Possibly the GS200/400/DV953 Killer?? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 11th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #31
Regular Crew

First review:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...0-05_10_04.htm
Mikhail Transact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #32
Major Player

Chris has a post in the real Sony forum (as opposed to the shadow one this has become) citing the 16x9 reference on the Sony web site (though how anyone can work their way through babeled Japanese is beyond me). Funny it's not really played up in the listed features. From a marketing standpoint, though, the really interesting thing is how Sony is tying this new cam to its new VAIO. Kind of like what Panasonic was trying to do with the SV-AV100 and its companion dvd player. Maybe Panasonic will do what I'm really waiting for: upgrade the SV-AV100 so I can have a real lipstick cam that is more capable than the AV100!

Okay, first one to provide definitive proof that the HC1000 has bilingual (Japanese/English) menus, good color and no vertical smear gets a copy of my favorite mpeg4 file shot on the gs100 - the one I can't edit because it's wmv only. (Actually, I refuse to dump it because it's of folks singing and the sound is amazingly good for a little cam.) --Oh, yeah, looks like the HC1000 is a top-loader, so if it's got bilingual menus and no vertical smear, I'm defecting and recommending it to my sister for purchase.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #33
Outer Circle

Mikhail, is that an actual review or just as re-written bablefish translation? Did they/him/her actually have one in their hand to test it for the review. If not, it's not a review but a mere announcement.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #34
Major Player

I think the HC1000 will be at least as good as the TRV950, plus native 16:9 and slightly better low light performance. I love the competition between Sony and Panasonic~! :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #35
Outer Circle

Quote:
I think the HC1000 will be at least as good as the TRV950, plus native 16:9 and slightly better low light performance.
Either it'll have the same CCDs as the TRV950 or it won't. If it has less CCD pixels only then, I think, will it have "slightly better low light performance," but then it's video resolution won't be better.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #36
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim : Chris has a post in the real Sony forum (as opposed to the shadow one this has become) citing the 16x9 reference on the Sony web site (though how anyone can work their way through babeled Japanese is beyond me). Funny it's not really played up in the listed features.

Patricia, this cam definitely has HQ widescreen mode similar to PDX10 and PC300/330. It's in the website.

From a marketing standpoint, though, the really interesting thing is how Sony is tying this new cam to its new VAIO.

It seems the new 5.1 ch audio will work only with proprietary software installed in a VAIO and you need to record using that pom-pom looking mic.

What if I can get you a definitive proof that it has NO multi-lingual support, will I still get anything??? :-)) But don't bother Pat, this cam will most probably be released worldwide as well. There's is even a possibility that Sony will release a variant with 3.5" LCD for the overseas market, similar to their strategy with the TRV38 and HC85 (which were never released here). You know, small size is KING is Japan

Sony good color: that's totally subjective

No Vertical smear: No chance :-) Get a GS120 if you want the least vertical smear :-)))))

Yeah I think it will be a top loader (assuming it followed the Sharp and JVC HD cam design for the rotating grip).

Probably trivial but it has been a long time since Sony Japan last set an MSRP for a Jap model miniDV cam? This one is set at JPY176,000, which I think is good starting point.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #37
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Either it'll have the same CCDs as the TRV950 or it won't. If it has less CCD pixels only then, I think, will it have "slightly better low light performance," but then it's video resolution won't be better. -->>>

On paper, the HC1000 is better than the 950 in terms of low-light: 11 lux against 15 lux (I'm using Sony Japan ratings)...probably due to Sony's Megapixel Engine???
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #38
Wrangler

Quote:
I think the HC1000 will be at least as good as the TRV950, plus native 16:9 and slightly better low light performance.
I still say it'll be a slimmed down PDX10 and thats not a bad thing. It would be even better if the vertical smear up and disappeared. Low light should be about the same as the 950 and PDX10 since the CCD size and pixel count is the same unless you factor in Sony's version of the Mastsushita Crystal Engine.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #39
Major Player

All they have to do is make the maximum gain say 24db instead of 18db and you would have a camera with "better" low light capabilities. The reason i say this is because by what i understand, gain is a software thing and we all know that on paper it all sounds good but the picture with gain up that high would be rediculous. another thing to note also is that they might have developed better noise reduction software etc so they might have better lux ratings because of that. I am pretty sure that the vx-2100 has the same ccd's as the old however it has slightly better low light performance than the other.

Justin
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #40
Major Player

"All they have to do is make the maximum gain say 24db instead of 18db and you would have a camera with "better" low light capabilities."

...unless it has a lot of video noise. :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #41
Major Player

exactly my point. note "better". It allows them to change the lux ratings so that on paper it all looks good

Justin
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #42
Major Player

An extra record button on the left side of the LCD panel (open position). Isn't that cool?
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:30 AM   #43
Regular Crew

wonder if sony will make a Qualia version of a DV or camcorder hmmmm now that would be sweet, out of everyones price range but nice to drool over
Kamal Tailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #44
Major Player

Surround sound aside (which it would be for my sister, since she's a Mac user like me), how's the on board sound on Sonys? I love the gs100k's sound capability. It really takes you a step beyond that kind of hollow, talking through paper cups sound you often hear on older vhs stuff, for example. In the several family jam sessions I've shot now, the sound has been the best thing (well, for the camera work, look who's been operating the camera) - even when the session is not miked. Think Sony's new baby could do that?
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #45
Outer Circle

I agree about Pana's built-in mics on their 3-CCD cams. My MX300 has great audio---and now even better with my Apex 191, thanks to Bryan Beasleigh's advice. (My JVC's buzz like little bumble bees.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant