DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Cokin Filter System (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/28741-cokin-filter-system.html)

Guy Bruner July 10th, 2004 03:37 PM

Cokin Filter System

Cokin Filters makes a system for attaching its square filters to still and video cameras. I thought that it might be a good system for the DV953. So, I purchased the A Series system and 3 filters: the A27 Warm, the Graduated Blue, and the Radial Blur. I have posted some pix of the system and the warm filter on my website.

Pictures of the filter system and DV953 were taken with a Fuji Finepix 602Z. Pictures using the filters were taken with the DV953 to SD card in 640x480 mode.

Tavis Shaver July 10th, 2004 04:25 PM

That's pretty cool Guy, wil it fit on my gs100? How much is that setup?

Guy Bruner July 10th, 2004 04:50 PM

Hi Tavis,
It is hard to say. I used a 43-55mm stepup ring to attach the filter system...should work with the GS100. I bought the filter holder and adapter ring for about $12US. Filters are more expensive...around $20US each. The whole thing..filter holder, hood, adpater ring, filters...cost about $100US.

Tavis Shaver July 10th, 2004 05:01 PM

It is a very cool looking setup, that's for sure, does it work as a bit of a mattebox at all?

Guy Bruner July 10th, 2004 05:12 PM

You can add multiple hoods to the system...hood to hood...to hood. So, I guess you could make it a matte box...

Frank Granovski July 10th, 2004 05:18 PM

2 hoods should be enough.

Guy Bruner July 11th, 2004 05:24 AM

Yes, and you may get vignetting at full wide if you stack hoods.

Cokin makes a P series adapter which is larger and probably would allow stacking of multiple hoods and filter housings (you can attach another set of three filters to give you six). They also make a universal mount which will fit any OD of a lens without filter threads. So, this system could be used with large WAs, for example.

For other pictures of the Cokin A and P systems, see this album. These pictures were taken by Strekoza of his setup.

Frank Granovski July 11th, 2004 05:34 AM

Cokin does make screw-ins in all sizes as well but many of the specialty models are only sold in France, last I checked. Minolta is the Cokin N.A. distributor (USA/Canada). I have a number of Cokin screw-ins in the 43mm thread size. I also have the UV and circular polarizer for my JVC's---37mm thread size.

Zack Win July 11th, 2004 08:39 AM

These photos illustrate a serious problem which has always bugged me about the Cokin system -- the back of the holder (facing the camera) is completely open. If you shoot using mulitple filters with a strong light source in back of you, you're going to get light reflections bouncing between the filters and flaring your image.

Zack

Robin Davies-Rollinson July 11th, 2004 09:30 AM

You're quite right there - a decent matte box has to have a light-tight seal between the lens and the filters...

Robin