Cheap Zoom Controller for DVC30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Cheap Zoom Controller for DVC30

Just bought a DVC30 today and I noticed on Panasonic's website they sell the wired remote that comes with the PV-GS400 for only $26.53 part # N2QCBD000030 WIRED REMOTE WITH MIC. Has anyone ever tried to use one of these remotes with a DVC or DVX model? I imagine not all the functions would work, but It would be a real cheap solution for a zoom controller, if only the zoom function worked.

Even if no one responds, I may take a chance and buy it and give it a try.

Michael DeMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome Michael and congrats on your new cam!

Are the connections the same? I haven't seen the wired remote of the GS400 but I'm sure its familiar to my old GS100 remote. I'll post up a pic tonight and maybe you can compare it to your DVC30.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM   #3
New Boot

Don't have the camera yet, shipped out today, should have it next week some time.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 12:11 AM   #4
Major Player

There is a schematic of the GS series wired remote here. I doubt the DVC30 would use the same control circuitry, though.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Major Player

If you want a zoom controller that will work with the DVC30, check here.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'm hoping a GS400 user can chime in but below is a photo of the GS100 remote mic/zoom controller connector and if its the same as a GS400 then the DVC30 would need to have the exact same kind of connection.

Notice that there are three black rings around the center piece. Then you have the base which is similar to a composite A/V connection.

Click here for photo
Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Yep, that appears to be the same controller as used on the GS120/200/400. There's a shot of the jack and phone plug in the link I posted above.
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I have the wired remote from the DV953 and I also have the DVC30 camera.

Yesterday I tried using that wired remote on the DVC30 and it did not work.

I don't know if the wired remote of the DV953 is the same as the wired remote of the GS400.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #9
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear :

Notice that there are three black rings around the center piece. Then you have the base which is similar to a composite A/V connection.

-->>>

Tommy,

That photo can be misleading. Are you sure there are three rings in that plug or it's just the shadow of the plug cap throwing a "ring shadow" on the plug?

Please confirm there are three rings on that plug, because if that is the case it means they are using special connectors which are not yet standard.

Guy,

The link you mentioned shows a standard stereo 1/8" plug. If the GS400 remote uses a 3-ring plug then that diagram is not complete.

Another thing: the way the cap is designed it looks as if there are threads inside. It looks like there are. If so it might be the same type used on the Sony FX1 and several wireless mics. It's a much better plug then.

Whatever the answers I have devised a DIY way to use the remote control and still be able to input an external audio source (mic or mixer): I can simply cut the cable and do an adaptor where I can plug the remote/zoom terminals and an audio input. It will be a mono input, apparently, but I don't plan to do any stereo on-camera recordings with it.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #10
New Boot

Thanks for all your replies.

Adam Frolickman's post is what I was looking for;

Someone who has both cameras on hand and could test it out. The DV953 remote is probably not exactly like the GS400, but I think its safe to assume that it is very similar and that the DVC30 does not have the internal circuitry to support such a device.

Too bad, since $26 is nothing to pay for a wired zoom controller, which is really useful for no-shake zooms while the cam is on a pod.
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #11
Wrangler

Carlos, there are three rings and I definitely agree that the third one is hard to see from my photo. I also believe that the cap at the base is yet another connection. Its not threaded but it is plated the same gold like color on the inside. With the remote offering REC button, zoom controller, Photo Shot button, Talk button, and of course a microphone its obvious this connection is highly proprietary compared to a standard 1/8" stereo mini-plug.
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #12
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : Carlos, there are three rings and I definitely agree that the third one is hard to see from my photo. I also believe that the cap at the base is yet another connection. Its not threaded but it is plated the same gold like color on the inside.
-->>>

I didn't know there was another connection at the base. What I called cap was the "can-like" gold plated other end of the plug, where the plastic holds the connector from. If there's a thread inside and if there's another thread on the GS400 jack, then you can fix the connector there and it will not move. Is it like that?

<<<--With the remote offering REC button, zoom controller, Photo Shot button, Talk button, and of course a microphone its obvious this connection is highly proprietary compared to a standard 1/8" stereo mini-plug. -->>>

OK, it's difficult to deal with proprietary parts, but you can cut the wire and split the wires for different functions. A base that can be bolted to the camera, as Beachtek adaptors are, might be a good idea. On it you can then fix better connectors, like XLR or 1/4" jacks, that will deal better with plugging/unplugging, separating the audio functions from the camera functions.

It's still to be seen if the third rings is there to allow 2-channel audio. That would be great.

Carlos
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #13
Wrangler

Carlos, I believe the can part itself is for a connection and has no threads. Its more like a composite RCA cable like the one below.

Click here
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #14
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : Carlos, I believe the can part itself is for a connection and has no threads. Its more like a composite RCA cable like the one below.
-->>>

That can only be if the bottom part of the can is also plastic or some isolator, which I doubt.

The can and the last part of the connector is usually the ground valid for the whole plug. Every ring is a "live" connection serving one function.

Pity the can has no threads, but it will still help the plug seat firmly on the jack, preventing some play.

That was very thoughtful of Panasonic, because a cabled remote control is something you move around and that might jeopardize the 1/8" jack spring contacts. The can will prevent that a bit. But it still might be better to do a fixed adaptor as I described, and never unplug the camera connector.

It would be great to find a GS400 service manual to see what belongs on each ring, instead of trying the wires by trial and error later.

Carlos
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #15
Major Player

Carlos,
The phone plug is 3 rings and has a cap. If you look through that thread in its entirety, you'll see pictures of the plug and jack and discussion about how the 6 connector jack is used. It is not a standard off-the-shelf plug and jack. It has to be ordered from a specialty electronics supplier. Also, at the end of the thread is a schematic of the remote.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant