GS400 - Cine Gamma in 4:3 mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 8th, 2004, 02:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GS400 - Cine Gamma in 4:3 mode?

Did anyone find out if it's possible to use the Cine Gamma curve in the normal 4:3 mode (interlaced or FRAME)? Or is this really only possible in ProCinema mode?
I find the Cine Gamma setting much more pleasant. The normal mode seems almost always overexposed, even though I turned down the exposure value in picture settings a lot.

Btw. did anyone find the GS400's white balance a bit strange? I can't get really good results using the manual white balance. With my old cheap Pany cam this was always the best mode. But now I found myself using the presets most of the time.

And there was another phenomenon I discovered: when I use high shutter speeds (1/250 plus) in a room with fluorescent lights the white balance seems to change slowly from warm to cold and so on. What could cause this? Some kind of frequency interference? I experienced this in different locations already.
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi, Andreas.

Here is no way to set CINE gamma just in PROCINEMA mode. I made a series of experiments and find out the near-cine gamma can be reached in MANUAL mode. That is my settings: EXPOSURE -2; COLOR 0...+2, SHARPNESS -2; CONTRAST -1.

I agree with you about manual w.b. set, it’s slightly shifts rendition to warm colors. I think that it is engineer deciding to warm tint in modern cams. I have seen that in GS200 and Canon MVX3i (Optura Xi).

Fluorescent lights blinking (50 or 60 Hz) correlates with shutter speed (250 Hz). I believe there no reason to set speed higher 1/50 except in sports shooting.
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree with you Mikhail, I also use 1/60s (NTSC) most of the time, but wish I had 1/30s in FRAME mode!

I used your settings, but it still not really looks like the Cine Gamma of ProCinema mode. Actually I was using the following settings all the time: EXPOSURE -4, COLOR +2, SHARPNESS 0, CONTRAST -2. I guess it's just the different White and Black Point.

About the "fluorescence phenomenon"... here in Taiwan the light frequency should be 60Hz, which is not directly connectable to 250Hz shutter speed. It also occurs on other shutter speeds like 350, 500, 750Hz and so on, even when I set the White Balance to a preset. ...hm, a bit confused...
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant