DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS200 available in Singapore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/24968-gs200-available-singapore.html)

Yow Cheong Hoe April 23rd, 2004 06:56 AM

GS200 available in Singapore

This minute 3CCD cam is available here. About SGD1600 (with some change). That's about US$920. If anyone wants, I'll volunteer to get it and send.

Shipping to USA with insurance is about US$150.

Money send to me first, by Paypal or other means.

Yow Cheong Hoe April 23rd, 2004 09:30 AM

Forgot to say this: PAL.

Frank Granovski April 23rd, 2004 03:36 PM

Thanks, Yow. Did you get a chance to look one over?

Tom E Young April 23rd, 2004 08:12 PM

Is the gs200 better than the zr20? should I consider the gs200?

Yow Cheong Hoe April 24th, 2004 09:44 AM

Yeah, really small, almost hidden by my TINY little hand.

The controls are pretty much designed for auto mode shooting and one hand operation. Great for tours. I did not really compare the low light capabilities, but with small lens and 3CCD, it can't be too good. The screen is really small.

Tom, what ZR20? It's really hard to say which camera is better than which. For example, is the Sony VX2000 better than the Panasonic GS100? SURE in terms of features, capabilities and video quality. But at three times the price, you'll certainly expect that kind of quality! The VX2000 is also 3 times larger in size, not exactly a tourist camera! The best is to be able to drop into some large mall, get to a sales counter and test drive the models that you want, insisting on patching out to the same monitor for comparison.

Frank Granovski April 24th, 2004 03:59 PM

The Canon ZR20 is an older, really old, bottom of the barrel 1-chip consumer cam. Is the GS200 "better?" I suppose so, it's much newer and it's a 3-chip and it's a Panasonic not a Canon. :-))

Forgot to mention the GS200 is also a bottom of the barrel cam, but bottom of "3-CCD Consumer Cam Barrel." The nice thing is that it's very small for a 3-CCD cam. Fits in your pocket or in your purse, depending---.

Bottom's up.

Tom E Young April 24th, 2004 05:56 PM

I don't carry a purse. How much does this gs200 cost in canada? I don't want to go over one-thousand to twelve-hundred.

Frank Granovski April 24th, 2004 06:11 PM

I sometimes carry a purse, but then I live in Vancouver---just across False Creek from The West End. Dylan can fill you in. :-)) My pockets often just don't cut it. If you want a good cam now for around that price, take a serious look at the Sony TRV38. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a GS200 until I got my hands on one and took a good look at it. Only use blind faith when considering buying a Japanese Domestic, and after reading the hands on here. Allan is a good source.

Tom E Young April 24th, 2004 06:16 PM

I know about Vancouver. What is a Japanese domestic? All camcorders are made in Japan. I haven't seen any from elsewhere such as Italy or Germany.

Frank Granovski April 24th, 2004 07:24 PM

J.P. means for the Japanese market only, I believe. Not all camcorder companies are Japanese companies, and not all Japanese cam companies make all of their cams in Japan. I can think of at these 2 cam companies that aren't Japanese companies and they do make a few black ones. (Oops, where did that come from?) What do you know about Vancouver? :-))

Tommy Haupfear April 24th, 2004 07:30 PM

Quote:

I sometimes carry a purse
Not a fanny pack I hope.

Frank Granovski April 24th, 2004 07:33 PM

See what marriage does to us men? :-((

Love Mov April 26th, 2004 10:11 PM

FYI, it's less than $800 in local shop here in USA..well, you need pay tax though and make it a bit higher than 800, LOL...

Frank Granovski April 26th, 2004 10:47 PM

Love..., Yow is saying "PAL" GS200, not NTSC version.

Yow Cheong Hoe April 27th, 2004 12:25 AM

It is strange, but in general, the PAL models are more expensive than the NTSC models. I was shopping for a Canon quite some time back, and the price between the NTSC and PAL is about 20% higher for the PAL model.

This may be due to the PAL models having higher resolution (by nature of the PAL specification) and/or that the PAL models has more features (e.g. the MX8 has larger LCD and a hotshoe, while the 852 has a smaller LCD and a blank slot where the hotshoe is). Import/export taxes and trade agreements may play a role in this difference, and maybe even copyright (in the UK, video cameras are almost half the price of video cam-corders, simply because cam-corders can record off TV or VCR).