Dv953 cold weather at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 14th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Dv953 cold weather

OK I just purchased this camera from a great guy here in the community... BUT now I am having a few problems... I think maybe its cold weather problems... Looks like either the blue gun or the red gun shuts off either while recordeing or not and I am looking at a green tint video, then in a few minutes it kicks back on and I have perfect color again. This has happened outside... Yesterday it was 28 and 15 mile winds and before a bit warmer. ... I did a reset on the camera but I haven’t had a chance to test yet. I just wasn't sure if maybe it's the cold or a camera that was shaken hard when it was shipped... And no the previous owner never had a problem and even shipped the camera before he received the money order... Anyway any thoughts?
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Craig,
There aren't any guns in the camera, only photosites. That said, I have a MX500 and have experienced strange goings on with its white balance occasionally. Sometimes I will see blue tinted video in the viewfinder. A quick cycle through the WB presets and back to auto usually solves it.

You can get this problem if you are shooting a scene with different lighting conditions to where the camera is located, eg shooting out the window of a room where the interior of the room is lit with incandescent (even if none of the tungsten lit room is in shot). The camera balances for tungsten because that is the light striking the WB sensor, but then the actual scene is a different colour temp.

Next time it happens just switch to the outdoor preset and see if that solves the problem.

I have heard that firing up the camera with the lens cap on, then taking the lens cap off can cause this problem, I don't know why this would be true though, because I don't think the WB sensor is TTL.

Cheers.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Major Player

White Balance

Yep I agree it looks like a bad white balance and am happy some one else has had a problem with this... I'll try and keep in mind about the camera cap and turning the camera on.. Anyway I'll keep an eye on the camera in the next few weeks... thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant