GS400 Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old October 14th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GS400 Questions

Is GS400 footage up to broadcast standards? Also. is it true that the manual is pretty difficult to decipher?

Thanks for any feedback!
Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Is GS400 footage up to broadcast standards?
Sure, if you have sole footage of an alien invasion!

Seriously though, I believe there is a gentleman here that uses his GS400 for a fishing show in Florida.

I personally think a 1/3" 3CCD would be the bare minimum and even then only for run-n-gun gag shows and behind-the-scenes footage but I guess it depends on what you're shooting. Another problem is that the GS400 lacks a lot of manual controls compared to 1/3" and 1/2" 3CCD cams. One last issue is depth of field which can be a challenge wtih smaller pixel laden CCDs.

The GS400 is still a great cam and I'm looking forward to purchasing one in the coming weeks.

The manual isn't that great but you can see for yourself by downloading a PDF copy from the top of thread list.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

"Is GS400 footage up to broadcast standards?"

"Sure, if you have sole footage of an alien invasion!"

Not a bad idea, Tommy. I could call it "Lust in Space"!

Thanks but think I'll hold out for the GL3.

Dorothy
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hold out for the GL3, Dorothy? You might be waiting quite awhile!

In my opinion if you have something to shoot, then now is always the best time to buy. Go for the GS400 now, you can always sell it later on... no doubt it's going to hold its value very well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #5
Major Player

In my opinion, any of the 3CCD panasonic cams will shoot broadcast quality video in 4x3 and good light. Where the 1/3 and 1/2 inch cams outshine the Panys is in low light. A large CCD cam with low pixel count will naturally have better low light performance than a 1/6 inch or 1/4.7 inch with megapixels. Interestingly enough, the GS120 is slightly better in low light than the GS400, but still not as good as a GL2, XL1S or VX2100.

However, if you are interested in DV widescreen, the GS400 is up there with the best. Of course, there is very little TV broadcast in DV widescreen.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Talking about broadcast quality... video from my GS400 exhibits jittery or blurring (don't know the prof word) along long vertical lines - as on tall buildings. That eliminates it from the broadcast category in my mind. But maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Claus Olesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Major Player

The GL2 rebate has been extended to at least december, so good luck on the GL3.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : The GS400 is still a great cam and I'm looking forward to purchasing one in the coming weeks.

Tommy, I played a little bit with the new Sony HDV today and I have a gut feeling that would more likely be your next cam instead of the GS400 :-).
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #9
Wrangler

Allan, that would be nice. What is the price in Japan?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #10
Major Player

JPY350,000 in discount shops, JPY399,000 in Bic Camera.

There are too many buttons all over the body and I'd like to see the full English version of this cam when it comes out.

Quite an improvement over the JVC HD1 based initial impressions :-)
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Tommy, I can't access large pdf files so unable to peruse GS400 manual. How would you rate it? I've read several comments on camcorder review sites about Panasonic's less than optimal manuals.

"Hold out for the GL3, Dorothy? You might be waiting quite awhile!

In my opinion if you have something to shoot, then now is always the best time to buy. You could always sell a GS400 later... no doubt it's going to hold it's value very well."

Chris, I went to a camera store yesterday and finally got my hands on the GS400. Much lighter than I expected and very "consumery" looking. According to the salesguy, the GL3 won't debut till next spring. Another opinion for Area 51!

Actually, the GS400 was just a passing fancy. I'd really like a DVX100A, DVC30 or the next GL release.

Did you ever get your DVC30?

Dorothy
Old October 15th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

<< Did you ever get your DVC30? >>

I'm like, *this* close. The only thing holding me back is that I'm not sure that I'll be comfortable with the audio controls. They're accessible via the menu system only... I sure wish the audio was controlled by manual knobs on the camera body. I just have to get my head around that, I guess!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #13
Regular Crew

<< Did you ever get your DVC30? >>

"I'm like, *this* close. The only thing holding me back is that I'm not sure that I'll be comfortable with the audio controls. They're accessible via the menu system only... I sure wish the audio was controlled by manual knobs on the camera body. I just have to get my head around that, I guess"

Chris, I didn't realize the GS 400 lacked audio knobs. What a bummer! Wouldn't this seriously limit your creative control?

Dorothy
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM   #14
Major Player

I know I should not put this post here but I like this particular message board.

Anyway, for visitor in Japan, Bic Camera in West Shinjuku has a very nice side-by-side comparison among the FX1, HD1, VX2100, GL2 and XL2 - all connected to 23V Sony LCD HDTV. You can even connect the GS400 and HC1000 if you want.

The FX1 is HD for real!!!! Sorry to owners of the HD1, the VX2100, the GL2 and the XL2 but if I have at least $3,500 to spend for a cam, the FX1 is it! One thing for sure, it's pretty darn cool to see yourself in true hi-vision :-)).

Now back to reality. In the meantime, I'm more than satisfied with my sub-$1000 black GS400 as long as I don't try to recall the resolution of the FX1.

My next question, has anybody here used a Canon wideconverter WC-DC58 (0.8x) with their Panasonic videocam or any other cam make? That wideconverter is supposed to be for digital cams (Canon Powershot G2 in particular) but since it has been replaced by the WC-DC58N (0.7x), some stores in Akihabara are now selling used ones (in excellent condition complete with box and pouch) for about $40.
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:34 PM   #15
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : << Did you ever get your DVC30? >>

I'm like, *this* close. The only thing holding me back is that I'm not sure that I'll be comfortable with the audio controls. They're accessible via the menu system only... I sure wish the audio was controlled by manual knobs on the camera body. I just have to get my head around that, I guess! -->>>

If you're using the XLR adapter you'll get manual audio controls via a couple of small knobs on the adapter.
Gary Garner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant