DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   It's mine now ! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/37570-its-mine-now.html)

Benjamin Durin January 10th, 2005 12:22 AM

It's mine now !

I bought a GS400 when I was in Honk Kong for the weekend.
For those who are interested to buy one there, here is the info:
I saw it in "Broadway" (the name of the shop) at 10990HK$, including a case, a tripod, 5 Panasonic tapes, one additional battery, and a toy offered by the shop.
After discussion, they bring it down to 10400HK$ with the same things plus a 128M SD card and another toy.

Of course, I bought it !
It is a PAL version, with 3 different plugs, that supports all voltages. Awesome for the traveller.

I filmed my weekend in Hong Kong and already made a DVD, it looks great. My wife who was jealous of me buying a new toy wasn't very happy when I shot with the camera. But when I showed her the DVD she said it was too short !

The only thing I don't like now is my hands are too big for this camera (I am 1,92m tall). It's not easy to press the different buttons. But I have no choice with a non professional camera.

Anyway, I chose this model because of what I read in the DVInfo forums and am very satisfied so thanks to everybody.

Benjamin.

Andreas Winkler January 10th, 2005 01:01 AM

Congratulations Benjamin!
But here in Taiwan we use NTSC, isn't this a problem for you? Where is your origin?
I think now you can get this cam (NTSC version) including these accessories and warranty for the same price in Taiwan now.

Frank Granovski January 10th, 2005 02:27 AM

How much is "10400HK$" in US Dollars?

Ahmet Ilhan January 10th, 2005 08:55 AM

1334 us Dollars accrodig to todays rates. does not sound much cheap. or depends on the quality of the extras

Leigh Wanstead January 10th, 2005 12:25 PM

I paid around US$1,000 to www.pricejapan.com to buy a japanese version of gs400(Black) around three months ago. The price including shipping cost to New Zealand from Japan. The delivery took about a week.

I assume PAL version is far more dear than NTSC one.

Regards
Leigh

Frank Granovski January 10th, 2005 06:51 PM

$1334 US is no deal for an NTSC version, I would think; but as it was mentioned, it probably is for the PAL version. Since PAL is a larger market, the PAL version should be the less expensive version. I wonder what the GS400 sells for Down-Under, in US Dollars? Let me see, we probably have 5 months before a GS400 replacement gets introduced. That's 5 months for prices to drop (I would think). ;)

Benjamin Durin January 10th, 2005 09:05 PM

I bought a PAL for several reasons:[list=1][*] I am French and my family is in France, so I want to send them PAL DVD.[*] I have no problems at home to read PAL or NTSC.[*] If I want to convert from one standard to another, I think it is easier and better to do it from PAL.[*] I don't really like NTSC, don't know why.[/list=1]
I saw this cam in a shop in Taiwan for 50000NT$ (~US$1500) and it was a NTSC version. No way.
I could have order it online but because of the famous tape transport problem I thought it was better to buy in a shop and try it right away.
Mine has a warranty but you could probably buy a cheaper one without.
And a friend just wrote me it was a good deal, in France it costs 1500Euros minimum (~US$2000).

And for those who speak only US$ (any currency in fact), they can convert here http://www.xe.com/ucc/.

Benjamin,
(again, very happy)

Leigh Wanstead January 10th, 2005 09:38 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Benjamin Durin : I bought a PAL for several reasons:[list=1][*] I am French and my family is in France, so I want to send them PAL DVD.[*] I have no problems at home to read PAL or NTSC.[*] If I want to convert from one standard to another, I think it is easier and better to do it from PAL.[*] I don't really like NTSC, don't know why.[/list=1]
I saw this cam in a shop in Taiwan for 50000NT$ (~US$1500) and it was a NTSC version. No way.
I could have order it online but because of the famous tape transport problem I thought it was better to buy in a shop and try it right away.
Mine has a warranty but you could probably buy a cheaper one without.
And a friend just wrote me it was a good deal, in France it costs 1500Euros minimum (~US$2000).

And for those who speak only US$ (any currency in fact), they can convert here http://www.xe.com/ucc/.

Benjamin,
(again, very happy) -->>>

Let's say it is a bargain. 8 )

Andreas Winkler January 11th, 2005 12:33 AM

Benjamin, probably you went to the wrong shop up there in Taipei! ;) I got mine almost half a year ago for 42500NT$ incl. some accessories here in Kaohsiung in a shop.
Anyway, congratulations to your purchase again! It's a great cam, no matter PAL or NTSC version.
Btw. I sent some NTSC DVDs to my relatives in Germany and they had no trouble at all playing these.

Benjamin Durin January 11th, 2005 04:05 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Andreas Winkler : Benjamin, probably you went to the wrong shop up there in Taipei! ;) I got mine almost half a year ago for 42500NT$ incl. some accessories here in Kaohsiung in a shop.
Anyway, congratulations to your purchase again! It's a great cam, no matter PAL or NTSC version.
Btw. I sent some NTSC DVDs to my relatives in Germany and they had no trouble at all playing these. -->>>

Maybe, it was in Nova near Taipei Main Station. I also heard that Taipei is more expensive than the rest of Taiwan. Anyway I was not interested by a NTSC version so I didn't look very far.
My parents have an old TV set that doesn't support NTSC, I already tried that a long time ago. And they are not very comfortable with remote controls, setting menus and these kinds of weird things. It is the same story with my brother and his small old TV set.
For me, PAL has also more resolution and a frame rate closer to 24.
My only big regret with this cam is it is not progressive. I didn't test the frame mode yet but I heard it is not really good. It's a shame because it is so easy to manipulate progressive footage.

I hope soon there will be no more PAL nor NTSC, no interlacing and it will be a better world !

Guy Bruner January 11th, 2005 06:48 AM

Frame mode, especially in 16:9, is quite good. Also, you should try the procinema mode. Make sure you set the stills to 640x480 or the cam won't go into procinema mode.

Andreas Winkler January 11th, 2005 08:27 AM

Oh, actually that brings up a quite interesting question in me...
is this lowest still mode resolution on the PAL model really 640x576, or also 640x480 as I expect, Benjamin?
And what are the other still resolutions? I guess that's the same on PAL and NTSC GS400. But please confirm!

Tommy Haupfear January 11th, 2005 09:22 AM

Andreas, you can download the GS400 PAL manual with the first stickie post at the top of this forum.

Guy Bruner January 11th, 2005 11:11 AM

Its 640x480 in either PAL or NTSC. I was in error and corrected the post.

Mark Easton January 11th, 2005 02:47 PM

I had a friend search Hong Kong for me recently for a PAL GS400. He went to a couple of shops we found highly recommended on the net and the prices were about what you paid Benjamin. I think you got a good price and you wouldn't think many countries would go much lower than HK.

Since some Parallel Import companies in New Zealand sell for the same price and will handle the guarantee I decided not to get from HK.

For anyone in Australasia or Europe wanting to buy I would suggest looking at http://www.globalmediapro.com. Products are parallel imported but have only heard good things about company.

The cheapest I have found PAL GS400 online is Singapore www.bargaincity.com.sg who have it for about $US1250 however I presume the shops there have it for less.

Cheers
Mark