important MX realization at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 30th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #1
Outer Circle

important MX realization

I don't know why I didn't realize this before. Let me explain. I always was attracted to the size and shape of the MX300. It's sort of puffy or beefy. I was also attracted to the PV-DV601 (NV-DS25?); it's also sort of puffy or beefy. But just today after attempting to engage in conversation with my cat (she's 9), it all hit me! You know, the MX300 and PV-DV601 are sized and pretty much shaped the same! The biggest difference, of course, is that the MX300 is a 3-chip and the PV-SV601 is not. It's sometimes amazing how one can come up with an important realization during the craziest moments. Have any of you had any such realizations? Hint: the GS400 sure looks like a MX5000.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Which one is bes of these six? (MX300, PV-DV601, PV-SV601, NV-DS25, GS400, MX5000)
Tom E Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #3
Outer Circle

They're all good, depending. They are all discontinued models, though, some PAL some NTSC, except for the GS400---the new cam to sing for and dream about. :-))
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh they are not made any more. Expensive?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:56 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Quote:
Oh they are not made any more. Expensive?
Not now. You wanna know which one's best? Glad you asked. I think the MX5 is, though the GS100 is better, and the GS400 might be better than it. (We don't know about the GS4 yet.)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This is confusing. I will wait if the gs400 is better then the mx5. I know the mx5 is a pal format version of the pv-dv953. I have family in England but they only take pictures because video costs to much. My friend told me I should think first if I want to spend all this money.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Tom, those are wise words. It's good to have helpful friends.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Ah! The MX-350 is missing from the list above!

Clearly superior to the MX300 in terms of shape and features. Built in flash, large monitor LCD, POKER shaped. (I am sure Frank has much to say about me saying this!)

Between the MX350 and MX500, pros and cons, the MX500 should stand out a little more, although I did choose the MX350 over the MX500 (low light sensitivity is a very important point for me).

I can only hope that the GS-400 is sensitive in low lights (MX8 quality will be great), and has Optical stbiliser. I am also hoping that Panasonic will stop using cheap 2 bladed square iris and actually do a good 4 or 5 blade circular iris.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:02 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Thanks, Yow! No, I didn't forget. Maybe you recall that I had the pleasure of seeing a MX350 once, but just for a couple of minutes.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Quote:
Clearly superior to the MX300 in terms of shape and features. Built in flash, large monitor LCD, POKER shaped.
Ahh, yes.... Poker verses Puffy. Don't forget that the MX300 has slightly better audio and a higher-pixel viewfinder, but the video quality should be slightly better with the poker because it has an improved lens, which protrudes well forward.Between the MX350 and MX500, pros and cons, the MX500 should stand out a little more, although I did choose the MX350 over the MX500 (low light sensitivity is a very important point for me).[/quote]I hear ya. Lower LUX verses higher resolution.
Quote:
I am...hoping that Panasonic will stop using cheap 2 bladed square iris and actually do a good 4 or 5 blade circular iris.
That's Tom's biggest beef, I think. I wonder if he put his MX300 back together again. I did offer him to try and get a technincal manual for him, but he never got back to me. (I hope he didn't void his Pana warranty.) :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant