OIS or EIS on GS400? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 18th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

OIS or EIS on GS400?

Hi all,

I found that there are different reviews of GS400 mentioned about the OIS (Optical Image Stablization) feature. However there are also some other info mentioned it has EIS only. Someone even say that it is OIS for photo image, EIS for video capture.

Which one is correct? Or there are different models in different countries offer different features set?

Thanks!
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The GS400 definately has optical image stabilisation.
The strange thing is, that (at least on the NTSC version) the menu says EIS, which usually is referring to "electronic image stabilisation". Maybe in this case it's a shortcut for "enhanced image stabilisation"!?
Somewhere I read in video mode it uses "normal" OIS and in photo mode the "Mega optical image stabiliser", but I'm also not totally sure about this. Anyway, as far as I could test yet, the image stabilisation works quite well in both modes, video and photo, but can not replace a good tripod.
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:43 AM   #3
Wrangler

Andreas is correct as all the photos I have seen say Optical Image Stabilization on the cam itself. Panasonic isn't know for making great manuals (or websites).
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:50 AM   #4
Major Player

The DV953 and GS400 have optical stabilization. If you go to the Panasonic Japan website and click into the GS400 info, there is a drawing that shows how it works.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #5
Major Player

The OIS is based on lens shift. Other cams use a fluid prism. Lens shift stabilisation in fast but shows some resolution lowering at large excursions. The "mega"stabilisation for still photography tries to use a more central area by starting the OIS operation only when the "shoot" button is pushed.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Major Player

I have seen so many people confused over whether or not the DV953 had OIS (it does) because it said "EIS" in the menus. I was surprised the GS400 US version still says "EIS" in the menu. I thought Panasonic would have changed this to avoid confusion about the stabilization method, which is so important to so many people.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

In my PAL GS400 menu says "OIS".
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #8
Wrangler

CLick here for a photo of the Japanese NTSC GS400 that clearly shows the MEGA OIS logo (twice).
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #9
Major Player

The US version does say Mega Optical Stabilzation in the manual, but the internal camera menu says "EIS", same as with the DV953. When the first people (at least the non-video nuts) were getting those cams, they started ranting up a storm about how OIS was advertised, but the cam only had EIS, and considering how many people bashed the EIS on the GS70, 120, & 200 some perspective DV953 owners got scared. I remember seeing post after post about it, and thinking to myself "Pana should clear that up in the menus otherwise buyers who don't do their homework could get scared away from the cam". Needless to say, they left it the same on the US GS400, and I've seen some posts questioning the stablization method for this cam too.
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi all,

Thanks for your info. From many GS400 users, I think it is sure that it should have optical image stablizer but using different terms and name that may confuse users.
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #11
Regular Crew

What if it has both? Once the optical is done with it, why not refine it further with eletronic.
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #12
Major Player

In some sense it does have both. I think the gyro reactions are calculated and controlled electronically, whereas some higher-end OIS systems use fluid reactions to stabilize. So it's a use of an electronic system just not in the traditional EIS sense. BTW, I'm quoting somebody else about the fluid vs. electronic gyro system, so I could be wrong...
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Some of the guys in the sony forum on camcorderinfo say the sony 950 has both OIS and EIS.
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:31 AM   #14
Major Player

Fluid prism or lensshift , both concepts are optical so OIS. Gyrosensors (which measure the cam motion) are not very effective for slow shakes. What sometimes is being implemented is an additional electronic image analysis system ("EIS") which generates (and feeds to the prism/lensshift unit) the necessary correction signals for slow motion. The latter not to be confused with the standard EIS which acts on the CCD readout area.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #15
Outer Circle

Panasonic claims, "This advanced optical system uses more that 90% of the effective pixels captured by the CCDs...."
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant