DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   What is next for Panasonic GS400? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/43533-what-next-panasonic-gs400.html)

Tony Leung April 25th, 2005 07:50 AM

What is next for Panasonic GS400?

GS400 is released for nearly 1 year. Is it possible to have next 3CCD DV to replace GS400 in this year? GS500?

Any new functions/improvement you wish to be included in the new model?

Tommy Haupfear April 25th, 2005 11:33 AM

A widescreen LCD would be nice.

Michael Struthers April 25th, 2005 07:17 PM

Discontinuation, most likely.

And then a new model.

Tommy Haupfear April 25th, 2005 07:45 PM

Speaking of the GS400 and discontinuation..

Where are all the GS400s? I haven't seen one in stock for quite some time at B&H and elsewhere.

Kin Kwan April 26th, 2005 10:02 AM

Improved low light performance with a killer lens like the Xi would be nice. :D

BTW Tony, have you seen Infernal Affairs? I just noticed you were from HK and you have the same name as the main character from that movie.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.ya...i/infernal.jpg

Sorry to be off topic. :P

Tommy Haupfear April 26th, 2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Improved low light performance with a killer lens like the Xi would be nice.
I'm confused.. I wasn't that impressed with the Xi. I kept mine for about a month after I had sever contrast issues. Not sure if it was lens or CCD related.

Kin Kwan April 26th, 2005 12:36 PM

What I was trying to say was for the GS400 upgrade to have improved low light performance, along with a lens like the Xi. From what I've read here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=15 The Xi's lens only stops down half a f-stop from full wide to full tele!

I've only used the Xi a few times myself, but there hasn't been any contrast issues with my footage.

Sorry about the confusion.

Tommy Haupfear April 26th, 2005 12:40 PM

I definitely agree about the need for improved low light!

Evan C. King April 28th, 2005 03:54 AM

Improved low light is now pushing it's limit. There's only so much a 1/4.7 inch CCD can deliver so I wouldn't get too hopeful, because upping the CCD to a bigger size also ups the price bracket.

Jesse Bekas May 2nd, 2005 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. King
Improved low light is now pushing it's limit. There's only so much a 1/4.7 inch CCD can deliver so I wouldn't get too hopeful, because upping the CCD to a bigger size also ups the price bracket.

Well, they could give up on digital stills and decrese pixel count on the CCD's. 700,000 per CCD would give them a big jump in lowlight reponsiveness.

Dennis Vogel May 12th, 2005 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Bekas
Well, they could give up on digital stills and decrese pixel count on the CCD's. 700,000 per CCD would give them a big jump in lowlight reponsiveness.

Amen. By doing away with the digital stills they could also do away with the memory card hardware and the USB port and cable. Maybe the cost reduction for these things would offset the cost of bigger CCDs.

They could also do away with the digital effects and everything related to processing stills but that's in the software and probably wouldn't save much (other than cleaning up the menus).

Another thing I'd like to see is more controls on the cam instead of running through menus to do various functions an adjustments.

Good luck.

Dennis

Tommy Haupfear May 12th, 2005 02:33 PM

Millions of dollars worth of marketing research can't be wrong...

I mean who doesn't want 8Megapixel stills from their camcorder that can't even compete with a sub $100 digital camera...

:)

Basically, how small can you make a Sony VX2100 while incorporating 16:9 non-megapixel CCDs!

Joshua Provost May 12th, 2005 03:04 PM

I have to say my vote is for eliminating the photo capabilities and getting a bigger CCD with lower pixel count. The video images are above average, but the stills are just horrible, at even moderate resolutions. Don't they know that a big part of the market for this camera is beginning indie filmmakers and people getting started in doing event videography? With all those manual controls, this is for people who are trying to get serious with video work. Can the photo shot modes!

Josh

Douglas Habib May 12th, 2005 04:52 PM

Oddly, I tried calling Panny yesterday to inquire about availability; after 35 mins (!!!) on hold I gave up.....though I've read rumors of a gs-500 I'll believe it when I see it.

John Uchida May 13th, 2005 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Provost
I have to say my vote is for eliminating the photo capabilities and getting a bigger CCD with lower pixel count. The video images are above average, but the stills are just horrible, at even moderate resolutions. Don't they know that a big part of the market for this camera is beginning indie filmmakers and people getting started in doing event videography? With all those manual controls, this is for people who are trying to get serious with video work. Can the photo shot modes!

Josh

I personally don't know about the stills since I haven't even bothered to get a memory stick for my GS400. I've got a good but older digital camera, a Canon G3, and a great one, a Canon 20D. Unless someone gives me a free memory stick, I'm not going to bother.

I would vote for XLR audio support and better audio controls. The next step is HD support.