GL2 Frame Movie Mode v DVC30 Movie Simulation Mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:02 PM   #1
Tourist

GL2 Frame Movie Mode v DVC30 Movie Simulation Mode

The GL2 describes its Frame Movie Mode as "a non-interlaced method . . to record 30 frames of video per second . . it's perfect for users who choose to grab high quality still images from for making prints." This is an attractive feature for what I want to do.

I am deciding between and GL2 and the DVC30 and am leaning toward the DVC30 but want to be sure that the DVC30 has this same feature.

Is the DVC30 Movie Simulation Mode the same thing as the GL2 Frame Movie Mode and does it allow for the capturing of quality still images??

Any other thoughts to help my decision between the GL2 and the DVC30 would be appreciated (non-profesional use for home and for capturing indoor and outdoor sporting events and theatrical performances.)

Thanks.
Kevin Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome Kevin!

The GL2 and DVC30 both use frame mode which does make for easier frame grabs but its important to know that both decrease resolution compared to progressive scan (see also DVX100A).

Kevin, the link below covers interlace, frame mode, progressive scan, and it may be of some help to you.

Click here for article (PDF format)

Personally, I would go for the DVC30 with its cine-like gamma, XLR inputs, and cheaper price.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

For comparison here are some frames from other frame mode and interlaced cams. Note that the PDX10 has the highest resolution and does not suffer resolution loss due to frame mode. The problem with interlaced frame grabs is that they often look like this Click here.

Panasonic PV-DV953 (frame mode with 16:9)

Click here

Panasonic NV-GS100 (frame mode with 16:9)

Click here

Sony DSR-PDX10 (interlaced with 16:9)

Click here
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM   #4
Wrangler

According to Adam Wilt's review of the DVC-30 in DV Magazine, its frame mode is accomplished by field doubling which results in a 50% resolution loss....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Just in case anyone is interested, I did a test with the dvc30 using a resolution chart. I was hoping that leaving the camera in interlaced mode and using 1/30 shutter instead of 1/60 shutter would give the frame mode look (which it did) but not decrease the verticle resolution like frame mode does. Well, using 1/30 shutter in interlaced gives the exact same resolution results as frame mode does. Oh well, it was worth a try.

And one last point according to my tests with the chart, putting the camera in frame mode does decrease verticle resolution, but not horizontal resolution.So when you hear the the 50% loss, one would assume a horrible change when going into frame mode, but since it only affects verticle resolution, it's not that drastic of a change. Here's a comparison picture of my tests:

http://spmservices.com/test.htm

***note, don't use the pictures to determine resolution of the camera, it's more just to compare the various modes with different shutter speeds. I zoomed 400% on frame grabs in areas of the chart from each mode to show a comparison.
Bill Jernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #6
New Boot

One last note about the above tests, on the change from frame mode to interlace(at 1/60shutter), the verticle resolution changed in my test from 300 lines to 400 lines. While I didn't do this in exacting labratory conditions , It definaty didn't show a 50% loss in verticle resolution one would expect. Although it's also possibe the field doulbling required in frame mode can give the illusion on the chart that it's only losing about 25% of it's vert resolution.

All that aside, It's a great camera. Using the scene files where you have control over many aspects of the picture from sharpness, chroma, contrast and so on makes this an excellent camera. It's got an awesome zoom and zoom control. Been a very happy owner so far.
Bill J.
Bill Jernigan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant