DVC30 Impressions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #16
Trustee

Yes, you are exactly right. it is frame mode. I just didn't want to quote them incorrectly. At this point I want to learn how to tweak the settings to maximize the cams potential.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Mark,

You previously said it was a close call as to whether you would send back your DVC30 for a VX2100. Was this because you had tried the VX2100 and liked it?

The sony seems to be more of a 'news' or event style cam, but for experimental short films, would you say that the DVC30 is the better choice (considering I can't afford a DVX100a ;)

Everyones thoughts appreciated,
Dave.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #18
Trustee

Dave,

I do nature video which requires a longer lens, really good zoom control (slow) and full manual control. I got the DVC 30 because it has 2 of the 3, a great long lens and zoom control. The bonus was its very rugged construction and light weight. I still find its manual control lacking compared to the VX2100 but others do not. Like anything there is no PERFECT cam out there so it was a compromise for me. I have not handled the VX2100 but have studied its specs. to death. I would have had to buy a tel extender and a remote zoom control to make it equal to the DVC30. Maybe someone else can chime in and give an opinion on its experimental short capability since I don't do this kind of work.

Best of Luck ...

Mark
Old June 7th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #19
Trustee

Just spent the day up in the North Georgia mountains with my new cam. I now have a new appreciation for its light weight. Have been experimenting with different settings and so far the best I've found in normal 4:3 mode is +1 sharpness and -1 AE when using zebra for general scenery, plants, streams and waterfalls. The 16x lens has that extra punch that comes in real hand. I have not experimented with frame/movie mode yet. I already like this cam better than when I bought my GL-1.

Regards,

Mark
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #20
Wrangler

Here is an interesting comparison between movie modes on the DVC30 and GS100. These frames are widescreen, frame mode, and cine-like gamma with the original credit going to new member Kaku Ito from Shibuya Tokyo.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=901419
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #21
New Boot

DVC30

Mark,

I'm currently evaluating a DVC30 and will write a review for a trade publication.

Like you, I've been impressed with this camcorder. There are so many features and adjustments, that's it difficult to comprehend it all.

To your concern, there is a video signal level meter available in the viewfinder. To access, press the zebra button twice. The smallest grid box measures light levels and a numerical display is visible in the lower left hand corner. To eliminate this level function, press the zebra button again.

I would be interested in knowing more of your overall and specific impressions of the DVC30 if you wouldn't mind sharing them.

Thank you.
Bob McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Is it me, or did the grabs from the mamba look cleaner than the grabs from the 30?

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Is it me, or did the grabs from the mamba look cleaner than the grabs from the 30?
Its a little unfair since the DVC30 has a low quality widescreen mode. Of course I only shoot widescreen so I think I'll be keeping my GS100 a little while longer.

If you shoot predominantly 4:3 and value low light then the DVC30 is the better buy.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Longlife Battery?

I'm probably gonna buy myself a Pal DVC30 next week, and as with most cameras the supplied battery won't last very long.

So does anyone know if the DVC30 uses the same batteries as the other Pana cams in this price range eg. DVX100, DV953, GS100 etc, and what are the model numbers (such as NP-F960 if it were Sony).

This will make tracking down a long-life battery a bit easier.

Thanks,
Dave
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #25
Regular Crew

yes they do all use the same. It is a CGR D16 or cgr D28 , cgr D54 I believe CGR is nomenclature and the numbers following behind it are the - Mah -

Go to DVX user .com they have some good hi caps for 45$ 3500 Mah.. Although I have never purchased them.. Many say they are of excellent quality..
Scott Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #26
Trustee

I noticed today that Panasonic is giving away 10 free master quality tapes with the purchase of a DVC30. See here for details.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=68840&catGroupId=14916&modelNo=AG-DVC30&surfModel=AG-DVC30

Regards,

Mark
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #27
Major Player

The DV953 is a good camcorder.

(MX5000 Frame Grabs)

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/...d_Frame_14.jpg

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/...d_Frame_16.jpg
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Got my DVC30E today!!!

Hi All,

I thought I'd let everyone know what I think of my cam so far - although I have only used it for a few hours.

Obviously because it is a PAL model it is significantly more expensive than the NTSC vesion. The best price I could find here in the UK was £1900 - which in USD is $3,482.37!!!! I know you US guys must think this is a crazy price, maybe it is. However, there are a number of reasons why it is more expensive. Firstly PAL just costs more for some reason, then in the EU, we have to pay VAT (value added tax) which is an extra 17.5% ontop of the original price, and lastly this cam, as well as the DVX is pretty thin on the ground over here which also pushes up the price.

I noticed on BH that they sell the PAL model of the DVC30 for about $2700-2800. If I bought this, VAT would be added when it came into my country, and import duty, and a large shipping charge. There also is problems with warranty. So by the time I had bought one from BH, it would end up being about the same price anyway, so... By the way, the DVX100AE is £2900.00 or $5,314.95 in the UK!, so I would definitely not have been able to afford that.

Anyway here is what I think of my new cam:

Great zoom! - fantastically controllable, good manual controls (so far), Frame mode + Cinegamma is excellent and really adds to this camera. VERY sturdy metal construction, is small and light, but not too much, I think its just right.

I want to use this camera for nature/landscape, but also some experimental short films - so I think this cam is a better compromise than the DVX for me.

The one main thing that made the expensive price more worthwhile, is that the store I bought it from in the UK supplied the optional (and quite expensive) XLR adapter for *FREE*. I suppose most people in the US have not got the XLR yet, but I can safely say it is a solid little metal box with all the requirements needed for pro sound - dual XLR inputs and 48v phantom power etc. I fitted it to my cam, and it makes it look more professional IMO.

I will report back soon with more thoughts on this cool camera.

Dave.
Old June 15th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #29
Trustee

Dave,

Try out the 1.25 x digital zoom and let me know what you think. My preliminary tests shows that it doesn't degrad the image that much and may be good for low detail subjects.

Regards,

Mark
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

To be honest I try to stay away from digital zoom. I once had a nasty experience using a digital still camera on holiday. I used digital zoom for quite a few shots, and when I got home they looked pretty terrible.

However, I have tried the digi zoom on the 30 and it didn't look too bad. I am hopefully buying a bunch of four Panasonic lenses from someone - there are two 0.7 wide angles, and two tele convertors 1.4, and 2.0. They all have a 43mm filter thread as well which is perfect for this cam. I think that this camera with a 2x tele lense would reach pretty well for some nature shots.

I would suggest trying to find a tele convertor, if I get hold of mine I will let you know if its good, it would be nice to post a few shots, maybe I can arrange that over the next week or so.

Cheers,
Dave.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant