DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   MX300 What are the best filters for it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/4285-mx300-what-best-filters.html)

Dreadman October 12th, 2002 12:30 PM

MX300 What are the best filters for it?

Hi, I hope to have purchased the Panasonic MX300 by Thursday.

But I'm wondering what filters are the best ones for this camera.

First question is, which filters are generally "must have" ones?

I'm really interested in the Color Graduation Filters and the Polorizing filters. And a good set of multiple ND filters.

Thanks,
C-ya.

Frank Granovski October 12th, 2002 03:26 PM

You don't really need any filters for it except for a UV to protect the lens. I have a Heliopan on mine, but just get with what is available. Most of my filters are Cokins. They're great for the money. However, Hoya's good too. A polarizer should be your second filter, because it's the most useful.

NDs force your cam to "open up." Some NDs are also polarizers, and some NDs are also softening filters. Most filters are there so people have a choice. They're tools.

These are the filters I have:

Heliopan UV
Polarizer
Cokin Sunsoft
Cokin 81A
Cokin 81B
Cokin Softwarm
Cokin Sepia
B+W 099 (orange)
Heliopan flouescent

I would just get a UV and Polarizer for starters, then get some filter pamphlets to see what there is.

Dreadman October 13th, 2002 03:09 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The filters I'll buy first will be a UV and a Polorizer. But I also would like some ND filters as the MX300 doesn't have one by itself. That way I'll be able to play a little more with the depth of field and get a little more contrast in the skies.

So, I can fit every filter on this cam aslong as the size is right?

Thanks,
C-ya.

Frank Granovski October 13th, 2002 03:56 AM

Yes, most filters will fit your MX300, as long as they are 43mm filters. One exception is Leica filters. They have a different pitch, so they will not screw on. They are meant for Leica cameras only.

Cokin screw on filters should be available in your neck of the woods, if not, order them from France. I have a link at:

www.dvfreak.com - just look for that banner with filter sizes.

Hoya is another good brand with a full range of sizes.

Dreadman October 13th, 2002 06:36 AM

OK, thanks again.

I'll do some research on the web to find a good dealer near me.

BTW: Do you know if the Tiffen or the Trikon filters are any good? And do I need a circulair polorizer?

C-ya.

Frank Granovski October 13th, 2002 01:19 PM

Tiffen makes very good filters. However, with their specialty filters that they are famous for begin with the 49mm thread size and up. The MX300 has a fither thread size of 43mm. The good news is that you can do a special order from Tiffen, but that will cost you more.

Cokin has the largest selection of filters on the Planet. That's what I'd go with, plus they are inexpensive, so you can experiment by buying a lot of them. I have good filter links on my website, including where to buy Cokins:

www.dvfreak.com

B+W and Heliopan make the best filters, as well as Leica, as far as I know. But some of their filters start with the 49mm only.

I don't know anything about Trikon.

Dreadman October 13th, 2002 03:49 PM

OK, I'll do some searching for Cokins. As I would like to do some experimenting. But I assume it's best to buy a polorizer by B+W or Heliopan as that's probably the one which is going to be used the most.

BTW: Do you know if there are any adapters out there which will enables us to fit larger filters on it?

And once again, thanks!
C-ya.

Frank Granovski October 14th, 2002 04:55 PM

That's called a step-up ring. Just to to a good camera shop for one of these. Try to get a slim one. Be carefull with the size, though, because you want it to fit inside the lens housing.

Dreadman October 15th, 2002 04:53 PM

First of, well I already bought my MX300 today. I paid 1500 Euro's for it at the store, I saw it on other dutch sites shipping for about 2400 Euro's incl. VAT. I bought mine at a store which sells left-overs from burnt down shops. I also have a one year guaranty.

I've tested it quite extencively today, and I'll do some more testing today. I'm really happy with it, though I need to play around with the manual settings a bit and see how I can get the best out of it in low light conditions.

However, I do have some questions about the camera. When I fully zoom in the image I get gets darker, especially in the corners. It happens in all modes (I tried Manual and AE Lock.) Is this normal with this cam?

Now back to the subject, I found an address in Holland where I can order some good filters in the right size. They sell the B+W circulair polorizer for 90 Euro's, also the B+W 486 Digital Pro (UV filter) for the same price.

I'll probably buy the B+W polorizer, but I'll try to look for a cheaper UV filter.

Frank Granovski October 15th, 2002 11:44 PM

If you're zooming in lots of light, you shouldn't see the corners get darker.

Dreadman October 16th, 2002 06:08 AM

Your absolutely right. Just tested it in daylight conditions, no problems what so ever.

I'm really satisfied with the image quality of this camera.

And once more, thanks.
C-ya.

Andre De Clercq October 16th, 2002 06:47 AM

Zoon lenses on consumer camcorder tend to show soft vignetting when zoomed in with full aperture. On the filter issue (apart from polars if needed, I never use filters) try to buy fully coated thin glass type filters. Keep in mind that all filters (and extra optical elements (surfaces) in general, reduce contrast and introduce extra glare effects. Thick glasplates (filters) in front of an optical system also result in extra spherical aberations.