How does GS100 compared to DV953? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 9th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #1
New Boot

How does GS100 compared to DV953?

hello everyone, i'm new to this board and new to DV. I've been playing w/ old fashioned super8 before and loved its result but hated its process and cost. So after doing some research i nailed down a few models. Panny DV953, GS200 or GS100. now from what i've learned GS200 doesn't live up to the DV953 standard. but i've heard so many good things about GS100 though it's not available in US. So can someone tell me how does GS100 compared to DV953?
I'm a motorcyclist and i want to do some documentary about bikers. there will be on-bike shootings so i need good image stabilization. meanwhile i hope it can produce a "filmlook" as good as possible. i dont' care about still image and low light that much.
any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Dazhi,
Check my website. There is video there of both the GS100 and the DV953.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Also check out the posts by Kaku Ito in the DVX100 section. He shows some frame grabs from the gs100 - of motorbiking.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #4
New Boot

thanks i checked out your DV953 films but couldn't find GS100 clips. are they also under album?
after shopping around i couldn't find any GS100 available at US. but DV953 seems to be on a rise??!! ebay used to have the package w/ a bunch of other accessories in the $1100 range and now they are up to $1400...what's up w/ that. instead GS200 is getting really cheap. even amazon sells them at $799. i thought they are within $100 price difference. is it still true?
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #5
Major Player

The GS100 clips are in the Members Album.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dazhi:

You should be able to find a DV953 for about the 900 dollar mark. I bought mine nearly a year ago brand new for $950.00 dollars. Since the camera has been discontinued they are clearing out the stock for the replacement GS400 which is expected anytime now. Most probably what your seeing on ebay is someone selling it with other gear. That may be the way to go if you what a package, but if you only want the camera, you can do better yourself.

In comparision, the GS100 was only availabe in Japan and with Japanese menus. From the pictures I have seen from the postings, the camera produces very good quality and better wide screen (ask Tommy). It is slightly better than the DV953, but then you have to make the choice on the menus being in a different language. The GS100 was also discountinued and finding one of those will be difficult. There are several people on this site like Allan who actually lives in Japan that have worked with people here to provide them with Japanese only market products like the GS100.

Make no mistake, the DV953 produces excellent video and I am very happy with mine. Since you will be using it outdoors light does not present a problem. As far as your "film look" well that can be produced in editing on Final Cut Pro or however you plan to edit. The DV953 does offer internal effects but it's probably better to control the look you want in the final edit.

The bottom line is how much do you want to spend and what are you going to use the camera for. Are there better cameras out there, sure there are.... but at what cost. Will the DV953 suit your purposes, probably yes. The question is what do you want to do with your video? How do you wish to market the final product. Is it for broadcast or more personal use? These are questions only you can answer and they will affect the kind of camera you really should have based on what you want to do with it.

If it's more of a personal project and price is a factor you can do no wrong with a DV953 which can be had at a great price today.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

IMHO I think the GS100k has a few advantages over the 953. Rick is right, you can get that film look in post but Procinema mode on the GS100 will give you that film like look as well. Another option that the GS100 offers is a waist battery ( I forgot the model number) for those long rides:-) As far as finding one here in the US, Unless it's used I don't think you will. I think one or two people here on the boards might have a used one for sale but I'm not sure about that. If you want a new one, Like Rick said, Allan can help you out there. His email address is at the top of this forum under Cam buying contacts. As far as the menus go on the gs100, They are not that hard to learn.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for all the inputs guys, i really learned a lot. I asked one of the ebay seller ipanweb. he had quite a few DV953 at a good priced package. he replied that DV953 is discountinued and DV954 will come out soon...DV954?? is it true?
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:20 AM   #9
New Boot

My GS100

My GS100 can produce quite a good video with normal mode under low light even just build with 1/6 inch CCD. It may due to the efford of 3D noise reduction. Only the Cr gain comes little bit higher in order to produce more warm skin color. You can reduce the Cr gain with AviUtl to obtain more natual color as you like. The Japanese menu not a big problem for me even I don't understand Japanese. All frequency use function key located ourside (WB , AE look , Flash , Shutter). I always bring it with a English version DV953 user manual. It will helpful for me to do change some menu setting. Now I try to combine GS100 japanese manual and GS200 English manual into a multi language GS100 version. Only onrething please don't expect it can replace you digital still camera. It still far away.
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #10
Wrangler

Leo, I have yet to see a decent megapixel still from a camcorder (compared to a decent digital camera). I leave my GS100 set to 640x480 and they are perfect for web and email.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Dazhi:

There is no DV954 .... this guy doesn't know what he is talking about with his numbers and his is just talking. Just be careful with some of these guys. I'm sure some some people are legit on ebay, but this guy just throwing numbers out there like that....I don't know! Makes me think a little.

The camera that is slated to replace the DV953 is the GS400. There is evidence of this in Europe already and there was some information on the Panasonic Japanese website.

Once again think about what you actually need for your project. If you just want the camera, I'm sure you can do a lot better than ebay and this guys so called "packages." Just because the DV953 is now discontinued, there are still sellers who want to clear out their shelves. You'll have to look a little bit to try and find one.... try photo magazines and the advertisments in the back of them.

In any event, I hope this answered your questions.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #12
New Boot

hey thanks for the heads up. i'll be in my neighborhood B&N tonight sipping coffee and looking for a DV953 from those mags. I have friend in HK that told me she can buy GS100 there for me. but then i think of the trouble of shipping it over, japanese manual (though i can read a little bit japanese) etc etc, nah...i'll stick to DV953. i do this as a personaly hobby and if i get serious i may get a GL2 or something. but for now DV953 can do more than enough for me. thanks guys for all the advices.
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #13
Wrangler

Good luck with the DV953 hunt. Its a great cam!

Here are a few 16:9 frame mode frame grabs from my past DV953.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...DV953wide1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...DV953wide2.jpg
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:56 AM   #14
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim : Also check out the posts by Kaku Ito in the DVX100 section. He shows some frame grabs from the gs100 - of motorbiking. -->>>

Pat! They might look like motorbiks, but they are mountainbikes!! LOL
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:13 AM   #15
Major Player

Kaku, sorry, but I know nothing about bikes, in case you haven't noticed! Anyway, thanks for posting footage and I'm sure we're all looking forward to more - especially the gs400 v. xl2 - which is probably unfair to the 400, but what the heck.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant