to Frank, about 16x9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 2nd, 2002, 11:48 AM   #1
Inner Circle

to Frank, about 16x9

Frank I"ve read the pdf manuals, and looked at info on your site.

I'm still confused as to what almost true 16x9 means. Does that mean true 16x9 recording, 16x9 anamorphic (4x3 streched), or cropped 4x3 (thats what is done traditionally).

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 08:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Frank, hope I haven't offended you with the question.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:47 PM   #3
Outer Circle

From the MX500A user manual posted at:
http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm:

There is the Cinema Function and the Wide Mode Function. In Cinema, "black bars appear at the top and the bottom of the screen. In Wide Mode, "the picture stretches vertically."

* Using the Cinema Mode or Wide Mode does not widen the recording angle.
* If you play back tape recorded in Cinema Mode or Wide Mode on a wide-screen (16:9) format TV, playback size is automatically adjusted to fit the TV screen format. Please refer to the TV's operating instructions for details.
* When images are displayed on a TV screen, the Date/Time indication may be erased in some cases.
* Depending on the TV, the picture quality may be deteriorated.
* In Cinema Mode is cancelled when a Title is displayed.
* The Cinema Mode and Wide Mode cannot be set at the same time.
* It is not possible to record pictures onto a Card in the Cinema Mode and Wide Mode.
* It is recommended not to set the [ASPECT] to [16:9] when using the regular 4:3 formatted TV. (The picture will be displayed stretched vertically.)
* Using the Cinema Mode deactivates [MULTI] and [P-IN-P] of [EFFECT1].
* Depending on the software in use, the imported Cinema picture may not be displayed correctly.

From the MX500 information slides posted at:
http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm

Wide-Screen Mode image captures from an area of 934 pixels horizontal and 768 pixels vertical, then it's processed down to 720 pixels horizontal, 576 vertical (Vertical resoluton: 576 TV lines).

From the Panasonic AU Tech department, posted at:

There is something different with the Wide Screen Mode from the MX300. The MX300 converted 720 x 576 to 720 x 432. Then x 1.33 zoom applied to vertical. MX500 starts with 934 x 768 then converted to 720 x 576 without zoom. Almost appears natural!

From me:

The pixels used are from the CCDs' left to right sides. Top and bottom are sliced off. Then the image is processed to the wide format (like the way the new Sony Pro "hand-held" does it). From 934 X 768 to 720 X 576. What I mean by "near true" is that this is the closest way of getting 16:9 without 16:9 CCDs or using a 16:9 lens.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 09:48 AM   #4
Michael Offe

Have a look at the Power Point slides at...

as they have a graphic explanation of the 16:9 mode.

Yours sincerely,
Michael Offe,
South Australia.
Old November 3rd, 2002, 11:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

>>From me:

The pixels used are from the CCDs' left to right sides. Top and bottom are sliced off. Then the image is processed to the wide format (like the way the new Sony Pro "hand-held" does it). From 934 X 768 to 720 X 576. What I mean by "near true" is that this is the closest way of getting 16:9 without 16:9 CCDs or using a 16:9 lens.
<<

thats the part I needed help with. thanks. The rest sounded like marketing doubletalk.
Old November 3rd, 2002, 11:53 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Re: "the rest sounded like marketing doubletalk."

Well, er, yes. I can just post what I got and what I know. Hopefully I'll get more info from Pana and elsewhere---then I'll post that too.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant