XLR and GS400 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 27th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLR and GS400

Hi. I was thinking of upgrading my GS400 to a DVC30. But I think the 16:9 on the GS400 is better, so I'm thinking of sticking with the GS400. My main concern is that I want better audio. Can anyone recommend a good XLR adapter to use with the GS400? Would it be comparable to DV30 audio?

Robert
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Major Player

http://www.beachtek.com/

I have one of these and it works great. You will want to always use headphones to monitor the sound, especially if the camera doesn't have a sound meter.

By the way I was thinking of getting a GS400. How does the Pro-Cinema setting look?
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Tony,

You can have a look here for Pro-Cinema setting look 16 by 9.

Click here

For some reason that video looks like 4 by 3. I don't know why.

Here is a video 4 by 3 normal look. I just hope to get free hint about what is the right way to play the piano. So I put this video on my website.

Click here

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
By the way I was thinking of getting a GS400. How does the Pro-Cinema setting look?
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #4
Major Player

The XLR-PRO is a passive unit that many of us GS400 users are using.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
Is there a particular model you recommend? Is it better to have phantom power? Also, does anyone know if you can hook up the Beachtek VU meters with these, so that both are operational at the same time.
Quote:
I love it - I shoot almost exclusively on that setting. With a couple tweaks with MB and Vegas, I get the look I want. I have to turn down some of the color, sharpness, contrast, etc, in order to be able to manipulate later with MB and vegas, though. I wish I had some online films you could watch to get a feel -- my recent one, won an audience award for the local 48 Hour Film contest. The best way I can describe it is to compare it to the GL2, which we also used on the set. The 16:9 is better than the GL2's, but the frame modes are comparable (I couldn't tell any difference). The GS400 tends to be warmer in color than the GL2.

My main problem is that I still get crappy sound. So I'm looking for a good adapter. Otherwise, I may have to suck up and get a camera with good XLR.
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
The XLR-PRO is a passive unit that many of us GS400 users are using.
Excellent. Any particular model? And does it require external electrical outlet hook-up, or does it use a battery? I couldn't tell from checking out the Studio1 site.

And while I'm at it, if you don't mind me asking, what shotgun mike are you currently using with it?
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Honestly, I HATE the procinema mode on my GS400... But I LOVE my camera. I'd rather shoot normal widescreen (no procinema) in the field and go for the movie/cinema look in post anyday. Longer renders (but it sound like you are tweaking color and whatnot anyway), but way more flexibility. Also, FRAME mode on the GS (which is being used when in procine mode), it a kind of pseudo progressive process, not a true progressive process, where you are actually losing resolution by going that way. I'd rather shoot will full vertical resolution and deinterlace in post with a smarter motion-based delacer if that is the look I'm after. Anyway, just a few thoughts...
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Robert, the XLR-PRO is the model.. http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr...udio-mixer.htm

I bought it so I could use my Rode VM and wireless mic at the same time. It is not powered, so long XLR cable runs will not have the benefit of a balanced circuit. I have no problems recommending the unit.

Bill, the GS400's frame mode does not seem to suffer resolution loss when tested against 60i. It looks like the luma info is all there, but some chroma will be missing due to the green CCD timing during frame mode. Tests that we've done with EIA1956 and subjectively have not turned up noticeable differences in resolution. This contradicts Steve Mullen's article stating that frame mode on some other cams would result in a drop of vertical resolution to about 320 lines. In addition, Joshua P's tests with pro-cinema would suggest that Panasonic's Cinne Gamma technology is being used to increase dynamic range....a few of us are taking another hard look at pro-cinema.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant