Has anyone tried the Panasonic AG-DVC15? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old October 15th, 2002, 01:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried the Panasonic AG-DVC15?

Hi all:
My local Panasonic dealer has been pestering me to try out an AG-DVC15 MiniDV camera. The specs he's sent me show
- 1/4" CCDs (ouch!)
- built in XLR inputs (line/mic switchable) on shoulder rest
- a swing out LCD
- optional wide adaptor (.7x)
- manual iris and manual focusing on a f1.6 4-48mm zoom lens (w/1 ND setting: 1/8)
- a 16:9 wide mode
-provisions for an Anton Bauer plate and pro battery
This thing is dirt cheap as prosumer cameras go in India.
Anyone tried this cam? Got any comments? I'm trying to set up a test soon, but would appreciate any advance remarks!
Best,
RAm
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:22 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

No way to control zoom and focus "the right way" (from the tripod handle via wired lens controller) puts it out of consideration for me.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:54 AM   #3
Wrangler

It's currently the cheapest shoulder mount DV camcorder with built in XLRs and external meters. Quite popular with some event videographers but the shape may be "love or hate".

I tested the PAL version, the image seems similar to the MX300, which also means it is a low light underachiever...

Regarding remote zoom, you can still control the zoom with the supplied wireless remote and also with the detachable wired remote that comes with the flimsy Panasonic tripod.
Terrence Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi, managed to check out the camera briefly today - haven't shot anything on it yet, but -
Chris: If by the 'right way' you mean zoom ONLY with a tripod handle controller,you're absolutely correct. But the zoom rocker on the lens feels a lot more like the broadcast rockers than the one on the Canon IS-II lens. Personally, I'm used to broadcast ENG cameras w/out handle based controllers - we only use them here for studio based multicam shoots - so this isn't a freat loss to me. The manual iris ring on the lens is a definite plus where I am concerned.
Terrence: Yes,the shape IS love-or-hate! It feels a little too small to be a true shoulder mount camera, but it's not all that awkward either. And the built in XLR audio input - line and mic switchable - sounds good. Low light performance apart, how would you rate the image vis-a-vis 1/3" cams like the XL1S and the PD150? (I haven't used the MX 300).
Some of the TV channels here have placed large quantity orders for the DVC 15 - 150 pieces plus each. I can see it creating that low profile pro-am bridge for ENG work.
My two bits...more after I've run some tests!
Best,
Ram
Old October 15th, 2002, 10:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<so this isn't a freat loss to me.>>

Oops, that should be 'isn't a GREAT loss to me'
*Apologies*
Ram
Old October 15th, 2002, 11:35 AM   #6
Outer Circle

I've read conflicting user reports about this cam. The NTSC North American version has the same internal guts as the AG-EZ30U / PV-DV950 (same CCDs, same video effective pixels etc). The PAL version seems to be a pretty good cam, whereas the NTSC version seems to only be an EZ30U in a different body. The cam is being used by news people here. I saw a CNN camera guy have one about 6 months ago. For the money, I think it's a good cam which does what it's meant to do.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 09:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<< For the money, I think it's a good cam which does what it's meant to do.>>
...which is WHAT, in your opinion, Frank? :-)

<<The PAL version seems to be a pretty good cam, whereas the NTSC version seems to only be an EZ30U in a different body>>
Can you tell me a little more about that? I mean, does the PAL cam differ from the NTSC in terms of any of the hardware specs? (I don't really see how that works out...)
Best,
Ram
Old October 15th, 2002, 11:37 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Re: "which is WHAT, in your opinion, Frank?"

A shoulder cam that's "currently the cheapest shoulder mount DV camcorder with built in XLRs and external meters...popular with some event videographers." ---Terrence

Re: "Can you tell me a little more about that? I mean, does the PAL cam differ from the NTSC in terms of any of the hardware specs?"

Yes, the PAL version has more video effective CCD pixels.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant