Oh wow I saw a pv-dv953 today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 1st, 2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Oh wow I saw a pv-dv953 today

I looked at a pv Panasonic today! Oh wow. I pointed it to dark store area and I saw sharp video on the screen. The price is very high costing $2400 and something. Should I borrow from the bank or should I use my credit card? Will this gs400 be better? Cost more? I don't know if I should spend all that money but it sure is a nice video camcorder. I also looked at a big Canon but it is too big. I want to run and gun. I'm young and I like to run and record video.
Tom E Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Tom, if you order a PV-DV953 from the states, it'll be around $1000 Canadian cheaper. Here's a great place to order one from:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

The GS400 won't be out for another couple of months. It'll most likely be a better cam and be the same size.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It is that much cheaper huh.
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Run and Gun isn't really what it sounds like. It's ENG, street documentary, guerilla , basically hand held stuff is run and gun. Weddings , interviews and the like, not foot races with your camera.

The big canon was most likely an XL1S or a GL2 and they're both ideal for run and gun. Where in Edmonchuk did you see this?

The 953 is a very nice camera but not the best at low light.

Listen to Frank, the camera will be much cheaper in the US. B&H price is $980 ($1325Can) plus shipping

A word to the wise, If you don't need it and can't afford it don't buy it.
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:05 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Tom, for PV-DV953 reviews, see here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/mx5_go.htm

and a little bit here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm

Note: the NV-MX5000 is the NTSC Japanese version, the PV-DV953 is the NTSC version and the NV-MX500 is the PAL version
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Tom, IMHO you should not purchase something for pleasure on credit. Even if you plan on making money with it, you should think about the cost of borrowing, maintenance expenses, and so forth. If you don't have a disposable 2000$ maybe you should consider a cheaper cam.
Or at least wait for a while until GS400 comes out, and DV953 becomes officially obsolete, and it's price should drop. And you should look for a bargain in US since looks like in Canada DV953 will hold on the catalog list for another year.

At the moment looks like the GS400 model will be significantly better, but we have to wait and see. the MSRP is 1499$US, but when dealers purchase large quantities, probably the price may come down a bit maybe to about 1300$, but then again it's still 2 months away... and it is expected that Canada will be spared the good cam, and we have to get it from US. =/
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I do not record video for making money. I do not even record too much. I do it for fun. I want to run and gun. I tried it this morning and I had trouble keeping my zr20 stable. It is a lot of work. I do not know how others do it. They must be in better physical shape, and experienced. I think my zr20 does not have a good image stabiliser. If I purchase a new pv-dv953 Panasonic or maybe a gs400 it will be more stable. Interest rates are low from the credit union. I all ready talked to them. Credit cards rates are higher. If I order from the US I will save money as you said. If the gs400 is coming I think I should wait. Should I wait?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM   #8
Trustee

You should read the replies thoroughly. While your out running and gunning pick me up a can of striped paint for the last post.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I reread everything over and over to learn about everything. I do not think I am stupid. I am 26 and live in the big city. I am not sure to go for the pv-dv953 or the new gs400. What is striped paint for post a joke? Recording video should be fun but also serious.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:09 PM   #10
Outer Circle

I always take a 2nd look at all my posts to find spelling mistakes. I often find 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4 and sometimes more).

Either the PV-DV953 or GS400 should do, but we don't know if this GS400 will be any good. You just never know with cams that aren't yet out.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:47 PM   #11
Trustee

Tom, Run and Gun doesn't mean running with a camera. It refers to a quick, often handheld news type of videography versus the carefully setup , tripod mounted big production shoots.

I also asked you where you looked at cameras. I travel a lot and as a matter of fact was in Edmonton last week and also 3 weeks before that. If there was a decent video store i'd like to know.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:44 PM   #12
Major Player

Be very careful about buying a camera on credit.

1. Depreciation is VERY fast. I will pay 50% for a camera 6 months old.
2. Cost is high, 10% on $2000 is $200, which is good for plenty of good meals.
3. Do you use the camera for fun or for some income? If it is only for fun, please refer to the other wise men in this forum. I am not too much wiser, at 30 years old, but I'll not pay interest for something that I am only using for fun. It's like going on holidays by taking a loan ("Now you can take that holiday you deserve and pay later" !!!)
4. Lots of hidden cost - extra batteries, tapes, tripod, stabiliser, filters, bag, microphone, connectors, software, hardware, etc, easily another $2000 which you cannot pay by credit. In any case, $4000 in credit wouldn't be much fun.

I bought my first camera MX8 (similar to the DV852) after saving up for 1 1/2 years. Then I got semi-pro (make some money here and there) and I bought the 3CCD-MX350 (DV952) and still has it today. Sold my MX8 as I just can't afford to keep both cameras. The jobs that I have taken using these cameras have covered the cost after 2 years. And lots of fun along the way.

I buy what I need when I need it, there are many things that I want, like a new DSLR or the DVC100, but that's not what I need...
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:45 AM   #13
Major Player

careful careful guys
someone said that when gs4 comes out the 953 will be obsolete. This could be the case however until the time we find out more about the gs4 then we can not tell. i remember when the vx2100 was all the talk and no one new about it the price of the 2000 here in aus dropped about 1000. when we all found out that the 2100 was not a lot better the prices jumped back up to full price

Justin
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:11 PM   #14
Regular Crew

My friend told me to think about it and I will and then I can wait to see about the gs400. I have borrowd money before so this does not bother me.

For Bryan, why do you want to know where I see video camcorders? In Edmonton we have many stores. You should know this if you come to visit.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:39 PM   #15
Trustee

Tom
I couldn't find any stores with prosumer video gear. I know Calgary has a few like Vistek. I thought you'd be helpful and tell me where you saw the bigger cameras. I told you were you could save $1000 .

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant