good filter read at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:27 AM   #1
Outer Circle

good filter read

This "read" is from a still camera site, but it will inform about filters.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:34 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Here's another good filter read but from a video cam point of view:

http://videoexpert.home.att.net/artic1/244filtr.htm
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:16 AM   #3
Old Boot

Sorry Frank . .aint getting it! - Web page niether! G

. .this one . .
http://www.videoexpert.home.att.net/artic1/244filtr.htm
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Okay, I fixed it. Same article, different location.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #5
Major Player

This link has about the best information on filters I have seen. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom and read the interesting comments.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Thanks, Guy. However, there are a lot of mistakes on that site. For example:
Quote:
All screw in brands work with each other, as long as the size is the same. You can screw a Tiffen on top of a Hoya.
This is not true. Some filters have a different pitch in their threads which only work on certain lenses. Leica filters only screw on their cams.

Another example concerns Cokin. That site mentions Cokins are square. Well, how is that 4 years ago I bought a Cokin UV and a polarizer in the 37mm thread size here at Leo's Photo? And since then I ordered several specialty Cokins in the 43mm thread size? See here:

http://www.cokin.fr

And this is somewhat misleading:
Quote:
B+W filters are solid Schott Glass, water type, crystal clear. No B+W filter has ever been made with green glass.
There are 4 companies that make filters using Schott Glass that I know of, not just B+W. Heiliopan, Zeiss, B+W and Schneider.
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah Frank, there may have been some over generalization there but the info is still pretty good, IMO. The tables are especially useful.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I agree, it's good general info. Ken Rockwell's site is like gold, though, but I do disagree with him on a couple of his lens choices, by just a bit. :-))

--------------------------
We all have our opinions. :-))
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #9
Major Player

There's a lot of good information on his site but you have to be careful cause he sometimes makes rather outrageous statements and leaps of faith. For example, on the filter page he says, "The selection of the proper filter is actually far more important than any choice of lens or camera. "
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #10
Major Player

More goofy quotes:

Artificial processes and image manipulation are needed to make a photograph look natural.

I'm not trying to reproduce nature.

Then he says:

... the best images come when nature is at her best, and at those times she needs no enhancement.

The good images I show on this website are mostly made without filters.

... When the light is bad I try to salvage things with filters.

So he starts by saying everything needs filters to saying you don't need them unless the light is bad.

It's gibberish like this that makes you very wary of what he says.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:27 AM   #11
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Ken Rockwell's site is like gold, though, but I do disagree with him on a couple of his lens choices, by just a bit. :-))
-->>>

One thing I liked is that he also considers a graduated ND as part of a basic list. Let's hope you do not disagree on that...

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #12
Trustee

The Filter connection site is extremely diverse . There are several other interesting sections as well. the site is poorly organized but you can click across the various sections using the navigation links on the bottom. They're also very nice people to do business with.

Hoya, and Formatt also use water white glass. When Tiffen started to falter and not be able to supply the market Formatt made some inroads. Formatt also make HiTech, a quality 2mm optical resin alternative similar to Cokin.

http://www.formatt.co.uk/home/default.asp
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #13
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Formatt also make HiTech, a quality 2mm optical resin alternative similar to Cokin.
-->>>

Just a weird question that is related to anti-reflection. Is there a product you can buy anywhere to make a glass surface anti-reflective?

I mean something like what they use on modern computer monitors.

It would be great to have something like that to apply on my 32" TV. It can also be a film of some sort or even anti-reflection treated glass.

Of course this product has to be transparent. In film/video production we use a spray to apply on reflective surfaces so they do not shine, but the appearance is dull, not transparent.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #14
Outer Circle

Quote:
Is there a product you can buy anywhere to make a glass surface anti-reflective?
You mean for filters? I never heard about anything like that.
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #15
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : You mean for filters? I never heard about anything like that. -->>>

No, I mean something to apply on the glass of a 32" TV, like a varnish or something.

Neither did I hear of anything like that, that's why I am asking. There might be and I don't know about it.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant