DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   MX, here are my wishes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/4983-mx-here-my-wishes.html)

Yow Cheong Hoe November 17th, 2002 07:01 PM

MX, here are my wishes

Let's discuss a wish-list (and hopefully not too costly) as feedback to Panasonic so that we get a better model next.

What I hope to get from the next 3CCD MX of about US$2000:

1. Leica Lens with widest angle at least as wide as the MX8
2. At least 1/4" CCDs producing 500+ lines
3. Top loading like the MX500
4. Large LCD viewable from all angles like the MX8
5. Wired remote or LANC socket
6. Adjustable zebra sentivity
7. All connection sockets at 1 location, unlike the MX500
8. Quick buttons for picture adjust (soft, saturation) and mic gain
9. Manual flash enabled, like MX8 and MX350
10. At least 3 Mega Pixel stills

I don't think that the items above are too costly to include. Anything else to add on?

Frank Granovski November 18th, 2002 04:10 AM

Yes,

1) wider, longer lens (Wider like the AG-EZ1 and longer like the MX300---I can't recall the zoom on the EZ1. It's been at least 3 years since I used one.)
2) 1/3" CCDs (like the AG-EZ1---but with more pixels)
3) larger viewfinder (like the MX300 and AG-EZ1)

Oh, and I'll keep the higher MX500 resolution. Just the lux needs a bit of work.

That'll do.

Frank Granovski November 22nd, 2002 06:01 AM

I have one more wish: Pana (USA), BRING IN THESE CAMS!!! They're sold everywhere from Russia to Australia, China to Iran. WHY NOT HERE?? (USA, Canada and Mexico)
\--/
0 0
-0-

QUESTION
Why aren't they brought into North America?

(Choose one answer only)

A) Worried that it'll steal Pana Pro sales?
B) Too good a cam for Americans?
C) The best cams aren't allowed into the USA via regular channels?
D) A + B
E) All of the above.

Your answer _____________.
(50 points plus lifetime membership to dvinfo.net)

Yow Cheong Hoe November 22nd, 2002 07:46 PM

More wishes on the MX which shouldn't incur more cost:

1. The on-off switch be MX500 style, as my Lowepro Sideline Shooter pouch often accidentally turns my MX8 and MX350 on.
2. (Personal taste) Matte black finishing for the ENTIRE body, seems cool and looks pro.

Frank Granovski November 22nd, 2002 08:19 PM

Re: " Matte black finishing for the ENTIRE body...."

You'll have to look at the Sony PDX10 or the Japanese version of the GL2, or the USA Pro version of the MX2500 for that. (The Pana AG-EZ1 was black.)

Graham Baker November 24th, 2002 04:22 AM

so was the little known about EZ-30 - a pro version of the European DX100/110 - a lovely little cam with a very pro charcoal crinkle finish and standard wide angle attachment lens, let down only by it's crummy electronic image stabilser...

My guess is that Pana will release a pro version of the MX500 as they often do with their models - even my HS2 dvd recorder has a 'pro' version (available in the US!) although AFAIK there is no 'pro' version of teh MX300/350?
They do need a pro MX500 though to compete with Sony's pro version TRV950...

Allan Rejoso November 24th, 2002 06:36 AM

What pro version TRV950???

The MX5000 is outselling the TRV950 by more than 10 to 1 (unofficially) in Tokyo. I think Mr. Pany is all smiles at the moment and Mr. Sony is wondering what went wrong and how to rectify the situation. But I would be very pleased if Pany would release a new MX with 1/4" CCD and yeah, black body just like the Jap GL2.

Frank Granovski November 24th, 2002 03:32 PM

The pro version of the TRV950 is called the PDX10. It's black, and uses Sony's DVCAM format.

10 to 1..., eh? I'll tell you one thing that's wrong with the TRV950. It's heavy, difficut to grip and pulls to the front left side. It is more of a tripod cam than a hand-held. Still a good cam, though. But the video quality is better with the MX500/0.

Yow Cheong Hoe November 24th, 2002 07:21 PM

Yes, TRV950 has good shots, but for pro-sumers, features, size and COST will be a concern. It's the pros that has no spending limits!

The MX series wins by cost effectiveness.

A point to note, the White balance and auto apeture/gain of the TRV900 and MX8/MX350 is extremely compatible, you can almost not tell the cameras apart, but at high db, the Sony exhibits more noise.

Back to WISH LIST (I keep adding here!):

1. Bigger, yet removal lens hood (it's just a cheap piece of plastic) which will be good to prevent flares and streaks.

2. Anyone reading this forum uses the Voice and MPEG4 features? If not, then drop them to save cost.

Allan Rejoso November 27th, 2002 03:19 AM

The biggest reason why MX5000 is selling so well is obviously the Yen100,000 (approx. US$830) price difference between it and TRV950. With that kind of money, you can buy the following genuine Pany accessories in Japan:

Teleconverter lens
Wideconverter lens
Tripod with LANC control
Extra 8-hour battery
Pany Filter Set
External Stereo Zoom Mic
Video Light with its own battery
Rain & Snow Cover

...and you still have some spare Yen to eat a good bowl of ramen or sushi.

IMO too, Japanese consumers don't care so much about low-light conditions, as compared to the rest of the world, because most of them live in clean well-lighted places.

Personally, if I were to spend an extra Yen100,000 for a 3-CCD videocam, I would by-pass the TRV950 and would rather spend a little bit more and get a GL2.

Frank Granovski November 27th, 2002 03:40 AM

Yup. I'd do the same thing---go for the GL2 over the TRV950. However, here in Vancouver, they go for about the same amount. The GL2 is one nice cam.

What is the street price these days for a MX5000? I heard there's been a couple of price drops.

Frank Granovski December 29th, 2002 04:34 AM

Now for my New Year's wish.

Pana USA will bring in the MX5000 with the same price tag as in Japan.

No, forget that. Pana never wants their flagship handhelds flogged in The States.

Yow Cheong Hoe December 31st, 2002 03:27 AM

You poor sod... wait and wait. Panasonic's bosses ain't gonna hear you!! They are Christmas and New Year partying right now!

Frank Granovski December 31st, 2002 05:07 AM

Ha, ha...yup! I'm sure you're right. But I do p_ss them off by continually bringing this up. I can tell when they reply to my e-mails. The replies ain't pretty. Here's an example:

(Me) "Are you going to bring in the MX5000?"
(Pana USA) "NO! Do not e-mail us again!"

Perhaps, one day, they'll give us the beef!

Yow Cheong Hoe May 8th, 2003 07:59 PM

Just to bump this up for those who have just joined the MX forum, and to say to Frank tht your BEEF is within reach!

Hey, Noticed that the MX500/DV953 looks like a very shortened poker? haha