DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS400 Two words... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/31296-gs400-two-words.html)

Matt Ratliff September 1st, 2004 08:27 PM

GS400 Two words...

Simply unbelievable. I am an amature to video and my opinion probably doesn't mean jack, but the video capture on this camera is amazing. I have had this beaut for 1 week and have only found one weakness. That weakness is the home video software it comes with. It may grow on me, but there's got to be better software out there than that. The stills are a lot better than people say. The camera has a MEGA image stabalizer that you really need to learn how to use for stills. I wish I knew how to get everyone video from my camera," If you are having doubts". I have one question though, does anyone know of some good software for creating home DVD's. WinDVD doesn't like my DVD burner. This camera is awesome. Don't wait spend the money and enjoy.

Guy Bruner September 1st, 2004 08:45 PM

Check out Sony Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0, Pinnacle Studio 9, Ulead Video Studio 8 or TMPGenc. You can get trial versions and test until you find one you want. The big brother to Screenblast is Vegas 5.0 which IMO is the best video editor available for the money.

Eric Chi September 2nd, 2004 12:31 AM

Re: GS400 Two words...

Yes. I bought a GS200 and then read Mark Kubat's review. Returned the GS200 and got a GS400. The images' clarity and colors are amazing. Cannot believe there is such a difference between the two models. (Price is almost double too.)

Eric.

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Ratliff : Simply unbelievable. I am an amature to video and my opinion probably doesn't mean jack, but the video capture on this camera is amazing. I have had this beaut for 1 week and have only found one weakness. That weakness is the home video software it comes with. It may grow on me, but there's got to be better software out there than that. The stills are a lot better than people say. The camera has a MEGA image stabalizer that you really need to learn how to use for stills. I wish I knew how to get everyone video from my camera," If you are having doubts". I have one question though, does anyone know of some good software for creating home DVD's. WinDVD doesn't like my DVD burner. This camera is awesome. Don't wait spend the money and enjoy. -->>>

Allan Rejoso September 2nd, 2004 02:55 AM

GS200 Two Words:

Great size

Good price

Bright LCD

Nice color

Clean image

**Not sharp

**Not clear

Just my 2 cents :-)

**Edit ...Soft focus :-)

Nick Kerpchar September 2nd, 2004 07:03 AM

Allan,
Do you think/know if the DVC30 has a sharper and clearer picture than the GS400?

Thanks, Nick

Tommy Haupfear September 2nd, 2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Do you think/know if the DVC30 has a sharper and clearer picture than the GS400?
4:3 or 16:9? The 16:9 footage comparison by Kaku Ito clearly shows higher resolution on the GS400.

Kaku Ito September 2nd, 2004 09:57 AM

Tommy,

I had to erase the GS400 files to open up the space for XL2 footage files.
I will place them on my company's server and fix the links.

Joe Carney September 2nd, 2004 01:06 PM

Matt, if you have WindowsXP you have Windows MovieMaker already installed, or freely available as a download from MS. It's a start and will let you capture via firewire. If you don't already have a firewire port on you PC, there are several low to high cost options. Most discount electronic stores (Best Buy, Circuit city..) have pci based firewire cards with cables for well under 100.00.

Good luck.

BTW, the latest version of MovieMaker (2) is a pretty good improvement over version 1 , (typical MS)

Tommy Haupfear September 2nd, 2004 01:10 PM

Quote:

BTW, the latest version of MovieMaker (2) is a pretty good improvement over version 1 , (typical MS)
I definitely agree with that statement.

Claus Olesen September 2nd, 2004 05:43 PM

Thank you for the comments on the video preformance of the GS400 v. GS200. I was considering a GS200. I like the small size. And camcorderinfo has "only" 0.5 out of 10 in difference in video performance between them. Maybe that difference would have been greater had the review order been the opposite.

Allan Rejoso September 2nd, 2004 08:33 PM

Claus, I'm not giving you a rating in numbers of the GS200, but in terms of clarity, sharpness and details, the GS200 is NO MATCH compared to ANY megapixel cam, whether it be 1-CCD or 3-CCD. I've seen it on 14 inch TV, 21 inch TV and 42V plasma. The results are consistent.

But because the colors are so rich compared to 1-CCDs that compete with it and the image is clean, overall, video is not bad IMO...and many people actually like the soft look.