GS400 vs. DV953 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Major Player

GS400 vs. DV953

Ok sorry for another thread right after another but this is another important question of mine. DVspot and other reviews of these 2 cameras compare them and give basically the same results. Excellent image quality, the DV953 has the better still photo's but what im really concerned about is the other stuff like image quality, controls, etc. Which would you suggest and why? I can get either but I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Thanks,

-Kyle
Kyle Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Wrangler

As an owner of the 953, I can tell you that it's a wonderful camera and will give you beautiful video given if ample light to work with. The 1/6 ccd's are a little blind in low light, but that's to be expected. You wouldn't be disappointed with either camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Its not about me not being dissappointed, I want to know what I can really do with this camera. Ill be using this for school video projects and want to know if I can later get a upgradable mic like the DM-50, and a good tripod. I was looking at the GS250, is the audio level manual control the only huge difference between that and the GS400? The still photo on the GS400 is better but big deal to me, lol. Anyone else have any input?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

That kit looked sweet to me.

-Kyle
Kyle Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM   #4
Major Player

If you have a choice, get the GS400. The DV953 is a great camcorder, but the GS400 has better picture quality in low light and is more sensitive. The manual controls are better. And, it shoots full quality widescreen. You can use external mics with either one.

The spread between the GS400 and GS250 is more than just audio level control. LCD, manual controls, picture adjust, true widescreen are some.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:53 AM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks for chiming in Guy. I remember when we held my DV953 and your GS400 up next to each other at NAB. Apparently, they have more similarity on the outside than they do inside. Can you expand on the 'more manual control' with the GS400?

-gb-
Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Greg,
Well, the GS400 has a multi-manual ring. In addition to focus, you can adjust iris, shutter, and zoom. Also, the picture adjust adds exposure and contrast to the sharpness and color settings on the DV953. Lastly, the GS400 offers Procinema mode which is frame mode with cinema-like picture settings and gamma.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:59 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
Hi Greg,
Well, the GS400 has a multi-manual ring. In addition to focus, you can adjust iris, shutter, and zoom. Also, the picture adjust adds exposure and contrast to the sharpness and color settings on the DV953. Lastly, the GS400 offers Procinema mode which is frame mode with cinema-like picture settings and gamma.
Thanks Guy for the info. I have also been praising some still images posted by Leigh Wansted in another thread. Those are great stills considering they're coming from a camcorder.

-gb-
Old September 3rd, 2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, Leigh takes some really fine stills with the GS400.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM   #9
Major Player

Although almost any decent digital camera will blow away either of these cam's photo capabailities, which is why I pretty much never take stills with my GS400. That said, I love my GS400...
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:50 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder
Although almost any decent digital camera will blow away either of these cam's photo capabailities, which is why I pretty much never take stills with my GS400. That said, I love my GS400...
Hi Bill,

I just couldn't resist telling you this link. ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant