Cokin Filter System at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 10th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Cokin Filter System

Cokin Filters makes a system for attaching its square filters to still and video cameras. I thought that it might be a good system for the DV953. So, I purchased the A Series system and 3 filters: the A27 Warm, the Graduated Blue, and the Radial Blur. I have posted some pix of the system and the warm filter on my website.

Pictures of the filter system and DV953 were taken with a Fuji Finepix 602Z. Pictures using the filters were taken with the DV953 to SD card in 640x480 mode.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Major Player

That's pretty cool Guy, wil it fit on my gs100? How much is that setup?
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Tavis,
It is hard to say. I used a 43-55mm stepup ring to attach the filter system...should work with the GS100. I bought the filter holder and adapter ring for about $12US. Filters are more expensive...around $20US each. The whole thing..filter holder, hood, adpater ring, filters...cost about $100US.
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #4
Major Player

It is a very cool looking setup, that's for sure, does it work as a bit of a mattebox at all?
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #5
Major Player

You can add multiple hoods to the system...hood to hood...to hood. So, I guess you could make it a matte box...
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #6
Outer Circle

2 hoods should be enough.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, and you may get vignetting at full wide if you stack hoods.

Cokin makes a P series adapter which is larger and probably would allow stacking of multiple hoods and filter housings (you can attach another set of three filters to give you six). They also make a universal mount which will fit any OD of a lens without filter threads. So, this system could be used with large WAs, for example.

For other pictures of the Cokin A and P systems, see this album. These pictures were taken by Strekoza of his setup.
Old July 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Cokin does make screw-ins in all sizes as well but many of the specialty models are only sold in France, last I checked. Minolta is the Cokin N.A. distributor (USA/Canada). I have a number of Cokin screw-ins in the 43mm thread size. I also have the UV and circular polarizer for my JVC's---37mm thread size.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #9
Tourist

These photos illustrate a serious problem which has always bugged me about the Cokin system -- the back of the holder (facing the camera) is completely open. If you shoot using mulitple filters with a strong light source in back of you, you're going to get light reflections bouncing between the filters and flaring your image.

Zack
Zack Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #10
Trustee

You're quite right there - a decent matte box has to have a light-tight seal between the lens and the filters...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant