DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   MX300/3000 tape troubles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/4481-mx300-3000-tape-troubles.html)

Dreadman October 21st, 2002 10:15 AM

MX300/3000 tape troubles

Hi, I've bought my MX300EG (PAL) a week ago. But today I tried some different tapes.

So far, the Fuji ones I've got are the only ones which work.

The other ones I bought didn't. They were the Sony Excellente and the TDK (DVM 60) DV Digital Standard ones.
When I loaded these tapes, I could immediatly hear the cam didn't accept them as it made a strange gggrrrkkrrrggrr sound. Also the red cam mode led started flickering and on the display it said F02 instead of the timecode.
Sometimes the camera even turned off (not because it was paused for 6 min!!) also I wasn't able to get into the menu when these tapes were loaded, and when I ejected the tape it took twice as long before the MX300 spitted it out.

Are there any people out there who've experienced similair stuff with their MX300/3000's? I sure hope it isn't a trouble caused by my cam.

Also, is it best the buy the Panasonic miniDV tapes?

Thanks,
C-ya.

Terrence Smith October 21st, 2002 10:58 AM

The F02 error message means "No Supply Reel Rotation" or in simpler terms; tape slack.

I have used JVC, Panasonic and Sony in the MX300 without any problems, although I stick to Panasonic whenever I can. The alleged ill effect of mixing brands is usually clogged heads, which result in funky artifacts during playback or, worse, no picture at all. Tape slack may be the result of a defective or 'loose' tape. It could also mean faulty transport mechanism (in the cam). Fortunately, in your case, the cam disabled itself, as the consequence can be deadly; with the tape spewing and jamming the entire tape path.

Try to manually wind the take up spool (of the cassette) to 'tighten' the suspect tapes or stick to the Fujis, since it worked for you. While the evidence about mixing tapes (and lubricants) is mostly anecdotal, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Dreadman October 21st, 2002 11:55 AM

Thanks, I've already returned my Sony Excellente ones. I'll do the same for the TDK's.

I've just been reading some stories about the mixing of tapes, so I guess I'll stick to the FUJI ones I've got.
I've bought the FUJI DVM60's, are they good enough?

Thanks,
C-ya.

Frank Granovski October 21st, 2002 01:51 PM

I think Fuji is the best, and not just for the money.

www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Dreadman October 24th, 2002 06:48 AM

The shop were I bought my TDK tapes from also had a MX300 for sale, so I'll ask them to try out the TDK tapes in their MX300.

If it works in their MX300, should I send my cam to a Panasonic check?

Thanks,
C-ya.

Frank Granovski October 24th, 2002 02:02 PM

I haven't heard good things about TDK, nor Maxell. And I had gumming problems with JVC tapes. Personally, I think Fuji is best, the more expensive Panasonic is just as good, and the more expensive Sonys are good. And NEVER MIX TAPES like you are doing. Go read that link I provided. I added more material and links to it last night. Personally, I'd use good tape in a good cam such as the one you own. Why go "cheap" and take a chance with your cam's heads? I don't understand this.

Dreadman October 25th, 2002 09:04 AM

Well, I just wanted to see if the is something wrong with my cam's tape deck. I assume having those tapes in there for such a short while (max 1 or 2 minutes!) won't do any harm. Atleast I hope so?

I won't mix tapes, as soon as I read your replies I immediatly decided not to mix tapes.

Thanks,
C-ya.