Filter and hood recommendation for PV-GS400 and Raynox HD-5000PRO set-up - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 19th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm also using a Raynox HD-5000PRO WA with my GS400. There is no vignetting at all.
Furthermore I bought a 62mm Kenko circular polarizer which fits on the front of the WA. No vignetting again.
To use the polarizer without the WA I got three adaptor rings. I know it's a bit stupid to use three rings, but the guy in the shop explained it's the easiest and cheapest way (43-52-58-62mm). After testing this setup for vignetting again, I decided to go with it as no black corners appeared.

Prices for the parts were as follows: WA 2900NT$ (85US$), polarizer 750NT$ (22US$) and the three adaptor rings together 350NT$ (10US$).

I feel the additional weight of 110g for the WA is no big deal to handle, maybe even more balanced if you put a big battery pack on the other end of the cam.

...just to let anyone know who considers to order the same parts online maybe...
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #17
Major Player

Wow Andreas, you seem to get all the BEST deals in Taiwan for items made in Japan. Do you pay any sales taxes there?

BTW, what do you use to protect your 5000Pro (ordinary MC protector or MC UV or the Kenko Hoya thin filter?)
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Allan, I think I just use the Kenko polarizer as protection. Maybe I check for a UV filter later or maybe a ND filter.

Sales tax... hmm, good question... I think I read somewhere that the rate is 5 percent here, but not sure. It's never mentioned on the products.
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:33 AM   #19
Regular Crew

How's the barrel distortion with the Raynox on the GS400?
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Rokta, there is an amazingly low amount of barrel distortion.
I tried to take some sample frame grabs and photo shots in different modes. But they are far from perfect, as I have no tripod yet and the lighting conditions were not good.
I also found the grabs using the wide conversion lens are not very clear, maybe due to further light reduction by the lens or problems with the auto focus ...or just the lens isn't really that good!?
I'll try to do some better grabs later. Anyway, you may take a look...

Video frame grabs without WA - normal wide screen pro cinema
Video frame grabs withWA attached - normal wide screen pro cinema

Photo - without WA
Photo - with WA attached

Btw. on the GS400's LCD the gray frame with the small white arrows was screen filling! So you can see from these grabs how much of the recorded image the LCD hides.
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #21
Regular Crew

correction...

I have to make a small correction regarding vignetting:
when I use the Raynox HD5000pro and Kenko 62mm polarizer together there appears a little vignetting in photo mode.
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #22
Regular Crew

correction number 2...

<<<-- Originally posted by Rokta Bija : How's the barrel distortion with the Raynox on the GS400? -->>>

Hm, there is some barrel distortion when you zoom full out. But not too bad IMHO. When I took the test grabs and photos earlier I zoomed in a bit, so there was almost no barrel distortion visible.
Old August 21st, 2004, 09:31 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Andreas, The distortion doesn't look to bad but it does seem to have some focusing issues in the center vs. perimeter. Do you notice it much in normal shots?
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:18 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Yes Rokta, you seem to be right. Near the perimeter the picture looks not so clear. I packed some video frames with different configurations, take a look and get your own opinion. You can also see the vignetting in different modes.

Kaohsiung City - Cultural Center - file size is 11.8MB

The pack contains 18 BMP images.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:13 PM   #25
Major Player

Andreas,
Are you removing the GS400's hood before mounting the Raynox?
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:13 PM   #26
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Andreas,
Are you removing the GS400's hood before mounting the Raynox? -->>>

Yes Guy, I removed it. I use the original 37-43mm adaptor delivered with the Raynox directly attached to the GS400.
I was surprised to see so much vignetting, especially with Raynox and polarizer attached together. Should have done some more testing in the shop under better lighting conditions! :(
But anyway, the LCD hides some parts of the picture.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:59 PM   #27
Major Player

"But anyway, the LCD hides some parts of the picture."

Andreas, are you referring to both Video and Still Mode? (under Still mode, vignetting can occur even though you don't see it on LCD :-( - but personally, I never use Still mode :-)).

Please try this.
Attach a 62-72 adapter ring on your Raynox and try a 72mm filter. If that doesn't work, try to go up the next size.

Otherwise, don't attach anything on your Raynox. I think the biggest weakness of that Raynos is that it's native size is too small/narrow compared to the diameter of the GS400 glass (that's why I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 52mm or 58mm 6600 PRO instead.).

If it's any consolation, Pany has a disclaimer as regards vignetting even with its own line of lens converters (consumer line)
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:11 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Allan, I mean the LCD panel does not display the full picture area that will be recorded, in both modes: still and video!

Regarding the glass size... yes, the GS400's filter diameter is 43mm, but the actual glas diameter is much smaller! I have to measure this later at home, but I think it's even smaller than the 37mm of the Raynox HD5000pro. Hm, the Raynox might actually also be even smaller than 37mm though.

OK, when I find some time I'll bother the guy in the cam shop again to let me test a 72mm filter! ;)
But as you can see from the sample frame grabs above, vignetting is even there in WIDE and ProCinema modes without the filter attached, only WA.

The 6600pro should be also worth a test, but it's only factor 0.66 instead of 0.5 for the 5000pro! Vignetting should be less an issue on a 0.66 even if had the same 37mm diameter.
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #29
Regular Crew

My measuring showed that the Raynox HD5000Pro has an actual lens diameter of approximately 30mm on the back.
The GS400 also has a glas diameter of approximately 30mm, instead of 43mm for the filter ring.
So maybe I should try to get a thinner adapter ring from 37 to 43mm for my Raynox and test for vignetting again. The original included plastic one seems a little big to me.
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #30
Major Player

The Pro6600 is a lot bigger and heavier than the 5500 Andreas. It doesn't come in 37mm thread. It comes in 3 thread sizes (43, 52 and 58mm).
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant