DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   MX500 Disappointing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/4905-mx500-disappointing.html)

Yow Cheong Hoe November 13th, 2002 12:06 AM

MX500 Disappointing

This is editted from my post in DV.com.

I have test driven the MX500 and compared with my MX8 and a friend's MX350. Here are the findings on the MX500.

ABSOLUTELY DISAPPOINTING.

1. The LCD was not as bright, and the colour of the LCD doesn't match the TV as well as the MX8 and MX350, although the recorded colour is the same.
2. The 3CCD doesn't look like the 3CCD at all, as the quality of the image of my MX8 is so similar, even in low light, that I can't tell the difference.
3. The 3.0 Mega Pixel still is 'Pixel Shift', hence the interpolation can still be seen sometimes (noise).
4. The lens have very distinct 'aliens landing' streaking, which is not as bad in the MX8 and MX350.
5. The lens are not as wide (wide-angle) as the MX8 and MX350, but tele is OK. For a camcorder, I believe wide-angle will be better than tele.
6. The firewire port is where you put your hand, hence you can't firewire out 'live'.
7. The 'menu' button is beyond the reach of the thumb, so you'll need to press with your index finger at a very difficult angle. The MX8 and MX350 has the menu at the left of the barrel.

That being said, there are some praises:

1. Tape top loading is a great improvement for tripod or steadicam users.
2. The interpolated 3.0 Mega Pixel stills are better than 1.8 MP of the MX350 (less grainy) but not as sharp as the lower res (1.2 MP) MX8.
3. The center-weighted focusing box feature is a good idea.
4. The center of gravity is VERY good.
5. A shorter body ensures convenience in carry and storage.
6. The wired remote control is similar to LANC, very convenient.

For those using MX8 and MX350, I recommend that you keep your cameras, as my friend and I have decided. For those who are buying a new camera, well, this is still the cheapest 3CCD with semi-pro features in the market, go for it.

That's my 1 cent's worth, my complaints and my opinion. I apologise if I have insulted those who jumped into the MX500, but comparing video quality head-to-head among the three, the MX350 is best, with the MX500 and MX8 very similar. That's 3CCDs against 1CCD!

Thank you, and please comment/reply.

PS. Having hear all the raves on the MX500 on the net, I was really disappointed by this 'budget' model that Panasonic rolled out. As Frank maentioned in DV.com, they do it right somewhere, and they mess up something else.

PPS. I finally bought an MX350 to replace my MX8, for the nicer colours of 3CCDs. The stills from the MX350 is very disappointing, but I got it at a bargain price that's more than 30% off the RRP :).

Chung Lee November 13th, 2002 04:19 PM

Thanx for the info yowch000
Getting confuse now, read alot of positive stuff about this camera,
tomorrow gotta check it out in the store, but its better if there is a comparsion between the mx300 pdx10 and the mx500( is there any site???)

Chungle

Frank Granovski November 14th, 2002 04:43 AM

Model upgrades are always a mixed bag. In some ways the MX300 is better than the MX350 and MX500, in other ways the MX500 is better than the MX350 and MX300.

The main improvement of the MX500 is 540 horizontal lines during playback. The MX300 and MX350 horizontal playback resolution is 500 lines. Also, the LCD screen is larger than the the one on the MX300---and higher resolution than the screen on the MX350.

The MX300 and MX350 are bottom loading; the MX500 is side loading.

The MX500 probably requires more light---a trade off for its higher resolution.

The MX500 does better wide screen.

Which is better? That depends on which characteristics are most important for you. Personally, I love the MX300. But I know that for the most part, the MX500 is an improvement over the 300 (and the 350). That's why I'm saving up my American Pennies to buy one. (But I'm also planning on keeping my MX300...and my DVL9500s.) I am planning on selling my tripod, though, since I now own one older, very heavy cam. I think I'm going to go with a Miller.

Jean King November 22nd, 2002 09:19 PM

MX300/350

Hi! Does anyone know where I can still purchase a MX300/350
(NTSC version?)
Jean King

Frank Granovski November 22nd, 2002 09:26 PM

You could contact Tim. He's posted here. Or get Tim's info here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm

Allan Rejoso November 22nd, 2002 10:07 PM

Jean,

I don't think the NTSC version of the 350 even exists.
The NTSC version of 300 is the Japanese MX3000. I can also get it for you... $1,650 for the complete package.

Regards

Frank Granovski November 22nd, 2002 10:31 PM

Yes, Allan is a reliable source as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure too that the MX350 is only PAL. The MX300 / MX3000 is also a lot better cam than the MX350. The MX5000 has higher resolution, along with being side loading. These are a plus. However, the MX300 requires less lux.