Kingston SD/512 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 27th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #1
Trustee

Kingston SD/512

Hello everyone,

May I ask if Kingston SD/512 can be used in GS400K Japanese edition?

I have enclosed a link for your reference.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/liveware...mare51ses.html

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #2
Wrangler

The Japanese GS400 will support up to a 1GB SD card.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #3
Trustee

May I ask how is the quality of Kingston SD card?

TIA
Leigh
Old September 28th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've never had a bad SD card and I've had quite a few including Kingston. I wouldn't purchase a high speed SD card unless you also have a digital camera that uses them.
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #5
Trustee

I found that Kingston one is quite cheap compare to other brand and I worried about the reason of the cheapness.

May I ask 512m is reasonable big enough to take still photo on gs400? How many photos can be put on 512m sd card? I have no idea about still photo on gs400.

TIA
Leigh
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #6
Wrangler

The link below will give you the number of shots per each resolution for SD cards ranging from 32MB to 1GB for the GS400. The picture below has a little Japanese mixed in but you can make out the resolutions, card sizes, and number of shots very easily.

Click here

I think a 128MB or 256MB would be plenty for my needs but I guess it depends on how much you rely on your camcorder for stills and how often you transfer them to your computer.
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Dear Tommy,

That is really helpful.

Thanks

Regards
Leigh
Old September 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Just my opinion, you don't have to worry about the quality of SD card if you intend to use it on a GS400. I would be more concerned about the quality of stills itself, which, based on my tests, is still far below the quality of a digital cam.

If any of your friend has an MMC card or SD card that you can borrow to take test shots, try to do so before deciding on getting a high capacity and pricey SD card. I think that would have been the best use of a 16MB SD card supplied in previous models but unfortunately is no longer included in Pany's standard kit :-( The shoulder strap is gone as well and has become an optional accessory.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #9
Trustee

I checked following images and all seems very good.

http://panasonic.jp/dvc/popup/gs400k...le_photo_1.jpg
http://panasonic.jp/dvc/popup/gs400k...le_photo_2.jpg
http://panasonic.jp/dvc/popup/gs400k...le_photo_3.jpg
http://panasonic.jp/dvc/popup/gs400k...le_photo_4.jpg
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #10
Major Player

I won't argue that it is possible to get good quality stills from a GS400. What disappoints me the most about camcorders used as digital cam are as follows:

1. from my personal experience, ratio between great shots over mediocre ones is VERY low. Based on 5 units I have thoroughly tested so far, I'd say that opinion still holds for the GS400. My reference quality is that of Canon Powershot G3. I'd guesstimate that even amateurs can get higher than 90% chance of taking great shot using a digital cam, but probably no more than 50% when using a videocam. Anybody else care to share their thoughts on this?

2. built-in flash is either too strong or too weak.

3. it takes forever to save high resolution shots to memory card.

4. this might be crazy but personally, I consider a cam good if it makes my models look great, especially myself :-), and I can't say GS400 used as digital cam has been helpful enough :-)

In any case, I notice that good still quality is achievable especially if you shoot very close to the subject. Just take a look at the first 3 samples you posted. I myself took some super close up shots of a small crucifix in the house and the result was dramatic.

Under ideal shooting condition or high contrast subjects, of course any cam would shine. However as the condition becomes less and less ideal, the gap between digital cam and videocam becomes increasingly prominent, IMO.

Good luck to you anyway.

Cheers
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #11
Trustee

Dear Allan,

Take still photo from GS400 cost me nothing extra. It is an add on function which I don't bother too much. 512M sd card cost me NZ$90 which is around US$60. I think that is quite cheap. I don't own a digital still camera and I don't want to buy one now as I am mainly interested in video shooting.

Regards
Leigh
Old October 5th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #12
Trustee

I got my sd card and tried it and seems working.

I don't know japanese, so I can't use menu to delete the photo I took. May I ask how can I do it in Windows? I tried the file explorer and use delete key and it seems does not work. I can't delete the file.

Regards
Leigh
Old October 5th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #13
Wrangler

Leigh, I would try using an external USB card reader to delete, transfer, and format the SD card.
Old October 5th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #14
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : Leigh, I would try using an external USB card reader to delete, transfer, and format the SD card. -->>>

Hi Tommy,

May I ask the reason?

I worry about sd card lead wear and tear due to frequent taken out of the camcorder and card reader.

Regards
Leigh
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #15
Trustee

I read English manual and found to clear the photos by using camercord menu.

By the way, I found every time I press shot, it will take a while to shoot next photo.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant