GS400 turns Purple to Blue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 8th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #1
Major Player

GS400 turns Purple to Blue

I stumbled across a thread on Camcorderinfo.com, where a user claimed that most of the violet and magenta objects he shot were coming up much more blue than they should have. He said he manually white balanced, and tried all the presets, but could not overcome this, and another member seconded his comments.

Have any of you experienced the same? Is there a strong blue shift on this camera overall, or just a problem with purples?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Most miniDV cams have a problem with purples, whether it's a 1-chip or 3-chip camera. Some XL1 footage I have, all the purples came out either blue or pink. Still looked good, though.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Major Player

I think it has to do with secondary colors. Secondary colors are orange, green and violet. These colors are made from the mixture of two primary colors. Their hues are midway between the two primary colors used to mix them. The primary colors are red, blue and yellow, which makes me curious why RGB is the industry standard? If the camera was RBY it could blend the colors better.

Anybody know why we use RGB as the standard?
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #4
New Boot

I have the same problem with my TRV900. Made the Disneyland castle look not too great, like blue again instead of purple!
Tony Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Same thing with the Optura 100. I shot my daughter wearing purple kimono that came out blue...still looked great though.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #6
New Boot

I also bought a sony pc 109 but I returned it to the dealer when I found that same problem. How about the GS400? Same problem too?
Al Anthony Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #7
Trustee

I maybe off target, but this might also be an NTSC problem.

A friend of mine says that NTSC has a problem with red, as compared to PAL.

Can any PAL DV owner check on how his/her camera resolves purples?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #8
New Boot

I use the Pal GS400 and I haven't noticed that problem. But I believe that Pal cameras tend to give a red, magenta hue to everything -mine does- Reality is more yellow-greenish. There is a review of the GS400 at a Russian page that shows that colour deviation also. I have solved this problem with Vegas colour correction utility without any further fuss.

Tomás Inventa Prod. S.L.
Tenerife - Madrid
Andres Koppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #9
"The Cobra"

I've seen $20,000 Sony broadcast cameras do the same thing. If any body lives in Southern Ca. (Newport Beach area) and wants to see this problem with their own eyes, stop in at Mariners Church for a Sat or Sun service. They use purple backgrounds extensively with 2 large screens...so any body can compare the real image to the electronic image.
VX-2000's do the very same thing. Mine do.
I heard from a friend (Bob Houser) that Ikegami cameras can record a true purple, that is why so many networks used them ...he also said the reason that Ikegami perfected them was to record the correct colors on the uniforms of the football teams who used purple in the design.
"Film Look Style"
Eric Ortlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #10
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : The primary colors are red, blue and yellow-->>>

red blue yellow?? they aren't the primary colours for light, the
primary colours for light are Red-Green-Blue

a true multi CCD single colour CCD should contain 7 CCDs, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.(this is not practicle though)

as these are the colours of the full spectrum light

you can pretty much make any colour of light from Red Green and Blue though so this is why they use them.

the CCD for blue probably doesn't pick up much below the blue spectrum so therefore doesn't capture purple as well as it should.

unless you live in some other physical dimension it should be the same for everyone

red blue yellow are the primary colours for pigments in paints etc

sorry if i sound agitate. i was assuming this was something that everyone should have in their general knowledge.
Kamal Tailor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant