DVSPOT review GS400 vs GS200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 30th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Tourist

DVSPOT review GS400 vs GS200

In the DVSPOT review, the reviewer concluded if you did not need all the manual control and lower resolution stills, that the GS200 would be more suitable a camera. Does anyone have thoughts on this statement? I was set on getting a GS400 after reading the camcorderinfo review, but now i am thinking twice. Please try to convince me otherwise.

Mark
Mark Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #2
Wrangler

There are a lot more differences between the two than just manual control the resolution of the stills.

Optical Image Stabilization
Quality 16:9 mode
Frame mode
Pro Cinema mode (cine-like gamma, frame, 16:9, 6dB+)
Manual Color
Manual Sharpness
Manual Exposure
Manual Contrast
Multi-Function Ring (zoom, focus, shutter, iris)
Zebra stripes and color bars
Manual audio

Those are the differences that come to mind but I'm sure there are more (like the GS400 having a longer zoom and bigger CCDs).

You'll also notice the better low light performance of the GS400 compared to the GS200 in the Camcorderinfo.com review.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #3
Major Player

I can understand this conclusion if you are strictly a 4:3 shooter, like small cams, and don't have much use for manual control. Picture quality wise, the GS200 and GS400 will be similar in 4:3. Optical image stabilization on the GS400 will give it an edge in lower light.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Outer Circle

The GS400 has larger CCDs and lot more video effective eyes (pixels) to capture information.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #5
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : I can understand this conclusion if you are strictly a 4:3 shooter, like small cams, and don't have much use for manual control. Picture quality wise, the GS200 and GS400 will be similar in 4:3. Optical image stabilization on the GS400 will give it an edge in lower light. -->>>

I was thinking about the same thing. Not sure if I want to carry a "larger" camera arround. If the video quality is almost the same as the gs200, I will ebay the gs400..

-Thomas
Thomas Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 01:40 AM   #6
Outer Circle

>>>The GS400 has larger CCDs and lot more video effective eyes (pixels) to capture information.<<<

>>>If the video quality is almost the same as the gs200, I will ebay the gs400.<<<

Makes sense. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:23 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Thomas Smith :

If the video quality is almost the same as the gs200, I will ebay the gs400..

Based on all the time I spent trying to like the GS200 and a tape full of sample footages of the GS400 taken in various stores, only the color saturation is similar...in terms of clarity and details...not even close...not even in the same class as the cheaper 1-CCD Sony HC40 and Canon Elura70 on those particular aspects...and there's no way to manually adjust sharpness.

But yeah, the size of the GS400 may be a concern to some.

Assuming the overseas models are exactly the same as the Jap one, here are a few more differences.

700MP effective video pixels against 440MP
Low dispersion Leica Dicomar glass
Improved Crystal Engine
Bigger and higher resolution LCD
More powerful built-in flash
Bass enhancer
Smooth color night mode
More manual shutter speed settings under card mode
High speed USB2.0

But if you need MPEG4, the GS200 has it.

In terms of low-light, I think they are about the same.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:44 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
In terms of low-light, I think they are about the same.
The comparison frames I saw showed similar brightness levels but a definite advantage in color accuracy and lack of grain for the GS400. I guess thats a kudos for the larger CCDs, new glass, and improved Crystal Engine.

Here is Camcorderinfo's review of the GS400. Take a look at the 15lux frames.

Click here
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant