPY120,000.

If you're willing to use Jap NTSC, you're going to save hundreds of dollars or tens of thousands of yens, and probably get a limited edition black or white or pink or blue model :-))

The 953 was never sold in Japan, thus, perhaps the US NTSC version of the GS400 won't be sold in Japan too.

It seems the best deals for PAL cams are in Southeast Asia, but for genuine and hard to find Pany accessories, of course Japan is the place to buy.

Anyway, I'll post the price of PAL GS400 (in Japan) if and when it finally comes out, hopefully before 13 July 2004.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #75
Regular Crew

winter has already hit hard and heavy down here =/

in melbourne anyway, i hear it's still pleasent up in sydney
Kamal Tailor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant