Where to buy in Japan? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 27th, 2002, 08:41 PM   #1
Greg Sholdt

Where to buy in Japan?

Konnichiwa. I am an ex-pat living in Okayama, Japan and looking to invest in a Panasonic camcorder but not sure where to find the best prices in Japan. There appear to be several regulars that live in Japan and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

For several years I lived in Tokyo before moving to Okayama last year. I was a couple of train stops away from Akihabara and now desperately miss that electronics mecca.

Based on the prices I have seen at the large computer/electronics department stores in my area, shopping on the net is the way to go. Do you know of any e-stores regularly offering great deals?

What I am looking for:

My budget constraints have me debating between the NV-GX7 and the MX1000, both of which I think I can find for around 88,000 give or take. I really like the size of the GX7 but feel the MX1000 may be the better camera.

I may be able to stretch my budget to pick up the MX25000. Is it worth the month or two of eating only 'cup-ramen' for this upgrade?

I would love to be able to get the MX5000 or MX3000 but am afraid that they are out of range. Has anyone seen either of these cameras closer in price to 110,000?

Finally, I see a lot of 'used' cameras on sale on the net. It seems I could get a better camera for a lower price but am afraid of getting a lemon.

Thanks for any ideas you can pass on.

Greg in Okayama,
Home of One of Japan's Top 3 Gardens (and not much else)
Old November 27th, 2002, 09:37 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I'm sure that when the 3 members here see your post, who live in Japan, will post suggestions on where to buy. I can't help you with this one.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2002, 10:10 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Howdy, Greg.

I'm not sure where Okayama is...how far out are you from Tokyo? Let me know next time you hit the city.

The two best retailers I've found in Tokyo so far are:

Fujiya Avic Pro Shop
http://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/proshop/
At Nakano Station on the Tozai line (find it just north of Shinjuku on the subway map). Take the north exit out of the station and walk 5 minutes to Broadway Shopping Center. Located on the 4th floor.
Tel. (03) 3386-5910
Fax (03) 3389-5655
E-mail: pro@fujiya-avic.co.jp

PV-Station.com
http://www.pv-station.com/
Exit Shinjuku Station and walk toward CitiBank (on the right side of the street). Immediately after passing CitiBank, turn right into a small alley/shopping street. At the first intersection, PV-Station.com will be on the opposite left corner. Located on the 3rd floor.
Tel. (03) 5909-5596
Fax (03) 3343-3334
E-mail: masudat@hisco.co.jp

To be honest, I only buy inexpensive items from them or things that I need quickly. Otherwise, I order everything from the States. For expensive things like cameras, you can probably buy a ticket to the West Coast, pay for a hotel and rental car, buy the equipment there, and fly back...and still wind up paying less than the local Japan price...a LOT less!

If you order from overseas, be prepared to pay the Customs tax. I'm not sure what it is officially...but seems to be around 10% of the value only (unlike Korea where they charged 20% of the value PLUS the shipping - pirates)
Old November 27th, 2002, 10:56 PM   #4
Trustee

Or you can cruise the back streets of Arkihabara. The big stores on the main streets have some things and tourist prices. It:s the smaller vendors in the back streets when the best prices can be found. Don't be afraid to haggle, the Japanese don't usually do this but if you do it politely you can score yourself some bargins. My wife go us 10000 off the price of a multi-standard tv just for asking.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 12:04 AM   #5
ChorizoSmells

Haven't been to Okayama in about 3 years, my wife and I stopped there on the way back from visiting Hiroshima, went to a friend's photo exhibition, also went to the cherry blossom festival, had to cross a bridge then go down the banks, pretty nice, a real long stretch of sakura trees.

There's only one place in Osaka that I buy my video gear at, that's Ippinkan, www.ippinkan.co.jp
ph. 06-6644-9101
fax 06-6644-6990

they have new and used gear, anything from betacams to xl-1s to projectors.

Mr. Fukunaga is the guy I always talk to.

If you buy a camera here then you'll get a japanese menu in the viewfinder, if want an English menu then you'll have to order from overseas.

Used cameras have a 6 month warantee from the shop, all the used gear I've bought there has been in excellent shape.

There is another used video camera store, I don't know what their warantee is on used gear,

VideoKinki
www.videokinki.co.jp
ph. 06-6636-6262
fax 06-6636-6263

they don't have too much used stuff, mainly betacams, they even have several cranes/jibs.

the last time there I saw some vx-2000's and gl-1's

not familiar with panasonic cameras, hope this info is helpful.
Old November 28th, 2002, 12:06 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rik,

Ever see a used Steadicam or Glidecam at either of those places?
Old November 28th, 2002, 12:21 AM   #7
ChorizoSmells

They stopped selling Steadicams there at VideoKinki even though they run the Steadicam users video on the tv on the floor. they have some german handheld steadicam like thingy. It's a tubular half circle Steadicam Jr. kinda looking like stabilizer device. Forgot how much it was. maybe 160,000, can't be sure. they said they rarely get a used steadicam, but they had a used one there about 2 years ago, it sold quickly, they doubt they'll get one soon.

they have at least 4 cranes/jibs there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant