Long lasting batteries - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 17th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #16
Regular Crew

OK, I will. Let's see when I find enough time to build this thing and test it sufficiently.
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #17
Major Player

Use the supplied DC cord. Convert the connector on the DIY pack to fit the plug of the DC cord

But if I were you Andreas, I'd save all the trouble and just buy those equivalent batts from HK or Malaysia (sabahoceanic.com) or ebay. They're priced half that of genuine Pany batt. and supposed to have cells that are made in Japan (case is probably from Timbuktu - but at least they look like the real thing). Buying 2 of those equivalent 2040mAh plus the genuine 1360 mAH that comes with the cam should be more than sufficient for most of your applications.

But even assuming the voltage output of the DIY pack can actually meet the tolerance required, I can't imagine myself carrying that COOLEST looking cam in the world with cords dangling from a DIY battery pack? No offense meant ok...just my 20 yen. Good luck to you anyway :-)
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I just took a look at sabahoceanic.com. 63US$ (plus shipping) for a 2040mAh battery!? Did I see this right?? This is the half price of an original Panasonic battery? Wow... In my local shop I pay something like 40US$ for a 2040-Battery.
I ordered one pack already and will probably get it today.
A DIY pack with 12 Panasonic 2100mAh AA cells (so total 4200mAh) would cost me about the same. I think I'll try to build it anyway if I find some time. And as I got a cute small backpack for my GS400 I can hide the ugly self made pack there! ;)
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Btw. another advantage of the DIY pack is that I could replace the cells with normal AA (non-rechargable) batteries if I go to travel on my scooter with my tent for some days and have no place to recharge. 7eleven is almost everywhere! :)
Or is this not such a good idea, because the voltage would be higher (1.2V -> 1.5V)!? Maybe just "short-circuit" one cell compartment with a wire in that case to get 7.5V (5x1.5V)?! Hm...
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #20
Major Player

Yes Andreas, the VBD210 (2040 mAh) costs JPY14,280 (list price JPY17,000) in Bic Camera, Yodobashi Camera, Sakuraya and in most big retailers in Japan. Crazy ne to think these batts travelled only inland from the factory to the stores. Apparently, batts are cheaper in N.A. than Japan. But you can get a 2040 mAH batt for $40 in Taiwan ? WOW!!!!
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #21
Regular Crew

US$40 for 2040mA lithium battery is really cheap. I guess the price of 3rd party battery in HK still require around US$60-70.
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hm, I even saw some 3rd party 2040mAh packs on Yahoo Taiwan auctions for around 1100NT$, that's equal to 32US$ or about 3500Yen. But I don't know if they are really comparable quality to the original.
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #23
New Boot

Quote:
5500mAH : 3 hours 20 mins
Is that the waistpack battery? That doesn't seem like a very long life :-(. Doesn't Sony have some that are rated 8 or 10+ hours?

I've been attending an event every year where there are 7+ hours of events and no electrical outlets available.
John Uchida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:47 AM   #24
Regular Crew

self made 7.2V-4400mAh battery pack - 867NT$ (about 25US$)

Well guys, I've built it last night! ...and that was a hell of a night!! But the result seems quite satisfying!

OK, let's see what I bought...
- 12 pieces 2200mAh rechargable NIMH batteries (although not Panasonic as I said earlier) - 810NT$
- 4 battery compartments, each for 3 pieces - 40NT$
- a power socket, where I had to replace the inner 2.1mm stick with a 2.0 stick, because the Panasonic power adaptor uses a strange format (2.1mm did fit, but got no contact) - 17NT$
...so that's a total of 867NT$

I also bought a voltage meter which I don't use so far - 120NT$. Should have bought a digital one, that's much smaller... hmm

Here is a picture of this stuff.

First I dismantled the small ON/OFF switches from the four incredibly cheap compartments. Then I made the compartments stick together with my soldering iron (brutal way, I know), connected the needed wires and... ended up with a short-circuit. I was confused and disassembled some parts. After a while I found a squeezed wire with broken isolation. I fixed this and tried to plug in the original power adaptor's camera connector cable, but it hardly fit into my pack's outlet and got no electric contact. So I exchanged the inner stick of the outlet. Then it was ok. ...meanwhile it was 3:30AM! Hmm, still 3 and a half hours to sleep... wow, I must have looked terrible this morning at work, but a double-dose-caffeine coffee kept me awake.

Now check the result here, here and here.

The camcorder works without any problems with the new pack. I'm just curious what will happen when the pack runs out of power!? Will the cam suddenly turn off without warning, or indicate low battery power on the LCD top left? Actually that's why I bought the voltage meter. The power cord from the original AC/DC adapter seems to have only two pins connected, instead of all four like a normal battery pack. I think the two additional pins are for the cam to check the voltage, right!?

So I'll do some testing about the possible operating time, probably on the weekend.

Oh and I also got my other 3rd party battery pack. It's 2100mAh and shows "Made in Japan". See the photos here and here. I paid 1500NT$ (44US$) for this one at my local store.

btw. all photos were taken with my PV-GS400 ;)
Old August 26th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #25
Regular Crew

FYI, yesterday the "big block" ran out of power. The GS400 indicated "Battery low" just like using a normal on-cam battery and turned off smoothly after several blinking action, not totally abrupt. Anyway, if I remember right, the battery indicator on the LCD display did not go down step by step.
I had no time so far to test the battery life continously.
Old August 26th, 2004, 02:43 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Andreas,

You bought battery compartment for 6AA or 3AA? If it is 6AA, it should be 7.2V just fit for GS400. And then you connected 4 of them together, then the utlimate power should be 2200mAH@7.2V*4 i.e. 8800mAH, a very long lasting battery!

Have you count the operating time can be used for your big pack?
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #27
Regular Crew

No Tony, I have bought 4 battery compartments, each for 3 batteries. Yes, 6 batteries (or 2 compartments) deliver 7.2V. So it's 2 x 2200mAh ...12 batteries ...4400mAh total. This system is quite modular, so I still can extend it to 24 batteries with 8800mAh later! ;) But for now it's also running well when only 6 batteries are inserted in 2 compartments.
I had not much time to test the maximum operating time yet, but I'll try to do this soon when these stupid typhoons here are gone!
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #28
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by John Uchida : Is that the waistpack battery? That doesn't seem like a very long life :-(. Doesn't Sony have some that are rated 8 or 10+ hours?

Given ratings of VDB7 (5500 mAh) when used on a GS400:

Continuous shooting w/o LCD: 8 hours 15 mins
Continuous shooting w/ LCD: 6 hours 35 mins
Intermittent shooting w/o LCD: 4 hours 10 mins
Intermittent shootingw/LCD: 3 hours 20 mins

Perhaps the Sony 8-hours packs will have similar ratings.
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #29
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by John Uchida : Is that the waistpack battery? That doesn't seem like a very long life :-(. Doesn't Sony have some that are rated 8 or 10+ hours?
-->>>

Is it true that the waistpack battery will not work on US bought GS400 model?

I'm quite interested on the GS400. I do like the black, only Japan release model. I would like to know my options.

-Philip
Phil Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 01:57 PM   #30
Trustee

Has anyone use motorcycle battery 12v with a voltage converter i.e. 7805 to convert voltage from 12v to 7v? Will flash current damage to camcord? How to prevent it?

I know the battery is really heavy and I got one. But it is really powerful.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant