DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Allan, Mamba 2 question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/27626-allan-mamba-2-question.html)

Frank Granovski June 15th, 2004 06:01 PM

Allan, Mamba 2 question

Does the Black Mamba 2 have English menus?

Allan Rejoso June 15th, 2004 06:10 PM

I don't think so and nothing is mentioned in Pana Japan website :-((

Perhaps next year :-)

But you can get the PAL GS400 of course in case the NA model is not released. Still no words (not even specs) from Pany N.A.?

Frank Granovski June 15th, 2004 06:29 PM

According to Pana, the GS400 will be available in Canada, but I think there won't be a mamba version. I'm curious too wat's going to be stripped. If the PAL version isn't over-priced, I may go that route. Not for everyday shooting, but for a project I put on hold for 2 years which entails travelling to a dangerous land during a dangerous time. I've got a open ticket, but I need to save up a little more cash.

Thanks, Allan.

PS: you know that the Japanese version is always better when it comes to these flagship Pana cams.

I see I'm a DV Freak now. "rolleyes.gif"

Allan Rejoso June 15th, 2004 06:54 PM

Specs that "may" differ are as follows:

1. Low dispersion lens (look for this phrase in the English manuals or brochures)
2. The engine. Pany Japan is very specific about its newly improved crystal engine for this cam - to differentiate it from the engine used in GS100/200 and 120. Did you babelfish the sentence describing this new engine as a redesign (to suit compact cams) based on that used for pro cam (with a picture of the DX100 on the side)?
3. Hot shoe (Question: Are those hot shoe compatible accessories for the GS200 available in N.A.?)
4. LCD resolution (size may be same)
5. Body color
6. You usually get a free DV cleaning tape with the PAL version cams right? and some special cables too (if applicable).

If this cam delivers and the (street) price difference is significant, the new Sony is gonna be in trouble..(MX5000 vs TRV950 Part 2).

Well at least Sony CCD division should gain a lot :-)), assuming those CCDs are made by Sony. Makes me wonder, if that is the case, then there was no secret between Sony and Pany all along ne?

Frank Granovski June 15th, 2004 08:36 PM

Thanks, Allan. I still don't have that PAL GS400 PDF manual printed out. When I do, I'll keep this things to look for in mind.

Kamal Tailor June 17th, 2004 10:06 AM

I have another question for you Allan.

do you know if they bring out the PAL versions of the Pana cameras in Japan?? and if so do they have the sexy black Bodies??

unrelated question.....is Kogaru culture still popular amongst the Japanese girls??

i was there in Jan 2000, when down to see Dai Butso amongst other things =)

Allan Rejoso June 17th, 2004 08:25 PM

If the PAL version is released, it will most likely be available in those duty free shops in Akihabara (Laox, Nishimura and the new ones run by Chinese and Indians). However, I don't think prices can match those in Malaysia or Singapore. Just for reference, the PAL MX500 still sells for around JPY190,000 in those duty free shops. You should contact the member YowCH if you want the best deal in PAL cams.

Not sure if the limited edition black will be available outside Japan. Let's take the case of the GS200 and GS120. Have you seen any black GS200 in your area? What about white GS120?

I talked to our young OLs (office ladies) who should/could have gone through koga-ru period in their not so distant past. They said it's not that popular anymore (including the use of the term) but THEY still exist :-)). Those cute and/or strangely fashionable little ones will always exist IMO :-))

Been living in Tokyo for nearly 15 years but I haven't seen that giant buddha in Kamakura in person. Wife and daughter prefer the metropolitan area most of the time.

Michael Struthers June 17th, 2004 08:58 PM

I'm pretty sure that the improved "crystal engine" is the new 12 bit electronics found in the dvx100a.

Damn, that thing is sweet! Native PAL might be close to HDV resolution.

Young Lee June 18th, 2004 07:41 AM

"I'm pretty sure that the improved "crystal engine" is the new 12 bit electronics found in the dvx100a."

Maybe you're referring to the RGB Gamma Processor...

Kamal Tailor June 20th, 2004 05:43 AM

*off topic*

i found Kamakura quite serene, and i took some great still photo's of the Big Budda, worthy of a day visit in my opinion.

yeah i didn't think Koga-ru girls were that fashionable any more, and those little cute fashion girls are very cute ;)

*back on topic*
yeah i don't think they will release the limited edition colours outside of Japan, they should though, even in limited numbers, they can make a few extra bucks on them and do limited runs of say 500 to 1000 in each country of sale or there abouts anyway, the white and black GS120/200 would have been a great hit, i was at the duty free shop today and saw some coloured sony DV cams, they looked funky, girly, but funky.

if i can get my friend to find a limited edition black one in PAL, i'll definitly get that, but i might have to make do with the silver one

apperently fukaouka is very cheap for electronics, pretty much anyway outside of tokyo is cheap for elelctronic's i've heard. Big Camera being one of the most prominant cheap places that my friend mentioned. he's over there doing the JET program at the moment, i have another one going up there too in july.

the black camera's just look so stealth =)