GS400 Has 30P - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 6th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #16
Major Player

Well, I have an email in to Panasonic for clarification on the 30P. However, it is possible that they made changes to the firmware but didn't change the manual. Sorta like when they put optical image stabilization on the DV953 but didn't change the menus which say EIS. From a functional point of view 30P is frame mode so a consumer wouldn't know the difference. In fact, someone will want to measure resolution for it anyway.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
However, it is possible that they made changes to the firmware but didn't change the manual.
I thought progressive scan required progressive scan CCDs?

Let us know what they say.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:42 PM   #18
Major Player

Working in post with footage my gs100, it did seem like progressive frame footage to me.

Perhaps Panny is misusing the term "frame mode". I find it hard to believe a company identified with their progressive video mode is trying to pass off a faux 30p mode.

As for the diff between 30p and 24p to the average user, it is indecipherable. Video types can see 30p looks just a tad more "video", but it's much better than 24p for pans or any quick camera movement.

The only downside to 30p is that transferring out to film is much more difficult than transferring out from 24p.

But who's going to shoot a feature with this cam?
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #19
Outer Circle

>>>But who's going to shoot a feature with this cam?<<<

I'm sure that it can be done, and easily. All you'd need is the other gear (lighting, audio stuff, monitor etc), script and actors. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Tommy,
AFAIK all CCDs are progressive. It is what the firmware does with the image from that point that make a difference. The CCD data is read into buffers and manipulated there. Your reference to Steve Mullen's article explains it pretty well. If the GS400 has 30P, then the 30P image will be less light sensitive than in frame mode. That will mean poorer low light performance in that mode.
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #21
Wrangler

GS400 with progressive scan but the DVC30 with frame mode?

Come on guys don't start a progressive scan conspiracy! :)

Its like buying a car and finding out it has a V8 under the hood while advertisements and even the car manual stated it has a V6. Its not logical for a company to neglect a popular buzzword like Progressive Scan when you see it smeared all over the front of $50 DVD players with inadequate 27MHz DACs (see also Bluetooth).
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #22
Wrangler

Thanks for the info Guy!
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #23
Major Player

Then how come spec sheets are very specific (well at least I'm referring to Japanese spec sheets) that a certain CCD is interlaced type or progressive scan type.

In my observation, Pany's frame mode per se looks brighter than normal (interlaced) mode whether it be under 4:3 or widescreen. What makes procinema look dimmer is the cinelike-gamma. As far as my eyes can distinguish, the only difference between Pany's frame mode and procinema is the color saturation. The jerky motion and resolution/clarity appear to be the same. But of course, I don't have a resolution meter to verify that.

The DVX100 has progressive scan CCD right? What about DVC30? I remember the latter has interlaced CCD with frame mode? Well, somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, you're right, I will never be able to distinguish between frame mode and progressive scan mode anyway. In the first place, I'm not even sure if I had actually seen a progressive scan footage :-)).

Having said that, how do you know if a footage or frame grab is frame mode or progressive scan mode by simple looking at it?

Pany's older catalogues define procinema as 30 frames per second Progressive shooting. The latest one (July 2004) containing the GS400, simply states that procinema is 30 frames per second shooting. Oh well. An interesting feature in any case :-))
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #24
Major Player

Whether progressive or frame mode, the difference is in the resolution. I suppose the only way to tell is to measure the vertical resolution. Frame mode on a DV953 produces 290 vertical lines of resolution. Max is 360 lines, according to Steve Mullen. Ah, that is in 16:9 mode.
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #25
Major Player

What would be the expected vertical resolution if it is progressive scan? 500+???
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #26
Major Player

You think that there'd be any way to flash the gs100's menus with a dump from the gs400's?
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #27
Wrangler

It will be interesting to see how many lines the GS400 has in its 16:9 mode. The GS100 had 370 but also had a 1.04x vertical zoom. Indications appear that the GS400 has no vertical zoom or a very micro amount.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #28
Contributor

> What would be the expected vertical resolution if it is
> progressive scan? 500+???

I think when capturing a non-moving object (like a resolution chart) the resolution of interlaced, frame mode or progressive scan should be the same. The differences appear with moving images.
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:55 AM   #29
Wrangler

Maybe I'm missing something, but how could it be over 500 when there are only 480 vertical lines?

From what I've read Ignacio, on a true progressive scan camera like the DVX-100a the vertical resolution is much higher, approaching the vertical limit of 480. I believe that this issue has to do with vertical blending that is intentionally introduced into the image for interlaced video (and presumably for frame mode also, which evidently has even less vertical res).

Picture a thin horizontal line in an image that's only one pixel tall. In this case the line would only appear in every other interlaced field. This would cause the line to flicker on and off. The cameras are designed to prevent this by averaging lines from the odd and even fields. From what I've read this limits the vertical res of our prosumer cameras to about 360 lines, and tests I've done would seem to confirm this.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:58 AM   #30
Major Player

Well, CCDs in video cameras are interesting subjects. There are several different designs and methods of outputting the video. Thought I would post some references and you can noodle on them.

Progressive: What You Need to Know
What is Progressive Scan
Sony Semiconductor
Choosing a CCD
Panasonic CCDs (Shows the relationship of the CCD to other parts of the camera system.)
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant