DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Question About DVC30 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/31971-question-about-dvc30.html)

Sam Welchel September 15th, 2004 09:20 AM

Question About DVC30

I've ordered a DVC30 (haven't received it, yet). I have a couple of questions for anyone familiar with these.

What is the "handle" attachment on top of the camera that is in the pictures on Panasonic's web site? It's obviously for attaching accessories, but I can't find it anywhere as an accessory. It's not listed on B&H's web site nor Panasonic's web site. Is it included in the package?

Also, is the IR adapter/booster accessory worthwhile for extending the night shooting mode? About how far, in realilty, does the built-in IR illuminator work?

And finally, does the Panasonic DVX100A "Unidirectional" microphone work well as an upgrade over the built-in microphone? It says it works with XLR or with a button battery. Does the cable unplug if you use it with the battery on the DVC30?

Thanks for any help,
Sam

Mark Phillips September 15th, 2004 02:30 PM

Congratulations on your new camera Sam, I've had mine for a little over a month now and it's a great camera!

The handle is included and it's removeable, it also contains the hot shoe for connecting accessories such as the XLR mic adapter.

The built-in IR isn't bad for close-up work, however, you will be able to extend your range considerably using the optional IR emitter. You will need to remove the lens hood for best results with the built-in emitter...nice feature though.

The built-in mic is about like all camcorder mics...it will pick up sound and that's about it...I have the optional mic package and while it's a pretty good improvment, you'll probably want to invest in a decent mic system that will meet your needs (that's what I'm planning on). Check out the audio section here for some ideas.

Hope the info answers some of your questions. There's not a lot of discussion on here yet specific to the DVC30...hopefully as more people get this camera we can generate some good discussion.

Good luck with your new camera!

Sam Welchel September 15th, 2004 03:32 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to it. (It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow.) It's my first camcorder. We have a new child and that, of course, prompted me to get one.

I also wanted the option of possibly accepting some small paying jobs with it down the road, if I enjoy shooting and can get good enough. May never happen, but I at least wanted the option (that's why I didn't go with the GS400).

I think I'll get the IR booster.

Thanks again,
Sam

Alex Gee September 16th, 2004 08:10 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Phillips :

The handle is included and it's removeable, it also contains the hot shoe for connecting accessories such as the XLR mic adapter.

-->>>
Actually, there is no hot shoe. The XLR adapter connects via a cable.

Peter Jefferson September 19th, 2004 09:38 AM

can someone tell me if i can hook up a standard 3.5mm plug to the mic input (not the proprietary input.... ie NOT the XLR adapter input)

also, does the handle havbe a shoe UNDER the top mount?? Where does teh XLR adapter mount to??

Basically, im tryin to determine if someone can connect a MK300 to the undermount (and have the mic UPSIDE DOWN) and have a light mounted to the top mount on the handle at teh same time..

any ideas??

Alex Gee September 20th, 2004 07:27 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : can someone tell me if i can hook up a standard 3.5mm plug to the mic input (not the proprietary input.... ie NOT the XLR adapter input)

also, does the handle havbe a shoe UNDER the top mount?? Where does teh XLR adapter mount to??

Basically, im tryin to determine if someone can connect a MK300 to the undermount (and have the mic UPSIDE DOWN) and have a light mounted to the top mount on the handle at teh same time..

any ideas?? -->>>
Yes, Peter, there is a 3.5mm mike socket.
There is no shoe under the top mount. A small mounting plate comes with the XLR kit. This gets screwed to the underside of the handle and the XLR box clips onto this.

Peter Jefferson September 21st, 2004 04:08 AM

thanks for that Alex :)