www.supervideo.com/MXmouse.htm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 1st, 2002, 10:00 PM   #1
Outer Circle

www.supervideo.com/MXmouse.htm

http://www.supervideo.com/MXmouse.htm

Funny name for a MX page, but this page is packed with great MX camera information on the:

1) MX300/0
2) MX350
3) MX500/0

Plus, it just has been updated with even more info including an excellent review by a MX5000 owner. It seems that Charles Littman has been working day and night to post new infomation about these cams. Mind you, be prepared to sit down for a while, with a cup of coffee. There's a lot of reading there.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 11:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

>>There's a lot of reading there.<<
There is a lot of the usual self promoting hype there.

So far Yowch000 is the only one who has given a fair review of the camera. He (I assume he) is the only one to deal with the real world performance issues of this cam.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 04:25 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Yes, Yowch000 did a good job.

You just have to read through the hype. That's what I do. I even read bad articles about cams, often there's still something there whorthwhile to absorb. Anyway, I thought that page was worth mentioning. Perhaps more reviews will be added there.
Old December 4th, 2002, 11:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the compliments.

It was a friend who recommended that I test drive the MX500 before buying it. I was so convinced by all the hype that I almost jumped straight in. Well, the test drive showed the pros and cons clearly.

So, to prevent others, especially newbies, from falling into the advertisers' trap, I wrote that review on the MX500. It is a good cam, for the price, but there are always trade-offs. If we are aware of the limitations before we buy, we will be more tolerable/appreciative of the camera.

I am glad that my review is well recieved. Being of "I" personality (moderate), I seek to please, hence the review I made included both the pros and cons. Actually, I am hoping for Panasonic to read the thread on "MX, here are my wishes".

And on the personal side, I am a father of a 6-month old girl, so, "Yes", I'm a "he". Call me YowCH, the 000 is to make the minimum 8 characters.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 11:50 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I'll e-mail Pana tonight and bring up your review. How's that?

Congrats on your baby! I'm still working for my first one. No results yet! Maybe we're too old (to have children).

I do have 1 black baby, though. I picked her up from the cat shelter on Jan 1st, a few years ago. And yes, her name is baby. (She came with that name.)

Yes, your review was welcomed. It's always good to get real world users to write their take. Besides, you and me, along with others, are users and geeks, not sales people.
Old December 5th, 2002, 02:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks YowCH. And Congrats on the 6 month old girl. I have a 25 year old son my wife and I are putting through film school. He's just about ready to graduate. Myadvice? Start saving now.

Anyway, before your review I had serious reservations about getting the camera. The old chuckmeister pulled a really bad stunt over at DV.com and I no longer beleive anything he says on any subject. Even when I know he's telling the truth, there is always some angle to it. He's been talking about the local CompUSA and BrandsMart (not far from where we both live) and making them out to be the low price leaders of the world. Really weird. They are no differenct than any of the other discount electronic chains.

After your review, I'm actually interested in the camera. Knowing its limitations and strengths will help me in buying the right equipment for sound and lighting. Having a useful frame mode, sorta true 16x9 and good ergonomics and a useful still image mode can make for a great low end camera. Just light the scenes correctly.
Fortunately with Allan Rejoso, and the OZ dealers, there is an alternate source away from the ol chuckmeisters references.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 05:49 PM   #7
Outer Circle

For NTSC - go with Tim or Allan Rejoso. They both have posted on this forum, and I know Tim fairly well. Allan has also got some MX cams for people and seems to be a good guy.

For PAL - lots of places, but in Australia, Camera Action seems the best place to buy one. Camera Action was even cheaper than a Duty Free shop I was recommended by a video guy I know well in Perth.

If anyone knows of any other great dealers, start a new thread and post this information (with link). That should help potential buyers who visit here. Thanks.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant