DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   how to use the GS400 to record directly from TV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/57057-how-use-gs400-record-directly-tv.html)

Andreas Griesmayr December 29th, 2005 04:39 PM

how to use the GS400 to record directly from TV?

I would like to use my Panasonic NV-GS400 as a video recorder, recording TV program directly from the TV. I have my cam connected to my TV set with both the AV and the S-Video cables, but I do not get the TV image into the cam.
Can anybody please try to explain how to do it?
I may have to mention that I do have the japanese 'black mamba' with japanese menu only, and the manual for the US NTSC model.

P.S.:About a year ago it was this forum which helped me to decide which cam, my very first Videocamera, to buy. I have been enjoying the cam a lot and have produced my first DVDs, thank"s again, Allan and all the others.

Georg Liigand December 29th, 2005 04:48 PM

I have recorded several times with GS400 from TV and I used AV RCA cables for that. Firstly, I don't think it's a good idea to keep both S-Video and RCA in the cam. Pick one. Secondly, there was maybe something needed to be done in the menus, so make sure you check there. If you don't get the picture then either, it might be something with your TV set. Can you maybe try with some other TV?

Boyd Ostroff December 29th, 2005 05:01 PM

Are you perhaps trying to record PAL TV with an NTSC camera? I don't think that will work...

Andreas Griesmayr December 29th, 2005 05:23 PM

yes, you are right, it is a PAL TV, and my cam is the japanese NTSC GS400...
another issue could be that the connections on the TV are 'video in', not 'video out'

Boyd Ostroff December 29th, 2005 06:22 PM

You aren't going to be able to record PAL on an NTSC camera, the formats aren't compatible. Unfortunately this is a real problem when you buy a camera that uses a different format from the standard in your country.

Eddy Strickland February 22nd, 2006 08:46 AM

I'd do this as a one off if I were you rather than a regular event, you do not want to put hours on the head unless you can help it.
That's my view anyway, the less hours on the head the better

Andreas Griesmayr February 22nd, 2006 09:36 AM

Which would be the best way to record a TV program digitally?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Strickland
I'd do this as a one off if I were you rather than a regular event, you do not want to put hours on the head unless you can help it.
That's my view anyway, the less hours on the head the better

thank's, this is a really good advice. When I asked the question a program was running on TV of which I would have liked to us some parts to include in a video of mine.
Generally speaking, which would be the best - simplest resp. cheapest way to record a TV program digitally? Is it having a PC with a TV card, and then recording on HD? ( A HD DVD recorder is expensive, and therefore not my option )

Boyd Ostroff February 22nd, 2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas Griesmayr
When I asked the question a program was running on TV of which I would have liked to us some parts to include in a video of mine.

Of course you're aware there are some copyright restrictions related to doing this...

Andreas Griesmayr February 22nd, 2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Of course you're aware there are some copyright restrictions related to doing this...

well yes, I am. But to tell you frankly I also have been using any music freely with my videos and never felt bad about it, as so far it was only a handfull, ok, maybe two handfull by now, of friends/family members who have seen my videos. No real problem then, is it?

Robert M Wright February 22nd, 2006 01:06 PM

I thought the NV-GS400 was the PAL version (and the PV-GS400 was the NTSC version).

First thought that came to my mind though, is that using a DVD recorder would be much less expensive (no head wear on the GS400, and lower media cost). In the states, DVD recorders can be purchased under $100(USD).

Robert M Wright February 22nd, 2006 01:14 PM

Another approach would be to purchase a real cheap camcorder (like on eBay) that can record from A/V in. I've picked up a few low end miniDV cameras in real good shape for around $100(USD) on eBay (all NTSC though). Great for using as a capture deck for capturing from the tapes you shoot with the more expensive cameras too.

Andreas Griesmayr February 22nd, 2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
I thought the NV-GS400 was the PAL version (and the PV-GS400 was the NTSC version).

First thought that came to my mind though, is that using a DVD recorder would be much less expensive (no head wear on the GS400, and lower media cost). In the states, DVD recorders can be purchased under $100(USD).

isn't it just the other way around? The 'N' in NV-GS400 standing for NTSC, and the 'P' in PV-GS400 for PAL?

A stand alone HD DVD recorder under US$100, yes?

Tom Wills February 22nd, 2006 09:21 PM

I know that this is a little late, but your problem is twofold. Your PAL tv which you are trying to record off of, does it have RCA AV outs? I'm doubting it does. Most TVs don't have outs at all. You'd have to use a tuner, and then a PAL-NTSC converter, as a PAL tuner very well may not use RCA for connections, and it's hit or miss with wether or not the camera can do the conversion.

Andreas Griesmayr February 22nd, 2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wills
I know that this is a little late, but your problem is twofold. Your PAL tv which you are trying to record off of, does it have RCA AV outs? I'm doubting it does. Most TVs don't have outs at all. You'd have to use a tuner, and then a PAL-NTSC converter, as a PAL tuner very well may not use RCA for connections, and it's hit or miss with wether or not the camera can do the conversion.

hmm, though right now I do not have the need to record from the PAL TV any more, thank's for the input. I am still curious, and I hope others too, to find out the best way to do it.
My PAL TV did not have any outs at all as I had to realize, but it is connected to a tuner receiving sattelite TV. So I could hook up a converter directly to my receiver, and that converter would have the outs I need, yes? How much would be such a converter? Any brand names?

Still I am curious if having a PC with a TV card ( mine doesn't have any TV card yet ) would allow to record the TV program directly to the HD. Is that not the easiest and cheapest solution? If so, could I mix those PAL signals with my own NTSC shots in post productiuon with Vegas, or would I have to convert one first?

Robert M Wright February 22nd, 2006 10:35 PM

Panasonic consumer camcorders sold in the US have the prefix "PV." The camcorders with the "NV" prefix are sold in other parts of the world (although you can purchase them here if you really want to).

Plenty of DVD recorders are available in the US for $100(USD) or less. I have no idea what prices are like in other countries.

You could get a TV tuner/capture card for your computer too (making sure the tuner is a PAL tuner, of course).