GS400 'soft skin' feature... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 26th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GS400 'soft skin' feature...

I've got a wedding coming up and would like to know about the GS400's 'soft skin' feature. Does it make the skin look softer and more radiant and sort of blend away any blemishes? would you use it in a wedding montage?
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, it's supposed to do exactly what you say.
How usefull is it you can decide by taking some test shots.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Wrangler

Jeremy, an indoor or outdoor wedding?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's indoors..

It's an indoor wedding. My concerns are that any advantages with soft skin would be that the skin tones would come out with a bit of noise from the blurring and subsequent encoding to mpg2.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

I would be more concerned with light levels during the cermony. Have you tried a test run? Your footage may be so dark that the skin tone feature has little to no effect.

I say this because I shot an indoor wedding last year with a PDX10 (also 1/4.7" 3CCD) and the footage was useless and I was lucky to have a VX2000 (1/3" 3CCD) as the primary cam. The bride's mother would not let me raise the lighting by even one candle. :)
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Actually, the use of 'soft skin' will be used for a vignette. The actual wedding will be shot with the camera on it's normal function.
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #7
Major Player

It might be better to use a mist or softening filter if you like that look...or you can do it in post. I'd shoot with all the resolution I could get, then soften it in post. That way, if you don't like the look, you can go back to the full resolution image. I also agree with Bogdan...shoot some first with soft skin before using it for real.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Definitely agree with doing it in post, especially if shooting in a low light situation. Many more choices re getting the look you want when you start off with a decent image and good software. (Says she who screwed up one scene by misadjusting the filter.)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant