DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-EZ50 (DV951 or MX2000) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/4326-panasonic-ag-ez50-dv951-mx2000.html)

nyc11370 October 14th, 2002 12:11 PM

Panasonic AG-EZ50 (DV951 or MX2000)

B&H is selling the Panasonic AG-EZ50 for $1199.- Is it a good buy ?

AG-EZ50 Mini DV Camcorder, 10x Optical / 100x Digital Zoom, 3.5" Color LCD Monitor, 1/6" 3-CCD, Optical Image Stabilizer, DV I/O

http://www04.bhphotovideo.com/images...ges/227945.jpg

Thanks

Frank Granovski October 14th, 2002 04:46 PM

Yes, that's a good buy, because this cam was going for a lot more when it first came out. This is a good cam, just not as good as the GL2, TRV950, MX3000 and MX5000. But it's still a good small cam.

When you try to decide on a cam, keep in mind that there is always something better. Most buyers, including myself, try to determine what is the best buy in a particular price range. For that price, the EZ50U qualifies. But consider that this cam, like the MX5000, requires more light for good video quality. Even my MX300 is no picnic in lower light than say the VX2000 or a cam with even larger CCDs.

nyc11370 October 16th, 2002 08:19 AM

Thanks !

Thanks !
Also, should I get the Mack 2 Years extended warranty for $89 that B&H sells ?

Frank Granovski October 16th, 2002 06:13 PM

I would....

Steve Nunez January 22nd, 2003 09:50 PM

AG EZ 50

I got to handle the EZ50 at B&H yesterday- super small and the screen is large (3.5").....excellent zoom optics (I zoomed quite a bit and the image was very nice- as judged on the LCD)....

..this camera is my next purchase.

Frank Granovski January 23rd, 2003 01:07 AM

Is it still going for $1199 at B&H? Maybe the price will drop a bit more since this model will replaced within a couple of months. Just wondering.

Steve Nunez January 23rd, 2003 07:19 AM

yep still $1199

Bill Dyszel January 31st, 2003 02:35 PM

Re: Panasonic AG-EZ50 (DV951 or MX2000)

<<<-- Originally posted by nyc11370 : B&H is selling the Panasonic AG-EZ50 for $1199.- Is it a good buy ?

It is. I paid $200 more about 6 months ago, and I love this little critter. I've used XL-1, GL-1 and JVC Streamcorder and I like using this one best. It's tiny, but not toylike, and the big LCD screen is a plus.

If I were trying to make a feature, this cam might not be enough, but for getting good, clear footage, it's fine.

Only gripe - bottom-loading tape transport, which means you can't change tapes without taking the camera off the tripod.

bd

Frank Granovski January 31st, 2003 03:52 PM

"Only gripe - bottom-loading tape transport, which means you can't change tapes without taking the camera off the tripod."

Yes, this is a problem with many cams. My MX300 is bottom loading---so is the TRV30. I'm sure there's a big list. The MX500/0 is side loading.

Steve Nunez January 31st, 2003 06:18 PM

Hey for less than half the cost of a GL2 (of which I own) the AG EZ50 is a GREAT buy.....I can't recommend it anymore than I've already done- it's a great camera- if you're into constant low-light shooting, then the noise in the shadows will likely be a problem...but outdoors or in medium/good lighting- it's a jewel!
The 3.5" screen is better than my GL2's screen...and the AG is very sharp out of the box (sharper than my XL1S was)....

anyway- the AG EZ50 wont be around for much longer at this price range- anyone thinking about getting one should snatch 'em up ASAP.

Frank Granovski January 31st, 2003 07:16 PM

I agree. It's a very good cam for the money. The bottom loading thing is a non-issue for me, even though I use a tripod most of the time. What did this cam retail for when it first came out? About $1800 US?

The lux thing is really a mixed bag for me as well. When you need it and you don't have it, it's a bummer. Nevertheless, the MX300's lux is good, but far from great. The DVL9500's lux is much better, the the cost is a poorer picture. VX2000 anyone?

I e-mailed Pana USA again with some PV-DV953 questions. I wonder if they'll get answered. I'll try to keep everyone informed about this cam. So far, the info is only trickling in, as usual.

Dennis Sladek November 30th, 2003 07:10 AM

I've had the AG-EZ50 for almost a year now and I still love it.
Prices have dropped but it's still a great little camera.

Rick Tugman December 8th, 2003 10:48 PM

The AG-EZ50 is one of the cameras I was considering before I bought the DV953. At one time I was considering the PDX-10. As I have said in this forum before, it all about what you want the camera for and getting to most bang for the buck.

I just returned from a week in New York City and I was like a kid in a candy store at B&H on Wednesday. It's truly an amazing place and actually I was surprised to see the AG-EZ50 still in the store and their catalog. I too liked the 3.5 inch screen and it's size, but felt for a little less money I could get similar results with the DV953. I have been happy with my decision and I don't regret purchasing it. In fact while in New York I finally purchased a wide angle adapter for my Panny. I ended up with the Kenko pro series .5 wide angle adapter. Not a bad price at B & H - 79.00 bucks. It's solid and not to heavy at all. I have not yet used it with the camera but will have to make some test shots and post my obversations for everyone.

Brian De Leenheer December 24th, 2003 08:05 PM

I can't find much info on the web on the EZ50. How does it compare to the 953 in terms of indoor-light performance? Does it have the same manual controls as the 953? I would appreciate any comparison info with the 953 since I will likely buy one of the two of them in the new year. Also, if anyone has any links to EZ50 specs or info, I would appreciate it.

Frank Granovski December 24th, 2003 09:20 PM

The EX50U should be better in lower light, because it has less pixels on its 1/6" CCDs, from what I recall. For specs, just check the MX5000 on Vincent's site. This link can be found 3rd from the top here:

www.dvfreak.com/links.htm

Or check the Pana Pro site for details of the EX50U.