DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS400 Announced in US with Minimum Info! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/28303-gs400-announced-us-minimum-info.html)

Patricia Kim June 30th, 2004 07:19 PM

GS400 Announced in US with Minimum Info!

Camcorderinfo is saying Pana announced the US model and price ($1500), but had no one available to answer questions - including whether or not there will be a black version. The cam is also not yet on the Pana web site front page. Par for the course.

Young Lee June 30th, 2004 11:08 PM

I'm sure there will be no black version of the GS400 for the US.

Gary Garner June 30th, 2004 11:25 PM

Here's the link to the press release:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...12&cont_id=707

Frank Granovski July 1st, 2004 01:29 AM

Didn't Tommy post a link for the US GS400 user manual somewhere here? That should contain lots of information.

Kaku Ito July 1st, 2004 10:44 AM

Patricia,

Ask me if any particular info you wanna know.
They anounced the black version in Japan.

Robert Kirkpatrick July 1st, 2004 10:48 AM

I soooo hope they don't gut the U.S. version of the camera by taking out pro-cinema mode (frame mode, 16:9, cinegamma). That would so absolutely suck. It's the version I've been saving my money for.

Patricia Kim July 1st, 2004 12:00 PM

Thanks, Kaku, but I was just venting my complaint about how badly Pana US seems to handle info and publicity for its products. Pana Japan announces and has pages of its web site filled with info about the cam - and even tells you there will be more coming. Pana US can't even make someone available to answer questions related to its press release. (Actually, they probably wouldn't make someone available because they didn't know any more than was in the press release.)

Guy Bruner July 2nd, 2004 07:26 AM

I was told the US version will NOT be black.

Patricia Kim July 2nd, 2004 11:59 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : I was told the US version will NOT be black. -->>>

I hate to see grown men cry. (Referring to Tommy and Frank, Guy, not you - I know you said it wasn't enough of an upgrade to justify your trading in your 953.)

Guy Bruner July 2nd, 2004 12:01 PM

Well, that was before they announced the 30P...I reconsidering. I've sorta gotten used to the color of my 953.

Patricia Kim July 2nd, 2004 12:31 PM

Well, here's another reason to reconsider: it's listed on the Adorama site for $1129.95. Of course, no way to know if that price will hold once the gs400 actually arrives in the US, but someone should try it out! (Not me, I went with another new product that just showed up on the shelves.)

Guy Bruner July 2nd, 2004 05:02 PM

Teaser! Out with it!

Patricia Kim July 2nd, 2004 06:02 PM

www.letsgodigital.org/html/firstlook/pentax/optioMX/index_en.html. It should arrive at my door sometime next week; I'll know then if it's going to be fun or if it's just a bomb. I also ordered the WA that is available for it. Be sure you click the "introduced" link to get a look at the cam as held by a user.

Tommy Haupfear July 2nd, 2004 06:55 PM

That Optio is one odd looking little cam.

I'm also looking a 10X optical zoom cam for the wife. The Canon Powershot S1 IS. Its also 3.2 MP with a fold-out LCD but also offers Canon's optical image stabilization and ultra-sonic motor (you can zoom in the 640x480 30fps movie mode).

Lets us know what you think of the Pentax.

I like to think I wouldn't buy a Japanese cam solely because of the body color but then I recall paying more for an integrated amp just to get the gold color and rosewood panels (which I've heard is also popular in Japan). My only hope is that some features are stripped from the N.A. GS400 to help justify my import (just kidding!).

Patricia Kim July 2nd, 2004 11:34 PM

Tommy, I had looked at that Canon - 10x zoom and OIS looked good. Probably has better audio than the Pentax, too. Steve's rated it as one of the best, but he also noted problems with the zoom control - which is what decided me to try something else. (What good is 10x zoom if you can't control it?) I looked at the 12x zoom Pana, too, but decided I just didn't want the hassle. The oddball Pentax looks like someone with small hands can hold it in one hand and shoot. It also has an optional WA lens, which I've also ordered. Will let you know how it works out - if my post doesn't get nuked for being totally out of forum.