DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS100 help needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/24939-gs100-help-needed.html)

Frank Granovski April 22nd, 2004 06:32 PM

GS100 help needed

Su asks for help via an e-mail. Could someone please help her? Thanks.
Quote:

I've borrowed this model camcorder from someone and it's in Japanese. I have translation of the buttons, but no manual to speak of. I'm editing a sequence which I want to lay back to miniDV and don't know if this camera has that capability.

Under the VCR Mode Menu, there are recording setups, which indicate to me that recording while in VCR should work. I'm running firewire from my Mac into the camera directly. It's playing the sequence in the LCD screen on the camera, so I know the signal is there and working. But when I hit the record button, nothing happens. I've even tried the sub recording button (I don't really know what that is) and still nothing happens.

I really have 2 questions and you seem like to guy who would know. First, does it have this capability? Second, if so, how do I get it to work?

I'm not a camera person and I would really appreciate your help on this one.

Thanks so much,
Su L.

Guy Bruner April 22nd, 2004 08:55 PM

Tommy, Allan or Patrica may be the best people to answer this question on the GS100 but on the DV953, you need the IR remote to begin recording in VCR mode.

Allan Rejoso April 22nd, 2004 09:48 PM

GS100 works in the same way. When recording from an external source (VHS or TV) through the AV port, Record Button is on the supplied IR Remote, directly on top of the Play button. (while pressing Record button, press Play).

Just make sure the AV port is set at AV In/Out Mode.

Allan Rejoso April 22nd, 2004 09:53 PM

Oops I just noticed you're trying to record through firewire. No problem, same Remote Operation but you don't need to bother about AV port setting.

George Beck April 22nd, 2004 09:57 PM

ahhm.. woudn't it work if she has it in VCR mode, and then start the recording with the video editing software? (transfer to tape)

(ie. control the camera with the software, press "record to tape" (from the program you edited the footage) or something similar depending on the software)

"to" or "from" the camcorder, I would do it this way...

Justin Boyle April 23rd, 2004 03:32 AM

If you are using firewire just choose the export to tape setting and make sure you render the video first if need be and you shouldn't have any troubles. good luck

Justin

Guy Bruner April 23rd, 2004 05:33 AM

Ah, yes. I should read more carefully...thanks, guys. Frank, also tell her to make sure she has DV Device/Transport Controls (or whatever Mac calls it) enabled in her editing/capture software. This is what enables the software to control the camcorder over Firewire.

Frank Granovski April 23rd, 2004 03:41 PM

Thanks, people. I'm sure she's been reading these comments.

Suzanne LaBrot April 28th, 2004 03:14 PM

Thanks

I've read all the responses and really appreciate everyone's input. I haven't had a chance to test it out until today and I'm sorry to say that I'm still having problems. When in VCR mode, I hit the record/play button on the remote. At least, that's what I think it is since it's not in english. It's the button on the top right corner with a red circle around it. Again, nothing happens. I'm using Final Cut Pro 4 and the Print to Video option if that helps anyone. I can get something to record back if I use the Edit to Tape option in Final Cut, but it records back all jumpy. I'm pretty sure I have my settings right, as I've laid some of this footage back to both a DSR-11 deck and a 1500. The trouble with that, is that I have to go to a different location and if I can get it to work on the camera, I'll be able to do all my work at home.

Please keep responding with all the great advice.

Thanks again,
Suz

Suzanne LaBrot April 28th, 2004 03:25 PM

Duh! Okay, I just got it. The record button is directly on top of the play button, meaning directly above. Okay, so I can in fact record back to the camera with the Print to Video option. Same problem with the Edit to Tape, tho... it records/plays jumpy. This might not be a camera issue, but if it is, I would still appreciate responses.

Thanks again,
Suz

Guy Bruner April 28th, 2004 04:07 PM

Suz,
I don't know much about Macs and FCP, but can you not control the camcorder transport from within the software over iLink (Firewire)? I'm wondering why you are having to manually put VCR into record?? If you turn on the cam, put it into VCR and then print to tape from FCP, does it not start the camera in record?

Frank Granovski April 28th, 2004 04:11 PM

Glad you're finally here, Suz. Feel free to start new threads for new questions/topics.

Suzanne LaBrot April 28th, 2004 04:20 PM

Guy,

The Edit to Tape feature controls the record function, but the Print to Video feature does not. It pauses and tells you to hit record on the device, then hit ok to continue in the computer. There are 2 ways to go about it, but both are resulting in the same choppy material.

Suz

Guy Bruner April 28th, 2004 05:03 PM

Suz,
Pardon the question, but are you sure you are using Firewire and not USB?

If Firewire, then I would try to eliminate the camcorder as the problem. If you have some device with S-video out (VCR, DVD player, TV), try to record from it to the camcorder. If the camcorder records ok, then the problem is most likely in the Mac. Again, I'm not a Mac person. Maybe someone else who uses one can help. Also, there is a Mac NLE forum here. The folks there may be able to help you.

Patricia Kim April 28th, 2004 09:18 PM

I use a Mac PB, but not Final Cut, so this may not help, but assuming you are hooked up via firewire and FC lets you export to tape, the jumpy video output you're getting could be due to, unfortunately, any number of things - and I'm sure I don't know all of them. If your firewire cable itself is okay and your firewire ports are okay (you've used them to import from the gs100?), then try the old tried and true Apple method of shutting down your Mac completely (without the cam connected) and also the gs100k. Restart FC only (no other apps or peripherals running - including speakers) and get your footage on screen. Hook up the gs100k via firewire. Turn it on in playback mode. If FC works remotely like iMovie in this instance, FC should tell you it's connected to a camcorder or something similar, I assume. Try exporting again. If this doesn't work, then go to the next tried and true Apple step of trashing your FC preferences and repairing permissions. Note that I'm assuming most of the fixes need to begin with your Mac and FC. Not that the gs100k couldn't be at fault; darn well could. I've had one or two times when it didn't respond to an export command. But I've always been able to overcome the issue - and it's been by dealing with my software and Mac OS first. I would also say since the Mac and software are the most easily fixed issues (I don't think you can get the gs100k serviced in the US), it's probably most efficient to eliminate those as possible problems first.