Lenses for GS400? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Lenses for GS400?

I have searched all day and cannot find any lenses for the GS400. No UV, Polerizing, no nothing. Not even a glass protector for the thing. Does anyone know why or if there is anything of the sort for this camera?

-Kyle
Kyle Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Do you know the threading? 37mm, 42mm ????
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm pretty sure it's like all other Panasonics, at 43mm. If so, just grab a 43-46mm adapter, and use 46mm filters, available practically everywhere.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Kyle, I think you are talking about filters, not lenses.

And yes, there are 43mm filters for the GS400. Not always easy to find but they exist.
Panasonic sells a kit with a clear filter and a ND filter.
I bought an UV filter made by Fujiyama and a circular pl made by Kenko. These are made in Japan and I bought them in Taiwan so I am not sure you can find them where you live.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Kyle, I've got a Hoya 43mm UV filter. As well as this I have a 43/52mm step up adaptor so I can stack 52mm filters - ND+4 or Polariser in my case and both Hoya brand.
Ian Landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:42 AM   #6
Major Player

The GS400, GS250 and DV953 are all 43mm filter threads. Smaller Panasonic 3CCD cams, including the new SDR-S100, are 37mm.

I don't recommend using 43mm filters or lenses with the GS400. It has too wide an angle of view. If you want to stack filters, like using an ND, warming and polarizer, you can easily get vignetting with 43mm. Like Ian, using a stepup to 52 or 55mm and then filters of the larger size will help prevent this. Plus, 52 and 55mm filters are easier to get because they are standard sizes for 35mm cameras. 55mm looks better, IMO, because it is the same size as the stock hood OD and that is what I prefer to use. Also, there are several clip on hoods that are 55mm. However, most 55mm stepup rings will bind the focus ring unless you use a spacer. I understand that the Olympus 55mm stepup does not bind. This is with the stock hood removed.

Likewise, use conversion lenses with 52 or 58mm back threads to avoid vignetting. I have wide angles with 46mm back threads that vignette with the GS400 although they work fine with the GS250, 150, 120, 65, and DV953. I do have a Kodak .65X wide that has 43mm back threads that will work, but it is not zoom through. You *might* be able to use wides with 43mm back threads that have multipliers of .7X or larger but you'll have to test them first.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Kyle,

B&H Photo Video has tons of 43mm filters. As guy says, though, better to get a step-up ring (also availabel through B&H or any other photography store) and invest in 52mm or 55mm filters.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant