GS400/GS200 vs Sony TRV22 - Should I upgrade? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 11th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GS400/GS200 vs Sony TRV22 - Should I upgrade?

Sorry if this post doesn't belong here.

I own a Sony TRV22, single 1/4" CCD cam. I use it for shooting the family and making small shorts with my kids. I purchased the TRV22 in March after reading about its good low light performance.

I'm pretty happy with the Sony but now that the GS400/GS200/GS120 are out I've been reading about them. Most people rave about the color and video quality when in good light. Most people say the EIS on the 200 and 120 is useless. And the low light reports are split down the middle.

I'm wondering if I should upgrade to one of these 3 CCD cams. I will just be doing small family short movies to burn to DVD, pure hobby stuff. I would just love to have the best video quality possible but I also need the low light capability to at least match the TRV22 because I do a lot of indoor shooting.

I also like the size of the TRV22 so the larger size of the GS400 worries me a bit. It seems like there is no perfect model for me. If I go with the GS400 I'm spending much more and have to deal with a larger cam. If I go with the GS200/120 I have terrible EIS and smaller CCDs.

Should I upgrade? Is it worth it?
Brian Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: GS400/GS200 vs Sony TRV22 - Should I upgrade?

HI Andrew,

I don't kow about Sony TRV22. But have compared and bought GS200 and GS400 (returned GS200).

A few points I learned:
1. GS200's EIS is very good, much better than GS120 and better than most sub $1000 Sony's and Canon's. I hand tested all the models I can find in local Fry's.

2. GS200 has a beautiful color. However, the video is NOT very clear. I returned my GS200. And am still so happy I did it.

3. There is a big difference between GS400 and GS200. The GS 400's video is very very clear compared to GS200 (i.e., they are not in the same class.)

4. If size is a concern, I'd sugest Sony HC-40. Otherwise, GS400 is excellent.

Eric.

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Andrews : Sorry if this post doesn't belong here.

I own a Sony TRV22, single 1/4" CCD cam. I use it for shooting the family and making small shorts with my kids. I purchased the TRV22 in March after reading about its good low light performance.

I'm pretty happy with the Sony but now that the GS400/GS200/GS120 are out I've been reading about them. Most people rave about the color and video quality when in good light. Most people say the EIS on the 200 and 120 is useless. And the low light reports are split down the middle.

I'm wondering if I should upgrade to one of these 3 CCD cams. I will just be doing small family short movies to burn to DVD, pure hobby stuff. I would just love to have the best video quality possible but I also need the low light capability to at least match the TRV22 because I do a lot of indoor shooting.

I also like the size of the TRV22 so the larger size of the GS400 worries me a bit. It seems like there is no perfect model for me. If I go with the GS400 I'm spending much more and have to deal with a larger cam. If I go with the GS200/120 I have terrible EIS and smaller CCDs.

Should I upgrade? Is it worth it? -->>>
Eric Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #3
New Boot

Andrew:

If you have a 16:9 TV or are planning to purchase one in the near future there's no question - you should upgrade. After viewing tape and DVDs produced by the GS400 in anamorphic widescreen on my 50" HDTV I can never go back to a 4:3 aspect ratio camcorder.
John Macri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:20 AM   #4
Major Player

But, if you are just a home user, and the TRV22 is already serving you well, why spend the extra money on another camera? Sure a Mercedes is more comfortable, but the existing Toyota gets you around fine, right?

The question is, is it really an upgrade?

For myself, the 1CCD MX8 is great for my own use and nice on my "tiny" TV. But I upgraded to the 3CCD MX350. But it is not for the 3CCDs alone, it is because I needed manual audio adjustments, fast white balance (dedicated button), image control in sharpness and saturation, all of which the MX8 didn't allow me. Moreover, I started shooting semi-pro, so people are paying me.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:14 AM   #5
Trustee

I agree with Yow Cheong Hoe.

If you don't need, there is no need to get another one.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant